PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Elite 7

Wes_G
10-11-2015, 12:09 AM
Anyone have any reviews on this particular sonar/GPS?

I am looking for a new unit to upgrade the old Eagle and this one fits the bill nicely. Also if you buy one right now you get the Lowrance Lake Insight map card for free. However, in some places I read it comes with coverage of canadian lakes but in other places I don't read anything about Canada being on it at all, it just says "lower 48 states" . Just wondering if it actually has any and more specifically here in southern Alberta. Or what would be the card to get for it that would have good coverage of southern alberta?

Walleyedude
10-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Anyone have any reviews on this particular sonar/GPS?

I am looking for a new unit to upgrade the old Eagle and this one fits the bill nicely. Also if you buy one right now you get the Lowrance Lake Insight map card for free. However, in some places I read it comes with coverage of canadian lakes but in other places I don't read anything about Canada being on it at all, it just says "lower 48 states" . Just wondering if it actually has any and more specifically here in southern Alberta. Or what would be the card to get for it that would have good coverage of southern alberta?

The built in map isn't much more than a base map for western Canada.

For southern AB the best option available right now is the Social Map layer in Insight Genesis. The Elite 7 would give you full access to all of that mapping data - for FREE.

JohnnyD
10-11-2015, 10:53 AM
I have an Elite 7 and an Elite 5. I use the 7 for my sonar needs and run the 5 on GPS. The Elite 7 is a great unit, accurate, and meets a great price point. Only lacking feature is the ability to network with other Lowrance units. If you ever plan to run multiple units in the future you will not be able to do this with the Elite 7. Another great feature is the fact that the power and sonar are 2 separate plugs on the back. Makes it great to put onto the snowmobile or quad for winter time. All you have to set up is a second power cord on your machine and you can enjoy the GPS during winter to find hot spots.

Stubb
10-13-2015, 01:15 PM
I bought a boat with the Elite 5 already installed and I actually think I prefer the Humminbird in my last boat for ease of use. The thing that this Elite 5 has though that I love is the ability to connect to the Sonic Hub media player. It has an mp3 hook up, fm, am, satellite and it's all controlled on the screen of the Elite. It's so convenient not to have a separate controller that for that reason alone I would buy it. Not sure if any other brand offers something similar.

JimmerAB
10-13-2015, 10:41 PM
The built in map isn't much more than a base map for western Canada.

For southern AB the best option available right now is the Social Map layer in Insight Genesis. The Elite 7 would give you full access to all of that mapping data - for FREE.

X2 on the Insight Genesis mapping feature. I have owned an Elite 7 for a couple years now. I have created a few maps and added them to the Social Map matrix. You can set up a free account, or pay a subscription to create and use higher end maps, which will show bottom hardness and vegetation along with the depth contours. The Elite 7 itself works great, and the IG mapping feature is the yummy high calorie icing on the cake!

Jim

Wes_G
10-14-2015, 06:23 PM
I have read all the reviews on the bass pro site and a lot of people seem to have problems with the unit freezing or updating very slowly, anyone have these problems?