PDA

View Full Version : Perch in Southern Alberta

HoytCRX32
09-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Hi All

I know we are still a bit away from ice fishing season and I should be concentrating on hunting but I am really interested in ice fishing for perch within striking (no pun intended) distance from Calgary. We used to catch the occasional perch as kids but we were mainly going for slough sharks (pike). We usually fished the reservoirs like Lake Newell, MacGregor, Travers and such. If I wanted to target perch, those delicious little perch, is there any particular lake that would fit the bill? Naturally, I would understand if no one wants to give up their secret locations. Even general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tight lines and red arrows

huntsfurfish
09-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Posting what few lakes have them online is not really a good idea.:)

However, it is easy enough to find what lakes have them, with a little searching.

TROLLER
09-22-2015, 01:51 PM
Sorry no espa percha :sHa_shakeshout:

Esox
09-22-2015, 01:54 PM
Grassy also known as Sherburne is the best one, some nice perch in there up to 13 inches, although the bigger ones are getting fewer and fewer. Enchant pond is loaded with perch but you cant keep any. There are a few in Travers but theres very few people who know where they are. Forty Mile has some decent perch fishing and so does Yellow Lakes.

Perchfisher
09-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Grassy is getting very slow for perch. It once was a good spot to catch some average size perch but the last few years they have been getting smaller and fewer.

madatter
09-23-2015, 04:30 AM
I think Grassy has slowed in both the perch and walleye department.
Not hard to figure out with the amount of pressure it recieves now.
I wouldnt be surprised if the walleye are put on tag system there in the next year or two....

huntsfurfish
09-23-2015, 09:45 AM
I think Grassy has slowed in both the perch and walleye department.
Not hard to figure out with the amount of pressure it receives now.
I wouldnt be surprised if the walleye are put on tag system there in the next year or two....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

TROLLER
09-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Put in a few hard days at both Grassy and Fourty Mile and for every 10 inch perch you had to catch 70 little buggers.

Tubs and tubs of bait for very little return. Sad that some still feel they should post up catching jumbo perch at these res. when they are now pretty well fished out as far as big perch are concerned.

Another example of the internet ruined a fishery.

RayL42
09-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Grassy also known as Sherburne is the best one, some nice perch in there up to 13 inches, although the bigger ones are getting fewer and fewer. Enchant pond is loaded with perch but you cant keep any. There are a few in Travers but theres very few people who know where they are. Forty Mile has some decent perch fishing and so does Yellow Lakes.

I just checked the regulations, and maybe I missed it but it appears that you can keep 15 out of Enchant.

WayneChristie
09-23-2015, 03:19 PM
I just checked the regulations, and maybe I missed it but it appears that you can keep 15 out of Enchant.

Most days it would take 2 limits out of there just to make a sammich. Great place to take the kids perch fishing though

Esox
09-23-2015, 03:19 PM

They may have changed it so you can keep some, would be good if they did. Havent been there in quite some time.

huntsfurfish
09-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Put in a few hard days at both Grassy and Fourty Mile and for every 10 inch perch you had to catch 70 little buggers.

Tubs and tubs of bait for very little return. Sad that some still feel they should post up catching jumbo perch at these res. when they are now pretty well fished out as far as big perch are concerned.

Another example of the internet ruined a fishery.

And this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^