PDA

View Full Version : Does Alberta fishing suck?

troutLakeJohnnie
09-09-2015, 06:14 PM
I was born in Calgary. I have TRIED to fish around in Alberta with scant results. I bought a place in Trout Lake, BC and have found a fishing Mecca.

Are there any decent fishing spots left in Southern Alberta? Seems like anything within 300km of Calgary is fished-out, dead zone.

fishstix
09-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Lol....are you kidding? I rarely leave the 300 km zone around calgary and always have gteat fishing. We've got lots. Sometimes you have to look right below your nose.

Chief16
09-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Need to put the miles on and get where the people aren't

FlyTheory
09-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Definitely the more discreet and inconspicuous places you go, the better the fishing gets. Even if you go certain places in downtown Edmonton, the fishing is better in low access areas on the NSR. Same applies to the bow and elbow, and all the places around Calgary.

whitetail Junkie
09-09-2015, 07:42 PM
I was born in Calgary. I have TRIED to fish around in Alberta with scant results. I bought a place in Trout Lake, BC and have found a fishing Mecca.

Are there any decent fishing spots left in Southern Alberta? Seems like anything within 300km of Calgary is fished-out, dead zone.

I've fished AB,BC,ON and Quebec and out of them all AB was last on the list,but I wouldn't say it sucks.....unless your into wimpy trout then Albertas probly first on some guys lists :evilgrin:

HuyFishin
09-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Fishing is really good here, it better everywhere else though lol

lone wolf
09-09-2015, 08:22 PM

Suggest you move to Trout Lake, BC and leave the 'dead zones' to the rest of us poor slobs. After many years of 'paid access' to fish in the UK, I find that Alberta has some pretty fair fishing ........ IMHO :scared0018:

fluxcore
09-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Growing up in BC on Vancouver island I would be the first one up on Saturdays watching fishing shows and dreaming of catching a pike or walleye lol, now I wish it was salmon, ling cod, halibut and steelhead I was a big time steelhead fisherman the old man was a guide. It's great fishing in Alberta, as far as inland fishing it's awesome with the verity, only thing I miss is the salt now and then. I'd take Alberta over BC, crazy right! It's simple BC is mostly seasonal and Alberta I can jump on the ice and go after some monsters all year.

hacman
09-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Seriously?! Must have high expectations. From Calgary and you're unable to find fish, I highly doubt you "TRIED" very hard but I could be wrong. Moving to a place called Trout Lake sounds like it was just what you needed.

stevens
09-09-2015, 08:34 PM
yeah it sucks

tight line
09-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Fished coast to coast and love Alberta, not sure if its the best, but i have caught alot of fish here, and had some days that i will remember the rest of my life! Nothing Sucks about that!

JD848
09-09-2015, 08:40 PM
When you can go out and bang 80 fish per day 2or3 guys say that;s good fishing,i lived on Lake of the woods Ontario and thousands of people think it's great,i think it's ok,but fishing in northern Ontario is hard to beat,but I have only fished cold lake,so it may be real good in alberta in some places.

Brandonkop
09-09-2015, 08:52 PM
I think Alberta is awesome fishing... year round I can go to many lakes and have 50-100 fish days. I fish in BC and it's kind of slow... a little boring just trolling around all the time. But I got to say that the Saltwater is fun! I agree fishing here is very seasonal. Salmonids seem more temerature sensitive that our pike, walleye and perch. They seem to shut off in the winter and summer, only really good fall and spring here. Some of the ice fishing I've done though in BC has been pretty great. I still love fishing in alberta and miss it. Look around there are lots of fish to be had.

junglejay7320
09-09-2015, 08:58 PM
fishing in alberta does not suck...although you you can't keep a fish unless it is a sucker or you pay to be put in a draw and then pay for a tag and then pay to buy a license...o yeah but first you pay to buy a win card....alberta srd sucks!!!

FlyTheory
09-09-2015, 09:05 PM
fishing in alberta does not suck...although you you can't keep a fish unless it is a sucker or you pay to be put in a draw and then pay for a tag and then pay to buy a license...o yeah but first you pay to buy a win card....alberta srd sucks!!!

Our SRD sucks cuz they don't do much to help fisheries lol

troutLakeJohnnie
09-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Get bent, scumbag! I asked a fair question with no ill intent. I hope that one day if you want decent fishing, you get double billed to fish in BC.
Get a grip!

Suggest you move to Trout Lake, BC and leave the 'dead zones' to the rest of us poor slobs. After many years of 'paid access' to fish in the UK, I find that Alberta has some pretty fair fishing ........ IMHO :scared0018:

weedhaul
09-09-2015, 09:30 PM
I've done well around Calgary, and have had some really poor outings in BC. Depends how you fish and what you're after I guess.

troutLakeJohnnie
09-09-2015, 09:35 PM
Words of wisdom, I suppose.

I've done well around Calgary, and have had some really poor outings in BC. Depends how you fish and what you're after I guess.

