PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for fishing around Canmore......

Youngguns37
09-20-2015, 10:49 PM
Hey all......heading to Canmore this weekend with a broken ankle...can't golf or hike too far, but I can fish!!!! Wife even gave me the green light! Any suggestions on cool places to try around Canmore area?? Thanks in advance......

Brandonkop
09-21-2015, 01:40 AM
Hey all......heading to Canmore this weekend with a broken ankle...can't golf or hike too far, but I can fish!!!! Wife even gave me the green light! Any suggestions on cool places to try around Canmore area?? Thanks in advance......

Quarry lake just outside of town has grayling in it. They get big as well. Catch and release only. Also some big browns in there. I caught a nice one last winter.

-JR-
09-21-2015, 05:35 AM
Loretta ponds

AlbertaClipper403
09-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Quarry lake just outside of town has grayling in it. They get big as well. Catch and release only. Also some big browns in there. I caught a nice one last winter.

What would you use right now for Grayling and Browns?

Brandonkop
09-21-2015, 07:23 PM

I don't know never fished there in open water. Try a water boatman fly or small black panther martin.

Spidey
09-21-2015, 08:25 PM

You caught a brown in Quarry? Wow, I've lived here for 14 years and never heard of that. Cool! I've heard of big browns being taken out of grotto pond (found their way from the Bow.) A buddy of mine works for F and W here - I'll have to pick his brain.

spinN'flyfish
09-21-2015, 09:07 PM

could also try drys like hoppers, beetles or ants, if they're still around. There's also grotto down by 1a but likely fished out, especially this late in the season

Youngguns37
09-21-2015, 11:33 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help, looking forward to it......

Red Bullets
09-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Mepps spinners or small rapalas at Gap lake for big browns. I've walked down the railroad tracks to the south side of the lake and done really good on browns. The Bow river is right on the other side of the tracks there too.

LutherDLG
09-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Could also try Spray Lakes. It's a bit more of a hike to get up there, but I've had good luck from shore this year for lakers.

Red Bullets - I go to Canmore often but I'm yet to try Gap Lake. I always hear stories of it being a waste of time, etc. You find it pretty decent? Stories like that make me think I should give it a try...

Red Bullets
09-22-2015, 04:47 PM
Could also try Spray Lakes. It's a bit more of a hike to get up there, but I've had good luck from shore this year for lakers.

Red Bullets - I go to Canmore often but I'm yet to try Gap Lake. I always hear stories of it being a waste of time, etc. You find it pretty decent? Stories like that make me think I should give it a try...

My best brown from gap lake was in June a couple years ago. Pretty good sized... about 5 lbs.. I wade out a few few from shore in front of weed beds along the train tracks. Size 1 mepps. A variety of colors of blades work.

I know the Alta. record rocky mtn. whitefish comes from Gap lake too.