PDA

View Full Version : Perch depths

Game Hunter
09-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Heading out to a remote lake sat sun mon.
Wondering what you guys have found for perch and certain depths this time of year.
I'm thinking they will still be hanging around pencil reeds in 8-10 ft.
Any Ideas? What depths do they like in the fall?
GH

Superfisher
09-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Well...I have heard that they do usually stay in the shallower waters, but in certain times of year I'm not sure...I'm one who knows stuff like that for walleye.
Sorry, I know this never helped but it's what I know.

dodger
09-11-2015, 05:39 PM
I was into them at 14' yesterday in a Southern Reservoir.

Dodger.

Pencilweed
09-11-2015, 05:59 PM
12-16ft has been the ticket for me since mid August,on the deep edge of the weeds.Sonar has been key,aleast for me anyways.

super mario
09-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Heading out to a remote lake sat sun mon.
Wondering what you guys have found for perch and certain depths this time of year.
I'm thinking they will still be hanging around pencil reeds in 8-10 ft.
Any Ideas? What depths do they like in the fall?
GH

I went Today fish hanging about rocky bottom about 11ft good luck

Game Hunter
09-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys. Got back from a weekend trip,
Found jumbos at around 8-10 ft
Some in even 6 ft. Great successful trip brought home all 11-13 inch perch, will post later tomorrow. Fatties are fun to fight on the ice rod.

EZM
09-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I am finding more and more often, perch don't hold to depths as consistently as other game fish it seems to me. It's about what there is to eat, who's chasing them and what cover they can find (weeds or structure).

I am not an expert on perch - but they definitely seem to be harder to pattern compared to trout, walleye or pike.

Game Hunter
09-16-2015, 09:44 AM
I am finding more and more often, perch don't hold to depths as consistently as other game fish it seems to me. It's about what there is to eat, who's chasing them and what cover they can find (weeds or structure).

I am not an expert on perch - but they definitely seem to be harder to pattern compared to trout, walleye or pike.

You my friend are 100 percent correct.
I've been finding them all over the charts from weeds to deeper holes or humps- all in one day.
But a guy seems to load up on perch for 10-45 minutes then they move on, you gotta hunt them.

PerchBuster
09-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Bang on guys, couldn't agree more. I believe this is because for more than half of its life a Perch is a prey item not a predator like Trout, Walleye and Pike, and they develop that kind of behaviour which carries over in to maturity. When they were young and tasty to toothy critters for the first few years they got chased all over the lake so they learn to use a lot of different water in order to survive. Their life cycle is to, survive, eat/grow, spawn. All I know is they are often unpredictable and other times text book. I've caught them in a foot of water and as deep as 50'. Hunt you must.