WayneChristie
09-09-2015, 09:36 PM
Get bent, scumbag! I asked a fair question with no ill intent. I hope that one day if you want decent fishing, you get double billed to fish in BC.
Get a grip!

awesome attitude. maybe if you cant catch fish you should learn how?? I just had a 24 inch walleye for supper I caught after a 12 hour shift at work and released 2 more and 2 pike. best fish in Alberta to date was over 6 feet long and ive had 200 fish days. maybe you need to get bent?

catnthehat
09-09-2015, 10:00 PM
awesome attitude. maybe if you cant catch fish you should learn how?? I just had a 24 inch walleye for supper I caught after a 12 hour shift at work and released 2 more and 2 pike. best fish in Alberta to date was over 6 feet long and ive had 200 fish days. maybe you need to get bent?

Yup, fishing sure sucks in Alberta - if you are a lousy fisherman, right , Wayne?

The guy is a pure argumentative troll, he proved that in the guns and ammo forum and re-proving it in the fishing forum here.
What's next, the trapping forum?:thinking-006:
Maybe the archery forum.
Cat

Winch101
09-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Definite case of trollamatosis , I guessing politico next
The style tells me this is a return engagement.

pinelakeperch
09-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you aren't a very good fisherman.

catnthehat
09-09-2015, 10:35 PM

Oh yeah, banned camp escapee for sure- dang we just got rid of one of those!:thinking-006:
Cat

fishead
09-09-2015, 10:36 PM

Agreed

JD848
09-09-2015, 10:42 PM
If you sit to long in a boat you get the same attitude as johnnie plus a bad case of baboon ass,and no fish.I have friends that tell me they have great fishing in alberta.

Hydro1
09-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Oh yeah, banned camp escapee for sure- dang we just got rid of one of those!:thinking-006:
Cat

He started a thread In the archery section earlier.
It was deleted.
Not for trolling though.
I always find it a little ironic people trolling in the fishing section.:thinking-006:

Edit: Whoops quoted wrong comment.

Bhflyfisher
09-10-2015, 12:29 AM
the only thing that sucks in alberta is our stocked fisheries. The rest is way above average, but still does not come close to BC.

KegRiver
09-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Maybe it's because I remember what it used to be like but here the fishing is not good.

Mind you it's not bad in the lakes but the rivers are getting to be a waste of time, fishing wise.

Open for only half the year and with a limit of only three each of the two primary species I can live with but when I can spend a whole day fishing and not get one bite I figure it's pretty near pathetic.

It's not because I don't know how to fish either. I've fished these rivers for over fifty years and I've caught my limit many times, twenty years ago I seldom caught less then my limit, now I almost never catch my limit, in these rivers.

Lake fishing is relatively new to me, I wasn't able to fish the local lakes until three years ago. I didn't own a boat until then.
Yet I have no problem catching my limit in these lakes. Or in the Pacific Ocean which I have only fished twice in my life.

These rivers just don't have a healthy fish population any more and that hurts cause the few lakes we have are a long drive for most of us.
2 1/2 hours to Winagami and 3 hours to Rainbow Lake. One way.

traxxis87
09-10-2015, 07:32 AM
I have fished west coast of BC to Manitoba.

What I really like about Alberta is that it is the only province of the four that you can fish pike/walleye and browns and bulls in the same day.

With that being said and I hope this doesn't ruffle too many feathers, I do believe BC, sask and Manitoba have better trophy fishing......or maybe I just cant find the big ladies........... any tips are welcome!!!!! :)

Dewey Cox
09-10-2015, 07:42 AM
Get a grip!

The fishing doesn't suck.
But your attitude does.

58thecat
09-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Like life it is what you make of it!!!

mickeyjim
09-10-2015, 08:23 AM
The guy has a point. If you are after pike or walleye, you are more often than not going to have a fairly slow day. The reservoirs in southern Alberta aren't exactly teeming with fish. That being said, the quality of fish that these lakes can produce is fairly impressive! Gotta work for it though

Dom4
09-10-2015, 08:46 AM
He started a thread In the archery section earlier.
It was deleted.
Not for trolling though.
I always find it a little ironic people trolling in the fishing section.:thinking-006:

Edit: Whoops quoted wrong comment.
Good one, made me laugh. :)

diamonddave
09-10-2015, 09:00 AM
At least the people in the fishing section can recognize a troller for what he is :sHa_shakeshout:

The guy is a joke

Okotokian
09-10-2015, 09:03 AM
I often think the fishing around here isn't that good. Then I hear of other guys having great days. I think it's mostly me and my skills, or lack there of. :)

Now of course there aren't a lot of fishing resorts within 100 miles of Calgary, so fishing is likely better at more remote spots, but I hear of people having very productive days around here.

Nester
09-10-2015, 09:11 AM
Yep it is.

Overfished, variety is small, fish are small, nothing to exciting about fishing in Alberta. It is still a great sport though.

Dom4
09-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Why so much negativity?

Mamba
09-10-2015, 09:32 AM
I fish Lake Newell year round. Check it out. Less than 2 hrs from Calgary.

Winch101
09-10-2015, 09:38 AM
As someone who has been on here for 8 yrs , I'm asking
Did you join today to defend Alberta Fishing .....admirable
Or to tell us that Lake Newell is a fantastic fishery . Is
That because it's closed and totally C&R ...
In any case ......welcome to AO

WayneChristie
09-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Keg next time you are in my hood I will learn ya how to river fish ;) people are too quick to complain about the fishing but not willing to put in the time to explore. If course thete arent many fish when people are fishing shoulder to shoulder in the same worn out spots. Get out if earshot of the next guy and you might be surprised how good fishing can be. Fishing not catching is the whole point of the experience to me at least. I didnt know squat abouf pike and walleye fishing so I thought it was the fish til I put in the time to learn, Ive now caught pike and walleye most people can only dream about because I spent the time to learn how to fish for them and adjusted my lucky horseshoe. I love Alberta fishing I have no complaints. 214 pound walleye 1 32 pound pike and a 6 foot plus lake sturgeon plus numerous others over 5 feet. Tell me again how the fishing sucks here?:sHa_shakeshout:

stuckincity
09-10-2015, 09:49 AM
It only sucks when I have a bad day and don't catch any......:thinking-006:

huntsfurfish
09-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Some people can catch fish, some cant.:)

stuckincity
09-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Some people can catch fish, some cant.:)

I don't remember who said it on these forums, but:

"Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and you will have another guy to compete against at the next tournament.
Don’t teach him to fish."

Fishfinder
09-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Keg next time you are in my hood I will learn ya how to river fish ;) people are too quick to complain about the fishing but not willing to put in the time to explore. If course thete arent many fish when people are fishing shoulder to shoulder in the same worn out spots. Get out if earshot of the next guy and you might be surprised how good fishing can be. Fishing not catching is the whole point of the experience to me at least. I didnt know squat abouf pike and walleye fishing so I thought it was the fish til I put in the time to learn, Ive now caught pike and walleye most people can only dream about because I spent the time to learn how to fish for them and adjusted my lucky horseshoe. I love Alberta fishing I have no complaints. 214 pound walleye 1 32 pound pike and a 6 foot plus lake sturgeon plus numerous others over 5 feet. Tell me again how the fishing sucks here?:sHa_shakeshout:

That is one large walleye there Wayne!
Surely that's a record no??
:scared0018:

Do tell, whereabouts does one search for a 214# walleye. Just general area, not looking for honey hole.:test::bad_boys_20:

WayneChristie
09-10-2015, 12:19 PM
That is one large walleye there Wayne!
Surely that's a record no??
:scared0018:

Do tell, whereabouts does one search for a 214# walleye. Just general area, not looking for honey hole.:test::bad_boys_20:

not giving up that hole, well maybe if you have enough money ;) you know what I mean smartazz. damn phone needs a bigger keyboard! btw you got that rugrat fly fishing yet?:shark:

JimPS
09-10-2015, 12:24 PM
I know people can still have productive days on the Bow - but all the rock snot (Didymo) is a big turn off for me.

This stuff must be having a huge impact on aquatic life and our fisheries.

Has there been any good recent info on how this is affecting Alberta fisheries?

It seems like a recent worldwide phenomena.

Fishfinder
09-10-2015, 12:49 PM
not giving up that hole, well maybe if you have enough money ;) you know what I mean smartazz. damn phone needs a bigger keyboard! btw you got that rugrat fly fishing yet?:shark:

Hah! No flyfishing for mini-me just yet. He's only 2! Plus his dad needs to learn how to walk apparently a little better. Sprained my knee on a fly trip mid summer.:rolleye2:
Fly rod is almost hung up for season. But not quite:) Been testing waters of SSR lately with my hobbled leg and have had pretty good success. A mixed bag of sauger, walleye, mooneye, sturgeon. Even the odd pike and burb. Lazy baitfishing mid day with minnows. Seems to be working. Zero suckers on minnow. Which I like.
Had a massive pike come up top water and try and take my bait as I was reeling in the other day. He just missed it and I just missed him. Been looking for him since but no luck. That doesn't happen often on the SSR. Falleye season is coming up!
Look forward to cleaning the rust off the winter rods this year and getting out a little more often. Me thinks with the recent limitations set on some lakes and the end of commercial fishing it should limit pressure and the feesh can grow big big big. :thinking-006:

AB fishing, like one poster mentioned, It's what u make of it.

