PDA

View Full Version : Want to take my little ones fly fishing..where?

momlovestofish
09-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Hi there,
I am a mom of four and I want to take them out fishing this weekend. Don't have a boat so will be shore fly fishing for us. Live west of Edmonton..looking for a quick bite place and recommendations for bait. thanks

pinelakeperch
09-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Fly fishing and bait. Are you bait fishing or fly fishing?

DarkAisling
09-14-2015, 01:24 PM
How old are your children? Little ones don't really have the coordination required to fly fish (if that's what you're doing) until 8 or 9 years old at the earliest.

yetiseeker
09-14-2015, 02:12 PM
You can try some of the pothole lakes west of Edmonton.

Star Lake is an easy fish from shore - can't guarantee the fish will bite as it gets fished fairly hard, but the fishing is easy. Cast right off the shore at the parking lot; use a pickerel rig with worms, powerbait, marshmallows, corn, etc.

You could also try East Pit lake - again pretty easy access, and you can do well fishing off shore. Same bait as above.

Also, the North Sask river is always on the list for shore fishing. Pickerel rig with minnows and worms. The Devon bridge can be alright too. There you can catch Walleye, Goldeye, Suckers, Pike.

Good luck!

spinN'flyfish
09-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Hi there,
I am a mom of four and I want to take them out fishing this weekend. Don't have a boat so will be shore fly fishing for us. Live west of Edmonton..looking for a quick bite place and recommendations for bait. thanks

do you mean ''what flies to use'' as ''bait'' , now that its colder less dry fly which is usually quite fun, but maybe could try a mosquito or hopper, then if not nymphs, leeches or chironomids under an indicator
Good luck

Emeeensr
09-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Hey lovestofish,

Assuming you didn't mean fly fishing for the little ones, try Chickakoo and/or Sauer lake (they are right next to each other). Lots of good shore access points (and picnic grounds and great walking trails at Chickakoo if they get bored). You could bobber fish or use a pickerel rig. Worms, power bait, salmon eggs.
I think they'd enjoy it.

Have a great time!

fsa313
09-17-2015, 02:34 PM
You could go to Star, Salter's, East Pit, Cardiff pond, Chickakoo or Sauer. They all have washroom facilities except Sauer. Bait fishing from shore is possible at all of them. Want to know how to get to them , go to http://beta.myalbum.com/album/TKiLsxkxRwyR
Cheers,
Neil

mikebossy
09-17-2015, 08:09 PM
its fall, and we've had a few frost mornings, go to the fishing hole get a bobber you can fill with water for casting weight, then 3 feet from that tie on a backswimmer fly, small, looks like a 'bug rowboat', cast out into middle, or if you see rises cast to the rise, this is what the fish are eating right now in the fall, best time is from about noon till sundown, the big ones will be much more prevalent and less weary at sundown, best days are a cold night/morning, followed by a sunny afternoon, fish the afternoon, years ago i fly fished with a backswimmer at Lake Eden and did well all afternoon, at about 7 a guy came along and threw out the casting water filled bobber and backswimmer combo, and he outfished the **** out of me, no subtlety, it just worked