PDA

View Full Version : Hastled when buying a new rifle

Dick284
06-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Yet again, this is twice in a row the transfer for the purchase of a new non restricted firearm was refered to the Province for review.
This time I waited 2 and a half bloody hours for the transfer to clear.
Call after call on my cell phone reviled that their is a person with the same first and last names, but a different middle name and DOB in Quebec who has a prohibition order against them and this flagged me up.
Apparently the CPFO in Quebec does not post the middle names or DOB into the data base for people with prohibition orders against them.
Also so much for providing your DL number on your application, nor your place of birth or even your mothers maiden name.
I did however get a rather sincere sounding appology from the Alberta CPFO himself stating that the matter was handled poorly and that a comment has been added to my record stating that as long as a valid fireams licence is presented no jerking of my chain is required.
I am however not stopping there I am going to ask my MP to interceed and inquire as to why the data entry requirements are so lax, especially in Federal matters.

Tucumseh
06-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Just another example how well this gun registry works.
Don't it just make your blood boil. >:

osterb
06-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Regretably BillC-68 actually helped expedite handgun transfers rather than having people go to the police station everytime they wanted to purchase a gun.

On the flip side the @#(#(@(#$ guns wouldn't be restricted in the first place.

It makes no sense to me why you can't shoot coyotes with an ar-15.

I can paint Zebra black but it's not a horse, it's stil a zebra. Of course if it scares people to look at, control the only people who listen >:

pegusus
10-17-2005, 03:03 PM
I am a resident of Texas married to a Canadian lady for the past 16 years. Her dream has been for us to have a summer home in her home contry. I have been going to Canada for the whole time we have been married, and I really love it. This year we bought a house in southwestern Alberta (Crowsnest Pass. ) I am really suprised at the opression all gun owners have in the great white north. Man how did you people let this happen? I am a liscenced conceled handgun carrier here so these rules are a shock. Since they have enacted the conceal carry in Texas the crime rate has actually dropped. It sounds as though I may even have a hassel trying to hunt in Alberta. What do you carry for grizzlies during trout fishing season?

Rub Sign
10-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi pegusus!

And welcome to Alberta. I have a host of relatives inTexas (Houston, Beaumont areas and east to the Sabine) and can understand your concern about firearms. Once you're used to being able to use a handgun it's difficult to learn to live without them. But you can.

Actually, handguns have been restricted in Canada since the 1930s. It hasn't done a lot of good (criminals still easily find handguns), but we've learned to live with it. If grizzlies are a concern while fishing, you can always take a shotgun or bear spray is the better choice (if used correctly). For me, awareness is the best way to avoid bears. Stay out of their way or where they're apt to be and you'll be all right.

You can still own handguns and use them under certain conditions. Go to the federal Canadian Firearms Centre (http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/default_e.asp) for information about restricted and prohibited weapons. Start with the Fact Sheets and go from there.

osterb
10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Even though handguns were restricted way back when the RCMP were pretty lax about where you shot them.

I am really suprised at the opression all gun owners have in the great white north. Man how did you people let this happen? I am a liscenced conceled handgun carrier here so these rules are a shock.

Canadians are universally loved because we are sheep. Want to try this revolutionary gun registry? Why not?

Wait until you learn about gun prohibitions.

pegusus
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was under the impression that if it wasn't hunting season you couldn't carry any kind of gun. So if I'm up in the mountains doing some scouting on a 4 wheeler or on foot I can have a 12 ga. with me? If so that would be ok. Even tho it is easier to have a 44 in a holster.

osterb
10-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Oh yeah, as long as there's no discharge laws you should be fine ;)

( I think, varies province to province)

jrs
12-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Its not the registry that will bug you on that one. A guy i used to hunt with was scouting this past summer in a grizzly prone area and he carried his 303. A fish cop saw him headin up the trailhead and really raised a fuss and gave him a long lecture about not persuing or disturbing critters. He never had previous run ins with the fish cops. Incidentally same guy now has metis status but i was glad to hear fish cops still givin him a good hassel. I only ran into him once since he tried to convince me to take him out sheep huting in December and thats when he complained about the biased fish cops.