Poppa
09-10-2015, 02:45 PM
World class trout fishery...nothing like it, if you're into that sorta thing. Overall, though, nothing compares to Manitoba and the sheer amount of fish-able bodies of water. Overall my favourite place to fish, for sure, but AB has a great fishery...just gotta know where to go. Looking forward to getting out to Newell and Wab real soon for *my* kinda fishin'! :)

bat119
09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Judging by the number of Alberta plates I see on trailers at boat launch's here in Saskatchewan I would say it can't be that good.

mikebossy
09-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Judging by the number of Alberta plates I see on trailers at boat launch's here in Saskatchewan I would say it can't be that good.

people from Alberta fish in Sask for two or three reasons
1 you can keep more fish in Sask to eat if you choose, usually
2 lots of Albertans live near Sask and its an easy jaunt
3 hard to find a good lake trout lake without driving for 10 hours, so Cold Lake is the ticket, i do that trip for the sport of fishing, many do it to try and catch a laker big enough to keep

Saskatchewan's larger number of lakes with much smaller population means its lakes receive way less pressure and thus could have better fishing, could, in many circumstances

bat119
09-10-2015, 03:37 PM
people from Alberta fish in Sask for two or three reasons
1 you can keep more fish in Sask to eat if you choose, usually
2 lots of Albertans live near Sask and its an easy jaunt
3 hard to find a good lake trout lake without driving for 10 hours, so Cold Lake is the ticket, i do that trip for the sport of fishing, many do it to try and catch a laker big enough to keep

Saskatchewan's larger number of lakes with much smaller population means its lakes receive way less pressure and thus could have better fishing, could, in many circumstances

So the fishing in Alberta sucks compared to Saskatchewan?

Talking moose
09-10-2015, 04:51 PM
So the fishing in Alberta sucks compared to Saskatchewan?

I find the fishing in sask, southward from Prince Albert is generally same quality as Alberta. It's not until you get around nipiwan,Hanson lake road, Prince Albert, meadow lake and north of those locations that sask starts to shine. But south of those locations it is like Alberta, sparse lakes and surrounded by farmland.

bat119
09-10-2015, 05:14 PM
I find the fishing in sask, southward from Prince Albert is generally same quality as Alberta. It's not until you get around nipiwan,Hanson lake road, Prince Albert, meadow lake and north of those locations that sask starts to shine. But south of those locations it is like Alberta, sparse lakes and surrounded by farmland.

Some of the best walleye fishing is in the south, Last mountain lake hosts one of the walleye classic stops every year at Rowan's ravine 10+ walleye are not uncommon. Fisherman from all over North America come here for the tourney

I grew up on this lake its 75 miles long and 3/4 wide, knowing where the walleye are at certain times of the year is the key.

My cousin still has the 14.6 lb monster walleye we hauled in the boat when we were 12 years old. shocked the crap out of his Dad with that one.

KegRiver
09-10-2015, 05:26 PM

I would like to go fishing with you again. LOL Okay so last time I didn't fish, just watched you catching them. But it was a lot of fun, I'd do it again in a second, if I could.

And down there I would need your advice if I want to catch anything.
That river is so different from what I'm used to. Here I know how to catch them, down there I'm a total novice. :)

Talking moose
09-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Some of the best walleye fishing is in the south, Last mountain lake hosts one of the walleye classic stops every year at Rowan's ravine 10+ walleye are not uncommon. Fisherman from all over North America come here for the tourney

I grew up on this lake its 75 miles long and 3/4 wide, knowing where the walleye are at certain times of the year is the key.

My cousin still has the 14.6 lb monster walleye we hauled in the boat when we were 12 years old. shocked the crap out of his Dad with that one.

So very similar to Alberta then.

bat119
09-10-2015, 05:30 PM
So very similar to Alberta then.

Except we have enough fish to have shore lunch

Talking moose
09-10-2015, 05:33 PM

Except we have few enough people and better management to have shore lunch
Fixed it for you....:)

Kurt505
09-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Except we have enough fish to have shore lunch

There isn't a lack of fish in Alberta, there's a lack of retention.

neilsledder
09-10-2015, 05:34 PM
I haven't read all the responses but is there such thing as bad fishing? Fishing is not all about catching the fish (but it's nice when you do), it's about getting out side enjoying the moment with friends or family. Maybe you should take the catching part of fish little more relaxed and just enjoy your time out there and you will enjoy fishing more.

bat119
09-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Going fishing is the treat catching fish is just a bonus I really liked trout fishing in Alberta my first time with a fly rod in a stream, now that's something we don't have in Sask.

Some lakes have trout up north but mostly we catch our trout in dugouts in the south they taste like mud.

Talking moose
09-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Going fishing is the treat catching fish is just a bonus I really liked trout fishing in Alberta my first time with a fly rod in a stream, now that's something we don't have in Sask.

Some lakes have trout up north but mostly we catch our trout in dugouts in the south they taste like mud.

Some creeks and streams in sask hold trout..... Hanson lake road. Narrow hills P.P

Speckle55
09-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Wow

Nice answer:happy0034:

I like you :shake2:

lol

David:)

I haven't read all the responses but is there such thing as bad fishing? Fishing is not all about catching the fish (but it's nice when you do), it's about getting out side enjoying the moment with friends or family. Maybe you should take the catching part of fish little more relaxed and just enjoy your time out there and you will enjoy fishing more.

lone wolf
09-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Get a grip!

