PDA

View Full Version : Scope Reservoir?

Joe Quiroga
09-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Spent the day here throwing everything in my box out there and hitting nothing. Anyone have any luck there? What about the other reservoir West? Would hate to make another drive all the way out there if it's just as slow :/

mickeyjim
09-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Please refer to the thread "Does Alberta fishing suck" for your answer

Marty S
09-14-2015, 06:45 AM
5,000 pelicans
Clouds of cormorants

But they got rid of the commercial fisherman. I think it got overfished horribly when they were netting. Probably one of those lakes that didn't cooperate with the computer model. Hopefully 10 years from now we start seeing some better pike. I live here, it's in my back yard and I have never caught a pike over 10 lbs.

Maybe we just need DDT back

Joe Quiroga
09-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info. Saw all the birds but didn't realize it had been netted as well. The nets also seemed to have had a big impact on Tilley fishing as well.

pikergolf
09-14-2015, 08:11 AM
How was the water quality?

Joe Quiroga
09-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Water was fairly clear, looked decent. I was down around the inlet. Didn't see any of the green algae or floaties the other reservoirs have.

Marty S
09-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Water quality in the BRID is disgusting in my opinion. We have all kinds of new algaes in the last 10 years that we have never seen before. Some years the fish in the spring even taste poor and never lose the bad algae taste. Undoubtably the water quality in the eastern sections of the BRID are worse than the west due to the continual recycling of feedlot runoff water from the Lost Lake system into the main canal. I like eating fish but I just have no desire to eat these things here anymore.

It's amazing how fast the water quality deteriorated with the combination of the new artificialized waterways and eliminating the good vegetation with the water poisoning programs. Let's just grow crops and algae and to heck with everything else.

How's that for a rant?

pikergolf
09-16-2015, 10:47 AM
Water quality in the BRID is disgusting in my opinion. We have all kinds of new algaes in the last 10 years that we have never seen before. Some years the fish in the spring even taste poor and never lose the bad algae taste. Undoubtably the water quality in the eastern sections of the BRID are worse than the west due to the continual recycling of feedlot runoff water from the Lost Lake system into the main canal. I like eating fish but I just have no desire to eat these things here anymore.

It's amazing how fast the water quality deteriorated with the combination of the new artificialized waterways and eliminating the good vegetation with the water poisoning programs. Let's just grow crops and algae and to heck with everything else.

How's that for a rant?

Check out Murry Res. south of Seven Persons sometime. I was there last year in Aug. to look at it. The outflow had what looked like bubble bath in it. Nothing but foam for as far as the eye could see. The lake itself had about 3 inches of visibility, disgusting. Won't be long till our lower irrigation lakes hold nothing for fish.

Alberta, not polluted, phhhht.

hacman
09-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Spent the day here throwing everything in my box out there and hitting nothing. Anyone have any luck there? What about the other reservoir West? Would hate to make another drive all the way out there if it's just as slow :/

Only ever caught hammer handles at Scope. The other res west would be Granthum and it used to be great, it had crystal clear water where we had numerous 100 fish days. Lots of 5 - 8 pounders and the odd one in the teens. Now the water is green, slimy, and it stinks, the fishing equally stinks now too. What a shame.

Joe Quiroga
09-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Sounds about like most of the reservoirs I have been to since July, green and stinky. Have a friend who eats the pike from them and always gives me a hard time for releasing them LOL. Fortunately I live within an hours drive of Red Deer, Bow and Old Man rivers. Think I'll start reading up on some river fishing techniques :character0053: