PDA

View Full Version : jet boat

Esox
09-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Thinking about buying a jet boat for fishing. I want the ability to fish in lakes as well, although I know a jet will not be nearly as capable as a deep V for lake fishing. What is everyone running for jets? Whats a good one for running our alberta rivers like the S sask, oldman, bow, red deer,n sask as well as some lakes? Anyone outboard jet boat makers worth looking at?

neilsledder
09-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Explorer make some nice outboard jets. Not the biggest or fastest but they are amazing little boats. If you are looking at a bigger boat look at a Harborcraft there are lots around and a few dealers to. I guess they are now Kingfisher. For a river and lake I would buy a 11-12 deg bottom that way it will still go on the river good and be fairly good on the lake. I got a 12 deg and it's pretty smooth on the lake.

EZM
09-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Explorer make some nice outboard jets. Not the biggest or fastest but they are amazing little boats. If you are looking at a bigger boat look at a Harborcraft there are lots around and a few dealers to. I guess they are now Kingfisher. For a river and lake I would buy a 11-12 deg bottom that way it will still go on the river good and be fairly good on the lake. I got a 12 deg and it's pretty smooth on the lake.

That's good advice.

A hard core river boat is going to have a shallow draft 8 degrees kind of thing - a 12 degree is somewhere in the middle and should be fairly good in both situations.

An outboard jet would provide some limitations on the river but is certainly, again, a good compromise for an all around boat.

I looked quite closely at Custom Weld boats - they really seem to make some very solid boats that are available both in outboard (jet and prop) and inboard jet platforms.

I was extremely impressed with the trailers, the gauge of steel, the welding, the hinges, cleats, hardware, windshields, quality of top, etc...

Definitely another one to add to list of must see brands.

neilsledder
09-16-2015, 01:20 PM
If you are buying new there's lots of options! But lots are build to suite. Fire fish are a nice boat to.
8 deg would be a river boat for sure they go in crazy sallow water. With 3 guys in my Harborcraft at full throttle I can go in 6" no problem. I am not sure what the explorer is for deg they only need wet grass lol. You buying new?

jim summit
09-16-2015, 01:28 PM
The explore 162 looks like a nice light weight boat for running shallow.
Any one know the weight on the Explore 162, or the width of the hull at the chine? can't find much info on their website.

Jamie Black R/T
09-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Ive got a explorer 142 with 40hp jet outboard and ive run it more than once over 2" of water.

I have a lake boat too so cant comment on lake performance but the explorers are awesome little river machines.

CanadianBadass
09-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Ive got a explorer 142 with 40hp jet outboard and ive run it more than once over 2" of water.

I have a lake boat too so cant comment on lake performance but the explorers are awesome little river machines.

I agree man, Probably the best jet boat in the market for the NSR . I have guided on them on Wab before, and they are awesome stable boats, once the big chop is on the lake the performance is way down,

I have ran a 162 with a 40 hp on the NSr and they are amazing ! The 142 is what im looking to buy now

Esox
09-16-2015, 03:33 PM
I am open to new or used but with anything used Im always leery. I to have my big alumacraft walleye boat all decked out but I don't have the room for two boats and would much prefer to just have one and not two sitting there. Im interested in also maybe fishing some of the west coast rivers like the Skeena so that's why Im maybe leaning more towards a traditional 8 degree jet but can still fish on lakes in small waves, a little walleye chop per say, just no whitecaps.

neilsledder
09-16-2015, 05:56 PM
There's a few really good deals on kijiji right now on jet boats.

Positrac
09-16-2015, 06:22 PM
http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r747/arthurjlarsen/image.jpg1_zpspcfznavx.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/arthurjlarsen/media/image.jpg1_zpspcfznavx.jpg.html)

Explorer Industries 166 with a fuel injected 115/80 hp Yamaha 4-stroke.

Every boat is a choice of compromises. It's a great boat for two guys to run the river in really shallow water. Stays on step at 18 mph and tops out at 36.

The nice thing is I can cruise all day on a couple ten gallon gas cans. Try that on a big inboard.

Dale S
09-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Outlaw Marine have the toughest, shallowest running jetboat on the market. There's a reason RCMP, Calgary Fire department and other emergency departments run Outlaw Marine boats.
I would put my 16' Lynx up against any other jetboat for going shallow at 40 MPH.
But I'll be the first too say there not good on a rough lake.

Popik
09-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Im running a 20' Hewescraft sport jet. Its an inboard but a 200HP 2-stroke so not very heavy. Don't recall my deadrise but somewhere between 8-10 degree. It spends more time on the lake this year due to super low water in the NSR but its more than capable. Even rigged with down riggers for deep days on Cold Lake.

Esox
09-16-2015, 08:54 PM
http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r747/arthurjlarsen/image.jpg1_zpspcfznavx.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/arthurjlarsen/media/image.jpg1_zpspcfznavx.jpg.html)

Explorer Industries 166 with a fuel injected 115/80 hp Yamaha 4-stroke.

Every boat is a choice of compromises. It's a great boat for two guys to run the river in really shallow water. Stays on step at 18 mph and tops out at 36.

The nice thing is I can cruise all day on a couple ten gallon gas cans. Try that on a big inboard.

That's a setup what I would possibly like except maybe a little bigger outboard. What degree is it?