Sure........ I will take the bait :sHa_shakeshout:

With all due respect, I have fished BC may times, primarily the saltchuck ..... done fairly well too if the 50lb Chinook from Rivers Inlet on my wall counts. Just a tad too far to go for an evening or weekend trip for a Flatlander like me. I live in the semi-desert SE of the province (within your self imposed 300 km radius of Calgary) yet I can catch a plethora of species (including sturgeon) literally right at my door. Had the misfortune of a healthy 8lb walleye on my first trip to Lake Newell this year. Went out to 40 Mile reservoir the next weekend and caught walleye after walleye. Bullshead reservoir (trophy trout lake for the uneducated such as yourself) is a 40 minute drive. Yes fishing here is ..... such a disappointment :scared0018: I ca

TROLL ON MY FRIEND .............

bat119
09-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Some creeks and streams in sask hold trout..... Hanson lake road. Narrow hills P.P

That's pretty far North there are some small creeks have some rainbows down south but they are small enough to jump from one side to the other LOL Battle creek in Cypress hills has some.

last minute
09-10-2015, 06:52 PM

well maybe fishing in alberta is not for you .

I dont think it sucks as you put it:)

Phshrmn
09-10-2015, 07:47 PM
It's terrible. Stay in trout lake. Nothing good within 400 miles of Calgary.

PerchBuster
09-10-2015, 07:59 PM

i suggest you try to look up some posts by secret coulée on this fishing forum and take a good look at his sampling of the southern alberta fish population. Then you will have your answer. I can tell you the North is just as good as are the east and west from border to border. When experience, perseverance, knowledge, and skill intersect, success is not far behind.

iYearn
09-10-2015, 10:53 PM
If you sit to long in a boat you get the same attitude as johnnie plus a bad case of baboon ass,and no fish.I have friends that tell me they have great fishing in alberta.

"Baboon Ass" Would like to see the ribbon campaign to find a cure for that! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Eddy62
09-12-2015, 03:48 PM
I have no complaints about alberta fishing, I love the bow river it sure has changed a lot since the flood though

58thecat
09-12-2015, 04:01 PM

No we go into Saskabush because we can keep the eaters not the breeders. Love the wee ones, only a few a year though, takes a while to get the taste of Saskatchewan out of my system:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Secret coulee
09-13-2015, 09:17 PM

I think you are bang on with this comment.all reservoirs within 300km of calgary are huge dead zones and very few fish anymore.
I hope you enjoy your fishing indevours in BC sounds like they are all biting for the taking over there.
Just one thing if you dont mind me asking,could you please share with us in the forum some fishing photos of your new found Mecca in BC,because we don't get the opportunity here in southern ab to be able to no what a Mecca is.
Tight lines buddy.

RavYak
09-13-2015, 11:07 PM
Does Alberta fishing suck? You be the judge, just a few of the fish I have caught so far this year...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P6280009.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7120049.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7180006.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7180023.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7190029.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P7260040.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5160014.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P5030026.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P4180019.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/P9070029.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/11895208_10153574883632139_1546744544929276919_o.j pg

vcmm
09-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Cat

There is another one in General Discussion.

Secret coulee
09-14-2015, 06:06 AM
Great work RavYak you've been having a great year so far by the look of it,keep it up.
As for my last post i was just being facishous.we have spectacular fishing down here in the south.

Dale S
09-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Fishing is good.
A couple from the weekend.
30" walleye
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/dago029/002_4.jpg
29" walleye
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/dago029/001_7.jpg
24" walleye
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/dago029/034_2.jpg
51" sturgeon
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/dago029/005_4.jpg

Winch101
09-14-2015, 06:31 AM
This is Alberta , desert prairie ,mostly man made water , stocked fish .
Limited access to shield lakes . So what do you expect ,it's beyond
My initial expectations . Quite a few 50 - 100 fish days ,multi specie .
I fished lots of 100 plus days in a year till 1987 ,in eastern Manitoba /
NW Ont but my best walleye days for size and numbers have been here
In south Ab.
I wouldn't cross the street to catch a trout ,unless the chance for bigger
Than my PB Laker 33 lbs .
I know this thread started as a troll but some interesting points have
Come up .

Nice fish Dago , I love those Fall River fish , almost as nice as your
Tomatoes lol.

michaelmicallef
09-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Compared to other Proviences in canada the fishing opportunity does suck. But it's all about prespective . Not as much water as some of the other Proves but I'm A trout guy. No Stealhaed sucks but some places I've fish in Alberta would take your breath away, literally. it might realy suck if Persian carp are introduced though out southern Alberta. That's already started! Again though its all a mater of perspective. Some people love catching carp and don't care what harm they do. That sucks

Talking moose
09-14-2015, 07:41 AM
Interesting. Many people saying Alberta has a great fishery. Yet there are so many Alberta ESRD mismanagement threads.

EZM
09-14-2015, 08:15 AM

Yup fishing sucks here in Alberta ......

Let me tell you about Saturday morning .....

I live right in Edmonton - there are roughly a million people in the metro area.

3 of us poor suckers left my driveway about 8 am and was at the boat launch by 8:45 and fishing by about quarter after 9.

One of the guys had to be back home by 1:30 - 2:00 PM by the latest so we had to stop fishing by about Noon or so.

So in three hours the three of us only caught about 60-70 fish. Probably 45 pike and 20 or so walleye.

