PDA

View Full Version : Chambering issue with reloads

therookie
10-12-2015, 08:32 AM
It's probably been posted here numerous times but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I'm reloading .223 and am having an issue lately where the round will go into the chamber seemingly fine, but then the bolt won't close or is tough to close. I'm using rcbs small base dies in a rem 700 vsf. Would going to full length dies solve this issue?
Seems to be happening more with my nickel stuff over regular brass
Thanks!

double gun
10-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Check your cartridge oal, case length, and reset your seater to spec.

Bergerboy
10-12-2015, 08:43 AM
You need to bump the shoulder back. Lower your die1/8turn and try again. I personally don't like the nickel stuff as it will chip off.

bat119
10-12-2015, 08:56 AM
I neck size my .223 brass eventually I will need to bump the shoulders back, I use a case length gauge to indicate when its time like this;

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=lyman+rifle+case+length+gauge+223+rem&ksubmit=y

Just drop the case in

therookie
10-12-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm very anal when it comes to making sure the case oal is under 1.760" too and generally they're less than 1.754". I'm gonna try full length dies too and see if it helps but I've never had a problem till the last batch. Had stuck cases and stuff too. Don't know if the dies might be wearing out or not. Got them used and I've done around 1000 reloads with them

elkhunter11
10-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Will the sized cases chamber before a bullet is seated? If not, the issue is with the brass or the die adjustment. Were the cases fired in the same rifle that you are trying to fire them in? Using brass fired in another rifle often causes issues, that in some cases can't be resolved without modifying, or changing out the shellholder. Nickel plated cases often spring back slightly more , magnifying this issue. As for the small base dies, using them will work the cases more than necessary, which will result in shortened case life.

If the cases will chamber fine before seating a bullet, then the issue is likely your seating die not being adjusted correctly. For some reason, many people try to adjust the seating die like the sizing die, and they end up with the seating die contacting the case shoulder and distorting it. Place an empty case in the shellholder, with no die in the press, and drop the press handle all the way down, so that the ram is in the full up position. Then thread the seating die down until the die barely contacts the case shoulder. Then back the die off 1/2 a turn, and tighten the locking nut on the die.

denied access
10-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Will the sized cases chamber before a bullet is seated? If not, the issue is with the brass or the die adjustment. Were the cases fired in the same rifle that you are trying to fire them in? Using brass fired in another rifle often causes issues, that in some cases can't be resolved without modifying, or changing out the shellholder. Nickel plated cases often spring back slightly more , magnifying this issue. As for the small base dies, using them will work the cases more than necessary, which will result in shortened case life.

If the cases will chamber fine before seating a bullet, then the issue is likely your seating die not being adjusted correctly. For some reason, many people try to adjust the seating die like the sizing die, and they end up with the seating die contacting the case shoulder and distorting it. Place an empty case in the shellholder, with no die in the press, and drop the press handle all the way down, so that the ram is in the full up position. Then thread the seating die down until the die barely contacts the case shoulder. Then back the die off 1/2 a turn, and tighten the locking nut on the die.

^^^^This^^^^

therookie
10-12-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks elkhunter! I have tried a couple cases after sizing and some have worked and some haven't. I'll try adjusting the die like u said till I can find a happy place!
The nickel brass I got from budget shooting supply. Never used nickel stuff before.
Might buy some factory stuff to get better brass. The brass I've got came from a batch of norinco 223 when I had my xcr

elkhunter11
10-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Thanks elkhunter! I have tried a couple cases after sizing and some have worked and some haven't. I'll try adjusting the die like u said till I can find a happy place!
The nickel brass I got from budget shooting supply. Never used nickel stuff before.
Might buy some factory stuff to get better brass. The brass I've got came from a batch of norinco 223 when I had my xcr

If you really want to make your brass issues disappear once and for all, purchase some Lapua brass from Prophet River or Hirsch Precision. Also get some good quality dies other than small base dies, and your brass should provide a long service life. Lapua brass cost a bit more, but using my Redding neck bushing dies, the extra service life makes up for the extra initial cost, and cases are also made to much closer tolerances than most brass, so I don't bother with primer pocket unifying or neck turning.

qwert
10-12-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm very anal when it comes to making sure the case oal is under 1.760" too and generally they're less than 1.754". I'm gonna try full length dies too and see if it helps but I've never had a problem till the last batch. Had stuck cases and stuff too. Don't know if the dies might be wearing out or not. Got them used and I've done around 1000 reloads with them

It does not sound like too long case length is your problem, but you can not be positive unless you measure your actual chamber length. This can be quite involved if you need to make a chamber cast, but can be easily done with a manufactured or home-built chamber length gauge. IMHE, most factory chambers are on the long side or (more often) well over SAAMI maximum chamber specification. IMHO, much (or most) case trimming is un-needed, YMMV. I trim most of my brass much longer than SAAMI maximum, but I have measured my chambers and they have proper length clearance, these hand-loaded rounds may NOT be safe in a different firearm.

