PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Gun Registery...Thank You Stephen Harper

GoonBag
05-04-2006, 05:55 PM
* * * * OTTAWA -- The Tories campiagned on law and order and the Conservative Party was not just talking tough.
A Global National exclusive has discoverd the Harper government is appealing to it's base by moving to disarm the controversial gun registry.

Global National has learned the details of how the Conservatives are going to deal with the gun registry during the election they promised to kill it, but that's proving to be more difficult than they thought.

It was a promise that always played well with conservative audiences.

Since they took power the Conservatives have been trying to figure out how to kill the long gun registry and they're now promising they're going to act.

Global National has learned what they are planning to do.

Sources say the federal government will announce a one year amnesty for gun owners who fail to register a firearm, or if they let their license expire.

The government will waive the payment of any fees and it will refund the fees paid by gun owners in recent months.

Until the registry is eliminated, responsibility for it will move from the public safety minister, to the RCMP.

The head of the national firearms association says he will welcome this action,but it doesn't go far enough.

The Tories do want to get rid of the gun registry,.but that will require legislation they are planning to introduce a bill, but there's no guarantee it will pass in a minority parliament.

The auditor general may give them some important ammunition.

Sheila Fraser will be issuing a report in 12 days time and Global National has also learned it will be critical of the way the firearms centre has handed out and administered contracts in the past.

It was the death of 14 women in Montreal that sparked an outcry for tougher gun controls, and the gun registry was created in 1995.

Those that fought hard for the registry say it should not be abandoned.

But the Conservatives are listening to Canada's gun owners, who have been screaming for years they are law abiding citizens who should not be forced to register their firearms.

Adding to the gun registry's public relations -- huge cost overruns and originally promised to cost taxpayers 2 million dollars the bill is now more than a billion..

Although supporters of the registry point out that now it's running more efficiently, costing about 16 million dollars a year.

Rub Sign
05-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Not yet!

What is proposed are measures just to make it easier for you to register your non-registered firearms or get a licence. As reported, the responsibility for the registry will be transferred to the RCMP--that's not eliminating it, yet.

As reported above, "The Tories do want to get rid of the gun registry, but that will require legislation they are planning to introduce a bill, but there's no guarantee it will pass in a minority parliament."

So, I think 'thank yous' are a little premature.

GoonBag
05-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Its not a done deal yet but its well on the way. Which is FAR more than any liberal douche bag wanted to do for us law-abiding gun owners. ;)

Tucumseh
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, I want to see this done away with too but I'm thinking now the Conservatives might want to sit on it until they can muster up a majority government. They are scoring high in the polls and have the choice to call an election when ever they chose. ( which I hope is not for awhile) I think any bill introduced that totally eliminates gun registry will not pass and we want it to be gone for good.

59whiskers
05-05-2006, 11:33 PM
The sooner this registry collapses the better. I would have no problem going back to the former the former Firearms Accquisition Certificates (FAC). But this useless registry has got to go.

rugatika
05-06-2006, 01:37 PM
In my humble opinion now is the perfect time to table legislation to get rid of the long gun registration. Conservatives are on the rise in Quebec polls and are now at levels equal to the Bloc. The Bloc will be too scared to call another election as they will lose seats and could signal the demise of their party if they were to go to an election now.

The liberals are bluffing when they talk tough about voting down any bills. An election brought on now by them (particularly over the long gun registration that most Canadians are either against or indifferent to) would only further degrade their fortunes in the polls. This is to say nothing of the facts that they can hardly afford to go to an election, being 10 million in the hole, and they have 10 losers vying for the liberal leadership and are a long way from having a credible leader.

The only party that would have any interest in turfing the conservatives would be the NDP as they would likely stand to pick up a few scrap seats from liberals jumping ship in Toronto.

If an election were held soon it is likely that the Conservatives would either get enough of a swing from Canadians sick of minority governments that they may get in with a majority or they might get back in with another minority that is stronger than their current minority.

Just my 2 cents worth. But then I;m not really the patient type.

osterb
05-06-2006, 09:06 PM
1. Let's see how damaging the AG's report is

GoonBag
05-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Sheila Fraser's report on this boondoggle is due sometime this month...I think. That should give the government some firepower (no pun intended) on shooting (pun intended) this thing down :lol

It might be interesting to see how they play this thing out.