Also saw a couple forum members out there and said hi and got to chat a little.

Yeah it sucks.

I think We should move to a place where fish just breech the water and land in your lap instead ..... why dip a line? heck we can even teach them to fillet themselves ..... image a nice clean fillet just erupting out of the water and slapping itself down right in your lap !!!

RavYak
09-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I think We should move to a place where fish just breech the water and land in your lap instead ..... why dip a line? heck we can even teach them to fillet themselves ..... image a nice clean fillet just erupting out of the water and slapping itself down right in your lap !!!

Alberta needs asian carp!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA82pSv1EFg

Just kidding lol. But in some ways it would be fun :thinking-006:

EZM
09-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Alberta needs asian carp!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA82pSv1EFg

Just kidding lol. But in some ways it would be fun :thinking-006:

That's exactly what i pictured when writing it .... lol

Imagine a 25 Pike coming at you right at head level !!!! Freaking break your neck ....lol

fargineyesore
09-14-2015, 11:20 AM
I know I'm not a hugely skilled fisherman, but I've been fishing Calling Lake mostly, and the last couple years, doing the same things I've done before, have been very disappointing, to the point that my son doesn't even want to fish anymore because it's been so slow for us. We go there mostly because we have a cabin there.

I know there are probably guys that have had good luck there this and last year, but not me.

Not sure if it's just me or the fishing is not as good, but others I've talked to there say it is slower as well.

They say Alberta has more anglers and less water than most other provinces, so I'd suspect it wont be as good fishing as most other provinces for that reason alone.

Its still good enough though if you know what you're doing, you'll have success from what others are saying on here.

I just have to put in more time on the water I guess.

huntsfurfish
09-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Interesting. Many people saying Alberta has a great fishery. Yet there are so many Alberta ESRD mismanagement threads.

I agree!:):)

Kings
09-14-2015, 12:23 PM
I would say Alberta is not great for fishing in my point of view. Especially Calgary.
Every year there are lot of new fisherman and new fishing techniques. I think we need to compare the fishing with the previous years. Is there any new lake/stream added for fishing or any improvement has been done?
Thanks

FlyTheory
09-14-2015, 12:42 PM
I know I'm not a hugely skilled fisherman, but I've been fishing Calling Lake mostly, and the last couple years, doing the same things I've done before, have been very disappointing, to the point that my son doesn't even want to fish anymore because it's been so slow for us. We go there mostly because we have a cabin there.

I know there are probably guys that have had good luck there this and last year, but not me.

Not sure if it's just me or the fishing is not as good, but others I've talked to there say it is slower as well.

They say Alberta has more anglers and less water than most other provinces, so I'd suspect it wont be as good fishing as most other provinces for that reason alone.

Its still good enough though if you know what you're doing, you'll have success from what others are saying on here.

I just have to put in more time on the water I guess.

The drought was really hard on some fish. Not sure if it effected Calling to an extreme extent, but what you say leads me to believe that is the case. Hopefully next year has the perfect level of precipitation.

Secret coulee
09-14-2015, 12:48 PM

I can only speak for southern AB,but if you spend any amount of time and dedication fishing in the south on the few rivers and resivoirs, then you can seperate yourself from most part timer anglers to develope an opinion on your own with spacific dynamicks on the majority of our water body's,witch takes years to be able to figure out.many many mis managed lakes dont get me wrong,but there is some amazing resource as well with some of the fishable water sheds.each and every one of these fishing destinations is dynamic and completely diffrent in there own right good anglers figure this step out very quickly.
I just dont believe what you have posted as a blanket deal is fair to any of the past issues in the past with mismanagement.this is were elete and passionate angles cringe when reading what you have posted.because they no diffrent,a statement like this only attracts people that don't no any better and want to jump onto the band wagon.because if they went fishing and put in the time like so many on this board have,then you could post up your own picks of world class fish.
Funny thing is though many of the people in past threads complaining about mis management are the great fisherman that want to stand up because we have watched so many water sheds go down hill nowing what this resource used to be.but yes there is still world class fishing here as well.

Talking moose
09-14-2015, 12:52 PM
I can only speak for southern AB,but if you spend any amount of time and dedication fishing in the south on the few rivers and resivoirs, then you can seperate yourself from most part timer anglers to develope an opinion on your own with spacific dynamicks on the majority of our water body's,witch takes years to be able to figure out.many many mis managed lakes dont get me wrong,but there is some amazing resource as well with some of the fishable water sheds.each and every one of these fishing destinations is dynamic and completely diffrent in there own right good anglers figure this step out very quickly.
I just dont believe what you have posted as a blanket deal is fair to any of the past issues in the past with mismanagement.this is were elete and passionate angles cringe when reading what you have posted.because they no diffrent,a statement like this only attracts people that don't no any better and want to jump onto the band wagon.because if they went fishing and put in the time like so many on this board have,then you could post up your own picks of world class fish.
Funny thing is though many of the people in past threads complaining about mis management are the great fisherman that want to stand up because we have watched so many water sheds go down hill nowing what this resource used to be.but yes there is still world class fishing here as well.

