PDA

View Full Version : Tobin Lake, Sakatchewan Fishing

Pig Slayer
09-16-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm thinking of heading to Tobin Lake soon. Just wondering if anyone has been there recently and has an idea how the fishing is lately. Its been a while since I have been there.

walleyenwhitetails
09-16-2015, 06:19 PM
This time of year it can be unbelievable. The big fish are there and should be getting going soon!

Talking moose
09-16-2015, 06:46 PM
^ ^ ^

JareS
09-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Heard its been good on Tobin lately. Hooked into some beauty pickerel this weekend at the parks west of Tobin

Pig Slayer
09-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Awesome, Thanks for the info.

Mhunter51
09-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Every day at about 12:15 or so ( Sask time ) there is a fishing report on the Melfort radio station AM-750. ( Don't know the call letters for the station ) There have been a huge number of REALLY big walleye taken in the last month or so. One was measured and released at 86 cms. Many in the high 60's and mid 70 cm class. They don't actually fish on Tobin Lake but on the Saskatchewan river just up from the lake. This time of year is always good in many Sask lakes for walleye. Good luck.

Habfan
09-17-2015, 08:07 PM
This is the best time on the river, but people that know the lake, are also catching the large walleye on the old channel !! I fished Tobin for 20 years and I can tell you it's not just about drifting the river ! :)

Habfan
09-17-2015, 08:19 PM
I forgot to give you a tip on catching ! I find that going back to spring tactics like lindy rigging will produce a few fish in the 10 lb range. If the water from the dam is slow, then fish in the upper reaches, when in doubt, ask around the King Fisher Motel at breakfast time while having a coffee !!:)

Pig Slayer
09-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Awesome info, I have fished there 3 times and its been 2 years since I have fished there last. I have never went this late in the season but have heard it is an excellent time to go.

canadiantruth
09-18-2015, 11:12 PM
I was lucky enough to have access to this lake for a few years and caught about a dozen over 10lbs, with my tops at 13.3lbs.

Our biggest success was the simplest; finding a nice drop and fishing it with green or yellow jigs and leeches. Another trick that works on that lake is sitting in 30ish feet and tossing it a (hopefully) short distance to 15 and twitching it back along the bottom. If they aren't hitting leeches and worms, beef heart always pulls a few big girls up.

There are a few nice drops around prudens point (just north), and basically opposite side along the bigger hills/points. There are a few secret holes around carol's cove too...

IMO, the river is too busy and the lake is worth the boat ride (or drive around).

Good luck, report back!