PDA

View Full Version : Chain lakes south of Calgary with 3 year old son in boat?

Caper1984
09-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Hey folks, just curious how Chain lakes has been lately...havent been there in years. Looking to take my 3 year old fishing in the boat for the first time on Friday. Any tips and input on condition would be much appreciated to get the little guy on some fish!

TROLLER
09-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I drove down there last week and it is quite low. Water level pretty well at the end of the boat ramp. That being said you can certainly get a boat in just the dock is super high compared to water level.

As usual not all that clean. Best bet for me has always been to troll along the dam I generally troll a fly but maybe you should consider a wedding band with a worm, that should generate some good activity. Another good spot is to troll along the far side from the boat dock stay about 20 yrds from shore and again you should do all right.

One main thing is to make sure your offering is in the 8 to 10fow that seems to be where they hang out. You may have to put a split shot on to get down but just keep adjusting you will do fine.

Good luck

the local angler
09-10-2015, 06:08 PM
i was there this past week and fished next to the boat launch. the shoreline had a lot of weeds so i fished the edges and got a bunch but were very small then the usual size. but all in good fun with a float and worm. action was also slower then usual too.

Caper1984
09-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the replies! If it seems doable to get the boat in the water and then get my 3 year old into it, i'll hit up chain for sure. Thought about pcr for walleye but I figure smaller trout is a better bet for his first fish on his ninja turtle rod lol. Are there any other lakes with small trout that will accept a boat about the same distance from calgary?

Camdec
09-10-2015, 10:51 PM
I drove down there last week and it is quite low. Water level pretty well at the end of the boat ramp. That being said you can certainly get a boat in just the dock is super high compared to water level.

As usual not all that clean. Best bet for me has always been to troll along the dam I generally troll a fly but maybe you should consider a wedding band with a worm, that should generate some good activity. Another good spot is to troll along the far side from the boat dock stay about 20 yrds from shore and again you should do all right.

One main thing is to make sure your offering is in the 8 to 10fow that seems to be where they hang out. You may have to put a split shot on to get down but just keep adjusting you will do fine.

Good luck
Got to say. Your comments brought back a lot of old memories. Haven't been there in 30 years, but my earliest memories fishing were on Chain Lakes with my grandpa. We trolled with flies or with willow leaf and worms. have fun.