Ummm.... What did I post that you don't believe?

Mitchthefisher
09-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Alberta has some fantastic fishing if you are willing to put in the time to find these bodies of water that produce big numbers and quality fish. I dont think i have had a day of walleye fishing this year that i have not broke 100+ and caught at least one over 6lbs. Lots of good perch and trout fishing, and i have also had a great first season targetting sturgeon. Got to be willing to put time in scouting and trying new things.

Secret coulee
09-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Ummm.... What did I post that you don't believe?

Sorry i guess your right and I took your post diffrently then what it was intended to be.regardless i tried to put up a bit of an over view on the whole issue,witch I'm sure ive missed a bunch of it.but my two cents at this time any ways.
Sorry once again.

Talking moose
09-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Sorry i guess your right and I took your post diffrently then what it was intended to be.regardless i tried to put up a bit of an over view on the whole issue,witch I'm sure ive missed a bunch of it.but my two cents at this time any ways.
Sorry once again.

No prob. And I agree with what your saying.

EZM
09-14-2015, 01:26 PM

That's a fair statement. There are a few mismanaged lakes in my area for sure, but I wouldn't say "fishing sucks in Alberta" as a general statement.

I would also say that the limited resources we put into the SRD to try and manage such a challenging situation sucks. How do we expect a few biologists to manage our watersheds when there simply isn't the time available for them to conduct a thorough and comprehensive analysis and subsequently roll out a strategy for each of these lakes/rivers based on what each distinct watershed needs.

It's tough for them - and I'd say more funding would help.

Given the challenges I'd say they have done a pretty good job overall.

Now I'm off to re-hash the Wabamun Lake mismanaged fishery thread .... lol. I see the walleye are spawning there now ..... caught a 4" walleye and I don't recall that size class being stocked in there (anytime recently) leading me to believe they are spawning successfully.

The pike are getting skinny in there and walleye are getting to be numerous.

Winch101
09-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Firstly if the management of this resource sucked when the PC
We're in , you ain't seen nothing yet .

1 holding public round table discussions after you have made
Management decisions makes this dept look like fools .

2 .....licence ,tag revenue going into general revenue makes me puke .

3... Walleye are for eating ...it's a put and take specie everywhere .
Management does not mean closing a fishery just because some
Guy says he can't catch fish anymore . Test netting should be under
Public or ACA scrutiny ,to easy to fudge the numbers.
4... revenue displacement causes poor law enforcement .
5 ...one of the biggest laughs is Govt biologist claiming that poaching
Not an issue in southern Alberta .....put a bounty on poachers
See what happens .Close night fishing period province wide .
Poachers do their best work.
Something sucks here for sure but it ain't the angling .....

You have 4 yrs of pure crap coming before you can change things .
Outdoor resource management will be an issue in the next
Provincial Election ...vote Rose ..

DarkAisling
09-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Coming from BC, my initial impression was that Alberta fishing sucks. It doesn't. But, it is different from fishing in BC, and thus expectations need to be adjusted.

Fishslayer99
09-14-2015, 04:44 PM
I think you could say fishing sucks everywhere, it is all about what you take out of it...plus I find it helps if you know how to fish in the first place.:scared0018:

pinelakeperch
10-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Alberta fishing is terrible, just terrible. Spent the night out on the river with a buddy of mine and another fisherman who showed up and caught about 10 18-24in walleye and two 30in walleye. Tough fishing.

brohymn2
10-14-2015, 05:23 AM
To tell you the truth I thought it sucked here for fishing the first time I read the regs before I went fishing. Was blown away you couldn't keep any. Totally made me eat my words though first time I went fishing and caught 80 fish in 2 hours. Fishing here most definitely does not suck. Only thing that sucks is if you want a feed of fish everytime you go fishing. And even then it's doable you just gotta put in a few more kms on the vehicle.

Ozzzzz
10-14-2015, 08:46 AM
I love Alberta fishing, because I CHOOSE to love Alberta fishing. It's where I live...and that's my choice too.

Bill

Crankbait
10-14-2015, 09:43 AM
fishing generally sucks if one is NOT fishing.

kevinhits
10-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Fishing in Southern Alberta is not like it used to be 5-10 years ago...

Yes, there are alot of fish to be caught but certain species are hard to find these days...:)

Fishfinder
10-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Yes, there are alot of fish to be caught but certain species are hard to find these days...:)

Making it all that much funner. Life's a journey not a destination:) Can't suppress the growth of mankind, only try to manage it.
I would not like it if all Alberta's species were easy to catch and right outside my door (Just my opinion I do not think that's what you are implying). Where's the fun in that I ask?

On a side note but sort of related to 'hard to find' species:
I read a recent study on my old friend the Lake Sturgeon (as this is one fish some people have a hard time finding) and it was an interesting read. It was based on the Great Lakes and was from the U.S. but it pertains to any lake sturgeon. I'll try and find the link.
Anyway..it suggests the "unfortunate introduction" of zebra mussels and something else (can't recall) may very well be doing our sturgeon good. Sturgeon will eat them, based on their natural feeding habits. Most other species around here will not. Thus more food for our Dinos, helping growth.
So if true, it's not all bad about the invasive species...but still bad:scared0018:

BobLoblaw
10-15-2015, 04:38 PM
fishing generally sucks if one is NOT fishing.