SB (Sub-Base) dies are usually smaller than SAMMI spec, and are often used to provide easier case chambering in tight or semi-auto or lever action chambers where there is no bolt camming force to aid in chambering. Manufacturers die specifications vary and reamer wear can also result in variation. I have measured some Lee std FL sized cases that were sized smaller that those from an RCBS SB die, YMMV. I doubt that your dies are 'wearing out'.

Will the sized cases chamber before a bullet is seated?

I agree that this is the easiest and first test you should make when troubleshooting problems chambering a loaded round.

If not, the issue is with the brass or the (sizing) die adjustment. Were the cases fired in the same rifle that you are trying to fire them in? Using brass fired in another rifle often causes issues, that in some cases can't be resolved without modifying, or changing out the shellholder. Nickel plated cases often spring back slightly more , magnifying this issue. As for the small base dies, using them will work the cases more than necessary, which will result in shortened case life.

All this may be true, but I doubt that modifying a shell holder is required here, and I would consider it only as a last option after careful measurements and trying brass sized in a several different dies. Before grinding a shell holder I suggest using a gunsmith 'headspace gauge' to verify both the chamber length and the die shell holder combination. I have never needed to shorten a shell holder, but rather more usually use taller than standard shell holders to reduce shoulder bump.

We regularly hear of similar problems chambering a loaded round where the problem is caused by the case neck or shoulder bulging and caused by attempting to apply too much crimp. The solution as Elk11 suggests is proper adjustment of the standard combination seating/crimping die. I suspect that E11 has mis-spoken when he submits that the seating die may be contacting the case shoulder, I suspect that he meant to say that the crimp bevel in the die is contacting the case neck mouth. Very few seating dies are designed with any possibility of shoulder contact. The adjustment procedure he suggests is correct to load a round with no crimp. Few of us crimp loads for bolt action rifles, unless they have very heavy recoil and will be carried in a magazine.

Some try to crimp and seat in a combined operation, and this can easily cause problems similar to the OP. If a crimp is needed, I advise crimping in a separate operation after properly seating.

The Lee 'Dead Length' seating dies do not have a crimp function and are adjusted for solid contact with the shell holder and provides very consistent seating depth and the die is much easier to set up properly. If required, a separate crimp operation is performed using a collet crimp die which is much more tolerant of variations of trim length.

Good Luck, YMMV.

Pioneer2
10-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Do wonderful things to your barrel should you get a case failure and they try to exit the barrel with the bullet.Wrecked action/bolt/barrel + perhaps shooter.Happened to a friends Rem 700 .280......and the smith is aware of others.........Harold

Mike_W
10-13-2015, 01:56 PM
I am not familiar with reloading 223 myself but make sure you are using the proper recommended shell holder I believe that is a #10 RCBS for the 223 rem. If that is corrent follow the previous mentioned proper set up for the resizing die.

aardvaark
10-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Do wonderful things to your barrel should you get a case failure and they try to exit the barrel with the bullet.Wrecked action/bolt/barrel + perhaps shooter.Happened to a friends Rem 700 .280......and the smith is aware of others.........Harold

I think I know this guy. He introduced me to reloading.

I read somewhere a while ago, never to re-use the nickel brass cuz it gets brittle after first use. My (our) friend learned that one the hard way. Fortunately, he didn't get hurt, coulda blown his head off. The 'smith got the gun apart and what happened was the neck separated and went down the barrel with the bullet.

DustDee
10-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Take a read through this:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=265087

I had a similar issue (not exactly the same) and here is the information that I received from the good people on this forum. Maybe something there will help you!

Dusty

RangeTech
10-20-2015, 07:13 PM
C.O.A.L.
Head space.
Proper die setting.
There's not a lot to it. Trim to factory length. Seat to factory COAL. Don't overthink this. Using a black marker and attempting to load a round will sometimes show you where the round is jamming up.

32-40win
10-20-2015, 08:26 PM
The small base die likely should have cured the issue of the brass having been used in you XCR. I could be wrong, but, believe the small base die is an FLS die. If you can chamber the resized brass, then it would be the seater not set properly, as EH11 stated, perhaps hitting the crimp ring a bit harder than it should. The only use I know of, for a small base die, is for autoloaders such as your XCR, and some pumps and lever actions. You would be better off with a regular FLS die for your brass than what you have.
And if you want to spend the loot, you can get Redding, Forster or RCBS bushing and/or bump dies for it.

therookie
10-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Yea I went and got a fls die set and the problem is all but gone. Just have a set of dies sitting here collecting dust now!