PDA

View Full Version : PAL test

TBark
09-07-2005, 02:36 PM
I have let my FAC from the late 80's run out.
I now have a possession only.
But I'm looking at another rifle now.
How quickly can I arrange, write, and get the paperwork for this PAL, it is a PAL, right ?
My possession only is referred to as a POL ?
I'm a rookie at this terminology, sorry.

TBark

Scott N
09-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Your best bet since you are familiar with firearms is to challenge the course and simply take the test. Pick up a copy of the safety course manual as they use acronyms (SAFE and PROVE) as the mainstay of the course. The test is 50 multiple choice / true - false questions and then a practical exam.

Once you send your application in, there is a 28 day minimum "waiting period." I upgraded my POL (possession only) license to a PAL (possession / accusation license) a couple of years ago and I had my licence in about 5 1/2 weeks. The application is the same one that you filled out for your POL, except that you need to send your proof of passing your safety course in and pay a few more bucks.

If you're located near Calgary or Edmonton, the Alberta Hunter Education Instructor's Association offers the course and / or test challenges on a regular basis. Here's their website... you can find a calendar for their course / test dates here:

www.aheia.com/ (http://www.aheia.com/)

There are lots of people who offer the course / challenge in most areas if you look. Best of luck.

TBark
09-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Thanks Scott.
I'll look into it right away.

TBark

prairieboy
09-10-2005, 11:35 PM
If you did have an FAC you must have passed the test at some time.If you did, you need not retake it.I sent my renewal forms registered mail and had the new PAL in just over 2 weeks.

TBark
09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
It that true Prairieboy ?
I thougth I had to re write ?
If so, will I need the original FAC #.
or will I be on file ?
Where are these renewal forms ?

TBark

TBark
09-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I'll give it a go Prairieboy.
I'm filling out the CAFC form 921 right now.
I included my POL # and I did say I passed a test way back when I got my FAC in the '80s, but it has a check box for "proof" of the / a course.
Section E, 19 a) on the 921 form.
I guess I'll just not check the box and see what happens.
Sound almost like when you are asked if you have ever hunted before when you want a hunting license.
Sign the sworn statement.

TBark

McCurdy1234
09-13-2005, 07:17 PM
You may have to show that you actually passed the test. That is why they reccomend you keep all your copies on hand somewhere in case something like this pops up.

prairieboy
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
I kept my original certificate just in case.But if they have any record of you previously having an FAC,that should be proof enough as they know that you needed to pass the test to obtain the FAC.

TBark
09-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Sent my PAL app in the other day, All complete with photo, payment and all. Where is said "written firarms test", I said, yes, "When", 1988. and no attachments for proof.
Included my POL #
I also mentioned I had a FAC in the 80's.
Not sure if thay can track that down.

We'll see if it gets accepted or not.

TBark

TBark
11-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Nope, just came back declined.
I'm on file now though, and they say I have 90 days to send in proof of passing the Firearms safety test.
So now I know for sure

TBark

lilsundance
11-03-2005, 01:02 AM
You had best be getting your test challenged and get that proof in Greg.

prairieboy
11-03-2005, 07:31 PM
I guess that is typical of the system.With everything on computer they should have a record of you having an FAC.However even with a billion dollars wasted on c-68,I am not surprised.

PAL
12-28-2005, 02:06 AM
If you're in Edmonton, Pheonix Indoor range has a man by the name of Don Dwyer that will, for $75.oo(tax incl.),walk you through what you'll need to pass,administer the relevant tests and supply you with application forms in about one hour.He's only there on select evenings,you'd have to call and ask about challenging the test to fill in any blanks I may have left out.

grandpa
05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
what about if you are in the Lethbridge area?do you have to go through to the police service or what?

Cowtown guy
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I've seen some old threads revived but I think this is the oldest. I don't recall an '05 thread before.
You can always tell when someone new is around.
Welcome aboard.

Dick284
05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Contact a local firearms seller, they most likely have a contact for someone who will give the course.

Barring that get hold of the Alberta Hunter Education Instructor Association (AHEIA) for a instructor near you, this group oversees all certified Canadian Firearms Safety Course instructors

Scott N
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
what about if you are in the Lethbridge area?do you have to go through to the police service or what?

A friend of my from Lethbridge recently took the course through a contact at Wholesale Sports. You can also take it through the Lethbridge Fish & Game Association, although you likely will need to become a member ($55 / year including range fee).

Hawkeye
05-07-2009, 10:49 PM
If you want to simply challenge the exam, talk to Ted at Marksman's and he will test you. It's a good idea to carefully read the book. Ted probably also gives the courses, too.

I know that Jim at Wholesale Sports in Lethbridge gives the course, immediately followed by the exam.

In my experience, both of these fellows are knowledgeable and reasonable.

Good luck!