Esox
09-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Im running a 20' Hewescraft sport jet. Its an inboard but a 200HP 2-stroke so not very heavy. Don't recall my deadrise but somewhere between 8-10 degree. It spends more time on the lake this year due to super low water in the NSR but its more than capable. Even rigged with down riggers for deep days on Cold Lake.

That's exactly what I would do and put riggers on it to. That and a kicker motor.

Dale S
09-17-2015, 06:06 AM
That's exactly what I would do and put riggers on it to. That and a kicker motor.

There's no way you'll be able to run a boat like this on the Oldman or the Bow this year. You need Teflon or a QT100 bottom on your boat to run these rivers. Because you will be hitting bottom so your boat has to be built to take it and keep running.

Just ask Wayne Cristie about outboard jets on the Oldman. Cost him $400 for a new bottom end after hitting a rock.

angler1
09-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Outlaw Marine have the toughest, shallowest running jetboat on the market. There's a reason RCMP, Calgary Fire department and other emergency departments run Outlaw Marine boats.
I would put my 16' Lynx up against any other jetboat for going shallow at 40 MPH.
But I'll be the first too say there not good on a rough lake.

Have to agree, I run an 18 ft. Bobcat, 240 sport, qt 100 amour plate. This boat has been almost bullet proof. Done things with it that would have destroyed lesser boats. As for lakes a little uncomfortable in the chop but still very seaworthy! This is my laker chasing boat, it has been end to end on Lake Athabasca, as well as Great Slave Lake in rather nasty weather. Not recommended for the faint of heart. Going again next year.

CK Angler
09-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Check out the kingfisher fast water model, has a 14 deg dead rise, will give you the best of both worlds.

neilsledder
09-17-2015, 03:47 PM
Check out the kingfisher fast water model, has a 14 deg dead rise, will give you the best of both worlds.

14 is getting a little steep for shallow rivers. And sometimes things get shallow fast lol.

JRuel
09-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Most every maker makes a nice boat but I gotta say after dealing with all the manufacterers for parts, for me, Claude at Exact Welding, Steve at firefish, and Dale and Bernie at Eagle all can't be beat!

I have a Eagle Nahanni that I've modified into what I need. I've added a bigger engine (Chevy ZZ4) QT 100 steel, trim tabs, Exact Welding trim nozzle etc. I find its the best for what we do. Not super great on a lake but have been on some rough stuff on slave, been on the shuswaps with it when the wind kicks up, run the peace smoky and wapiti often. It just works.

I've always said it doesn't matter what you're on the river with, just THAT you're on the river!

medhatken
09-24-2015, 12:13 PM
X2 on the Outlaw Nahanni.
I have 20' with a 5.7L engine, 12 degree hull with UHMW along the bottom.
I have it on the SSR all the time and 1' of water or more is not a problem. I have been out on Newell with some pretty decent chop and while the deeper V's are better, I was very confident with it.
As for mileage, it is comparable to the SportJets because it's not supercharged or any crazy like that, 330hp is enough for me. Well thats a lie, this boat is up for sale because I am doing more river driving than lake and more power is always nice. So if anyone is interested let me know.
It's an '07 with approx 100hrs on it

K44
09-26-2015, 08:18 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=225712

skidderman
09-26-2015, 11:24 PM
If you are new to jet boating I would suggest doing a lot of research first. I'm no expert but did own one for several yrs. The shallower the V the easier it is to lose control on rivers. I had a 12 degree and found it was rough as heck on lakes. If you are experienced then your choices might be different. The best advice I can give is don't skimp. I skimped on mine and wished I had gone with the Nahani. Nice heavy all purpose boat. Lots of cha ching though.

catnthehat
09-27-2015, 07:31 AM
I have a 5 degree hull on my 28' Marathon 120 Sport Jet inboard.
Great boat fir shallow rivers , 3/8" Keel plate running the length , and round yhe pump intake and extra 1/4" repad on the stem for the rough stuff.

Repads are 6061 aluminum .

The bust is rough on a choppy lake but then so is a 18' aluminium utility boat!:thinking-006:
It was designed and built for rivers but is light enough that I can launch it off a beach .
Downside of course is that there is not as much room as those big boats !:budo:
Cat

Joholio
09-29-2015, 09:24 PM
I have an 04 Custom Weld Cobra se 20' 11deg bottom, carb 350, AT312 pump. No umhw, no extra steel or alum. Ive run it in the upper nsr, red deer, brazeau in very shallow water and stuck a few times with not much evidence. Its a very comfortable tub but like said, not the best in the waves, but its been done before and will doo it again. I bought it stateside 3 years ago before the dollar slid. I am very happy with it and get lots of compliments on it as well. I love being able to beach on the rocks when all the fancy wakeboats gotta anchor up to come in to shore. Good luck...http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/70b75a6632e5dbd4d00016b37e8ff818.jpg

Jamie Black R/T
09-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Had my explorer 142 out all weekend and went over some seriously shallow stuff without touching.

120km round trip saturday on 45L of gas.

Had to stop at one point to help push a harbercraft off a gravel bar he didnt see. That was some serious fun :) He was hung up GOOD and I idled up beside him without touching.

They arent the prettiest boat out there and it can be tough to get over the price tag on a boat that looks so cheap but man that thing is purpose built and perfect for our rivers. Very happy with it.