PDA

View Full Version : UN Country of origin gun registry?

rugatika
07-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I seem to recall hearing something about the UN getting countries to label all guns with serial numbers that would indicate which country they were sold in. I think that it was to take effect sometime this year and was of course signed in by the Libranos. Has anyone else heard of this or know anymore about it????

osterb
07-11-2006, 09:31 PM
The NRA for one told them to go ____ themselves before the meeting ever began . Still not clear whether if Canada will sign on.:rollin

rugatika
07-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Found the article in the October 2005 Outdoor Canada. Sorry if it's a little long but I'll try and paraphrase the article.

The measure was quietly brought into law in 2004. It's directly linked to a 2001 UN resolution aimed at controlling the global trade in contraband guns. Canada, one of the leading proponents of the measure signed the protocol in March 2002.

Slated to come into effect on Dec 1, 2007, under the firearms act, the firearms marking regulations applies to both imports and guns made in Canada. Under the measure, newly imported guns must be engraved with CA (for Canada) along with the last 2 digits of the year of import.

Tony Bernardo of the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association predicts that compliance with this new regulation will result in an additional $100 to $200 on the price of a new firearm. The CFC asserts that compliance would be relatively easy and "COSTS WOULD NOT INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY". (where have we heard that before).

I was just wondering if the conservatices would be squashing this? I haven't heard anymore about it since I read this last fall.