PDA

View Full Version : larger ice fishing tents?

diamonddave
09-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Along the lines of needing a new ice shelter, I am looking for input into which model is the best for the command post size. One that 6-8 people can fish in comfortably.
Getting some pretty mixed reviews on line, figured I could trust the folks on here to give me some honest first hand experience. 4-500$ range.

I thought Costco used to have some but I don't see any listed on their sites yet.....

AppleJax
09-22-2015, 07:40 PM
If your wanting to fit 6-8 people go big or go home! I have the Frabill double hub, otter lodge, and a clam 1660 mag. I'd go with the 1660 if your looking for room.

Talking moose
09-22-2015, 07:45 PM
If your wanting to fit 6-8 people go big or go home! I have the Frabill double hub, otter lodge, and a clam 1660 mag. I'd go with the 1660 if your looking for room.

What's the price AJ on the clam?

iliketrout
09-23-2015, 07:11 AM
I have a Fatfish 9416, it's one of the largest tents out there and I wouldn't fish more than 4 guys in it...I don't like to have more than 3 in there if I can help it. We've had some pretty bad tangles when you start getting more guys than that.

Quality-wise the Eskimos have been great. I heard good things about the Clam tents but no first hand experience. I know that most of the plastic windows are sewn in, in the clam, and they are velcroed in the Eskimo. I prefer the Velcro, we cook in the tent and it's nice to open the windows for some ventilation without opening the main doors and letting all the heat out.

calgarygringo
09-23-2015, 07:27 AM
We have the Fatfish 949 and are thinking of going a little bigger and insulated this year. We have had our eyes on the 6120I or Clam comparible. We sometimes fish 3 of us and the regular Fatfish is fishable but barely. A little more space would be nice and insulated too. As Iliketrout says even in his big unit more than 3 gets a little tight for lines when fishing especially if you get a runner pike that decides to go across everyones lines.

diamonddave
09-23-2015, 10:10 AM
That 1660 is one of the units I have been looking at. Is it pretty durable??

deerguy
09-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Can't beat the Otter, best on the market.