PDA

View Full Version : Good and bad Jiffy augers?

Headdamage
10-16-2015, 01:20 PM
I've heard that the newer Jiffy Augers are not so good but that old ones are ok. Is this right? If so how do you tell the difference when looking at used ones?

Thanks.

Winch101
10-16-2015, 01:28 PM
There was quite a run of Jiffys with defective carburetor so .

Go on ice shanty and ask the question ......They are made in the

USA ....

dodgeboy1979
10-16-2015, 03:59 PM
a couple winters ago i got an SDI 60 from my wife for christmas. The auger ran well however all the plastic components broke, the carb cover shattered the first time out, and the plastic throttle lever broke the next time out. For the money they charge for these in my opinion it should be built out of more durable materials. Jiffy warranty was a joke, they wanted me to ship it in to the most available mechanic in Edmonton, i ended up arguing over the phone with them and they finally just shipped me the parts.

Jigger
10-16-2015, 04:51 PM
My dad bought his jiffy in the mid eighties i still use it today. We take good care of it, sharpen the blades every year and we've never had a problem with it. The auger is starting to show its age but it's drilled thousands of holes over the years.

the local angler
10-16-2015, 06:24 PM
i have the old school jiffy model 30 since the early 90s still have it till this day and runs strong. i bought the jiffy sdi 60 mentioned above at a really good price only because it was not a modern unit but and older one like my model 30 but was one of those old /new stocks they were trying to get rid of, haven't used it yet but i plan to address all the issues also mentioned above first before using it.

depolloc
10-16-2015, 08:10 PM
I've had 0 issues with my jiffy. 5 years old. Just have regular maintenance.

YeeHaw
10-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Got the 2500 with the so called Chinese engine and have had great luck so far. Though I am debating on putting a new throttle cable in it as this one sticks even after cleaning

icehunter
10-17-2015, 05:59 AM
I have a older model 30 or 35 Jiffy. about late 90s or so. New plug and fuel every year and that thing is like a tank.:sHa_shakeshout: If you need I can grab some pics of it.

morgan
10-17-2015, 03:28 PM
I bought mine new in 2006, use it lots, zero problems, no maintenance either, other than fresh gas.
Has the Tecumseh 2 stroke.

Fishtech1986
10-26-2015, 04:10 PM
They went downhill when they replaced the Tecumseh motors.

Fishslayer99
10-26-2015, 05:23 PM
I have had one that was purchased around 1985 that was passed down to me from my father, its white and black and has the Tecumseh motor...cast iron if im not mistaken. It is not pretty or light but that thing has never given me an issue, runs no matter what temperature it is outside. I will be very disappointed if it ever craps out on me...nothing new will ever last like that old girl I guarantee it!

javlin101
10-26-2015, 08:00 PM
I just sold one to an AO member that was 4 years old and went through 3 tanks a fuel. It was not run for 2 seasons and he added fuel, primed, and pulled 3-4 times and it fired up and ran great.

New Hunter Okotoks
10-27-2015, 02:19 AM
Definitely stay away from the Propane models. It would seem from the various fishing forums that it is very rare for someone to have one without issues. The guys who have used them said that they were very finicky and might work well at certain temperatures, but not others. They might work well for a while but then would be very hard to start after being run. The fuel tanks needed to be kept warm for the engines to work. etc. etc. Obviously not what is expected from an auger at such a premium price point.

I have also heard mixed reviews about the Jiffy four stroke models. Many owners had to bring them in for warranty work right out of the gate because the engines would not start or would start but not run well. Again, someone who spends over $600 should not have to bring their brand new Jiffy auger in to a local small engine shop for warranty work.

One other issue with Jiffy is that there are no returns on them. Once they have had fuel in them, Jiffy will not allow their return for a refund. They will repair them, but not allow for a refund or exchange. I think that this is absolutely horrible customer service! If an auger doesn't run well and the local shop cannot definitively find out what is wrong with the engine, I don't think that the customer should be stuck with it. People should not have to bring their brand new auger in for repair service multiple times per season because it won't consistently run well and is obviously defective. Personally, I will not buy another Jiffy product until their quality control improves considerably. Many people who have been burned have sworn that they will never own another Jiffy product.

If you are going to purchase a Jiffy auger, I would suggest that you look for one of the last models made with the Tecumseh engine. If you keep your eye open on the classifieds, you might very well be able to find one of these gems that has low operating time and has been properly maintained by the original owner.

gmcmax05
10-27-2015, 04:32 AM
I've heard that the newer Jiffy Augers are not so good but that old ones are ok. Is this right? If so how do you tell the difference when looking at used ones?

Thanks.

Are you only looking at Jiffy Augers? From what I heard & read about them I steered clear & tried a Strike Master with a 35cc 4 stroke Honda, works awesome, starts first pull, & runs great. They all have plastic parts, no getting away from that. Just throwing that out there as an option.

calgarygringo
10-27-2015, 06:21 AM
I have one of the older 10 inch Jiffy's and yes they are built like a tank and will probably run forever.
Saying that Tecumseh went out of business several years back is why you really can't find one any longer. Parts are readily available as many other machines use the Tecumseh engines in them from lawn mowers to snow blowers.
On the propane front unfortunately plastic is the way the are made now so not much can be done there. From what I have been told and I am now in the business is that the issue on the propane augers is/was the size of the jet. Once it is/was changed to meet our area they work just fine. If you have one a few years old that gives you grief it may be worth going to one of the repair shops and get it changed and save yourself some frustration.