Exactly.
:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

BobLoblaw
10-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Does Alberta fishing suck?

Well, let's see...
I suck at fishing.
I mostly fly fish.
I suck at casting.
I suck at entomology- can't remember hatches, cycles, etc.
I look in a fly box & pick something to try on a whim.

I catch lots of fish.
Alberta fishing does not suck.

Talking moose
10-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Making it all that much funner. Life's a journey not a destination:) Can't suppress the growth of mankind, only try to manage it.
I would not like it if all Alberta's species were easy to catch and right outside my door (Just my opinion I do not think that's what you are implying). Where's the fun in that I ask?

On a side note but sort of related to 'hard to find' species:
I read a recent study on my old friend the Lake Sturgeon (as this is one fish some people have a hard time finding) and it was an interesting read. It was based on the Great Lakes and was from the U.S. but it pertains to any lake sturgeon. I'll try and find the link.
Anyway..it suggests the "unfortunate introduction" of zebra mussels and something else (can't recall) may very well be doing our sturgeon good. Sturgeon will eat them, based on their natural feeding habits. Most other species around here will not. Thus more food for our Dinos, helping growth.
So if true, it's not all bad about the invasive species...but still bad:scared0018:
I agree. It's a combination of hunting and fishing. Would suck if all one had to do is drive 10 minutes and dangle a hook in the water. Travelling around, trying new spots, is half the enjoyment.

brohymn2
10-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Does Alberta fishing suck?

Well, let's see...
I suck at fishing.
I mostly fly fish.
I suck at casting.
I suck at entomology- can't remember hatches, cycles, etc.
I look in a fly box & pick something to try on a whim.

I catch lots of fish.
Alberta fishing does not suck.
If you suck at fishing I must be horrible

WayneChristie
10-15-2015, 10:51 PM
I agree. It's a combination of hunting and fishing. Would suck if all one had to do is drive 10 minutes and dangle a hook in the water. Travelling around, trying new spots, is half the enjoyment.

well, I worked 12 hours today, after work I drove exactly 17 minutes and managed to land 6 walleye from 3 to 7 pounds, and lost a very acrobatic pike and several more walleye. I guess the extra 7 minutes made it not suck :bad_boys_20:. btw I also had a 35 walleye evening at the same place not long ago. thank God for that extra 7 minutes!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Talking moose
10-15-2015, 10:55 PM
well, I worked 12 hours today, after work I drove exactly 17 minutes and managed to land 6 walleye from 3 to 7 pounds, and lost a very acrobatic pike and several more walleye. I guess the extra 7 minutes made it not suck :bad_boys_20:. btw I also had a 35 walleye evening at the same place not long ago. thank God for that extra 7 minutes!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

That's nice. Guess I needed to put imo after, myself I enjoy the exploring part the most. Imo.:)

WayneChristie
10-15-2015, 11:02 PM
That's nice. Guess I needed to put imo after, myself I enjoy the exploring part the most. Imo.:)

I explored a new place last night only 1 pike and 2 walleye, guess that sucked . I think people who think Alberta fishing sucks just dont fish enough

WayneChristie
10-15-2015, 11:06 PM
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8059_zpskr57y5qj.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8064_zpsbi1hogbx.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8070_zpsxgnkrvyb.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8071_zpsw1m07seh.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8068_zpssczqe9gr.jpg
sorry for the blood my hook may have had a bit of a point on it :(
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8066_zps4fzapwb1.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8069_zpsfmdyob8t.jpg
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/119_8065_zpsnlgfwpto.jpg

Talking moose
10-15-2015, 11:13 PM
I explored a new place last night only 1 pike and 2 walleye, guess that sucked . I think people who think Alberta fishing sucks just dont fish enough

I agree. Don't change the fact that exploring and seeing new territory is my fave part of fishing though. If you are under the impression that I think fishing in Alberta sucks, your mind has mislead you.

WayneChristie
10-15-2015, 11:15 PM
I agree. Don't change the fact that exploring and seeing new territory is my fave part of fishing though. If you are under the impression that I think fishing in Alberta sucks, your mind has mislead you.

dude my mind misleads me all the time, its the best part of insanity!!! :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Mulehahn
10-15-2015, 11:16 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but I am often torn. Having grown up in BC, when I first came to Alberta I was blown away with the fishing. I had never had any fish nail my lures as hard a pike does. The 100 fish days were unheard of, I was in heaven. Then after a while I really started to miss chasing those ultra fickle steelhead, the ones who would spook on a whim, the huge springs that would take off 100' of line and sit there knowing you couldn't budge them, the Coho that jump 3-4ft out of the water shining like a diamond. But at the end of the day they are all salmonids and after a few trips back in BC I will start to miss the variety of Alberta. Never knowing what just took my hook. Which one sucks depends on where I fished last.