PDA

View Full Version : Which auger?

trigger7mm
10-15-2015, 08:18 PM
I'm going to buy a new ice auger this fall, and am wondering which is a good reliable, workhorse. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

HowSwedeItIs
10-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Gas or man powered? I'm looking for one too

brohymn2
10-15-2015, 08:41 PM
I have s strikemaster magnum and it hasn't let me down yet

Mayhem
10-15-2015, 08:52 PM
I have s strikemaster magnum and it hasn't let me down yet

Have had a Lazer Mag Express for 4 or 5 years now with the 2.5 hp Solo motor. Tons of power and no problems. Love it, starts/runs great in any temp. The only thing I would ever consider trading it up for would be the Lite model with the Honda 4 stroke.

Hilgy
10-15-2015, 09:01 PM
I'll toss in my vote for the Ion. I've had mine for three years now and still love it. Everyone I have let use it loves it too. It has never given me any issues. I've never killed the battery in a day but I also don't drill a hundred holes a day either. I have drilled about 30 one day and the battery still said 2/3 full.

spurly
10-15-2015, 09:18 PM
X2 for the ION , I have only had it for one season, but was quite impressed with it.Mine does not have the reverse option. There is about a one second safety delay when you first pull the trigger. It seems to hold a charge very well, have had it out in some pretty cold weather, with no problems at all.very quiet while drilling, no pulling on a cord to start ,no mixing gas. Very happy with mine

TROLLER
10-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Srikemaster with the Honda

Dom4
10-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Srikemaster with the Honda

x2

Redneck Tommy
10-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Honda 4 stroke strikemaster

ak-71
10-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned Eskimo. I have z71 and like it - it's heavy, but powerful and not overly expensive. Had no problems so far.

bloom
10-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Ion. Used two full seasons. See comments above.

Russ C
10-16-2015, 01:59 PM
I am looking for a new auger as well. Has anyone tried the K-drill out?

pinelakeperch
10-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Surprised nobody mentioned Eskimo. I have z71 and like it - it's heavy, but powerful and not overly expensive. Had no problems so far.

I love mine as well. I'm surprised with all of the "heavy" comments. I don't consider it heavy at all, I'm not an exceptionally big or strong guy, but I could easily walk a mile with it on my shoulder.

crazyperch
10-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Another vote here for the Z71. only problem with them is the rip cord likes to break
hasnt happened on mine in the 3 years i have had it. but it has happened to my buddies.

EZM
10-16-2015, 02:53 PM
I also have the Z 71 - the power and cutting speed is awesome - hold on because it will pull you down the hole !!!

I'm thinking of also getting an Ion as well - something about not smoking the tent up or having to deal with gas and oil seems attractive to me. Might sell my 10" Z71 for 1/2 price .... any takers? I think the ION has proven to be reliable at this point.

jkind
10-16-2015, 02:55 PM
I have an Eskimo Stingray that I bought in 2007 and the only issue I have had is I knocked it over and cracked the fuel tank. I replaced the tank and it has worked perfect ever since.

Rikkles Fisher
10-16-2015, 03:36 PM
ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with my Jiffy Pro4 Propane auger. Has some power yet still light, no mixing/priming/leaking I love it.

dodgeboy1979
10-16-2015, 03:56 PM
love my Z51 with 10" blade, cuts fast and starts first pull every time.

PerchBuster
10-16-2015, 05:10 PM
I have the husqvarna with 8" drill for 3 seasons now. It was marketed back then by Normark. Been great to me, changed the blades once as I dulled them. Believe the blades to be the exact same as the strike masters. Very light unit to haul around and drill lots of holes if need be. Ergonomic handles are comfortable and great to use. With full tank of fuel maybe only weighs about 22 lbs. always run the highest Octane gas you can get and use Stihl 2 stroke oil which contains fuel stabilizer already in it would be my suggestion if you go with a 2 stroke motor. I just started it up last week on second pull and she ran strong again so she's ready to drill once we get ice! Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong with any of the modern augers, they are all pretty good now.

Opa
10-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Depending on your budget, the best by general concensus seems to be Nils Master. Tanaka engine, apparently flashes on no more than the 2nd tug on the rope. Mixed with Opti 2 or Amsoil at 100:1 there is no smoke or oil puke in the muffler. Everyone who owns one swears by them. Sounds that they dig like a mad badger.

binnzer32
10-16-2015, 09:16 PM
X 2 on husqvarna. Love mine 3rd season.

I have the husqvarna with 8" drill for 3 seasons now. It was marketed back then by Normark. Been great to me, changed the blades once as I dulled them. Believe the blades to be the exact same as the strike masters. Very light unit to haul around and drill lots of holes if need be. Ergonomic handles are comfortable and great to use. With full tank of fuel maybe only weighs about 22 lbs. always run the highest Octane gas you can get and use Stihl 2 stroke oil which contains fuel stabilizer already in it would be my suggestion if you go with a 2 stroke motor. I just started it up last week on second pull and she ran strong again so she's ready to drill once we get ice! Good luck with your decision, you really can't go wrong with any of the modern augers, they are all pretty good now.

binnzer32
10-16-2015, 09:17 PM
Agree 100%

Depending on your budget, the best by general concensus seems to be Nils Master. Tanaka engine, apparently flashes on no more than the 2nd tug on the rope. Mixed with Opti 2 or Amsoil at 100:1 there is no smoke or oil puke in the muffler. Everyone who owns one swears by them. Sounds that they dig like a mad badger.

Adwittoutdoors
10-16-2015, 11:45 PM
I still have a 20+ year old Jify. Still is reliable , crap did I just jinx it ?!!

The Fisherman Guy
10-17-2015, 09:00 AM
I have a Jiffy Model 30, that has been deadly. Took some tuning to get it right, but it cuts well with a 10" flyte.

Is also have a Tanaka with Nils flyte, it's a 6" so I don't use it much. If anyone is interested in buying it, give me a shout. Comes with two blades.

neilsledder
10-17-2015, 09:04 AM
I seen propane power augers anyone try one of those yet? I thought it was a good idea because I always got the small tank for the heater. But scared it might be hard starting in real cold. I got an older Eskimo but it always dribbles a bit of gas and is smelly.

CMichaud
10-17-2015, 10:12 AM
I just bought a Stingray from CanTire for $240. It was $160 off

They had a couple others on red tag mark down including a StrikeMaster (I think it was about $440?)

They also had the Sherpa Ice Tent Combo (with rods/hand auger) for $180 (marked down $270)

Not sure where you live but keep an eye on CT as they seem to be moving their last years stock for discount

Penner
10-17-2015, 03:46 PM
X 2 on husqvarna. Love mine 3rd season.

X3 on the Husky. Have had mine for several years in a 10"!

jeffrey929
10-17-2015, 06:35 PM
WSS has the 8" Ion, with reverse, for $650. They have quite a selection. They now have one less

iYearn
10-18-2015, 10:30 PM
I just use our hand auger, with an adapter for a cordless drill. With 19v drill, easily go through 3'ft of ice in less than 10s.

honker_clonker
10-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Strikemaster later mag! I've had mine for going on 8 seasons and it hasn't skipped a beat. Lots of power and easy starting.