PDA

View Full Version : question about illegal perch

fishingallday
10-17-2015, 10:30 PM
I was reading about enchant Pond and how there's thousands of extremely small ones. You can keep the trout but the perch are off limits. Does anyone know why? You'd think they'd want to get them out so people could actually catch a rainbow.

Donkey Oatey
10-17-2015, 10:40 PM
I was reading about enchant Pond and how there's thousands of extremely small ones. You can keep the trout but the perch are off limits. Does anyone know why? You'd think they'd want to get them out so people could actually catch a rainbow.

The theory is so that by not being able to keep perch in illegally stocked areas it will limit the allure or the benefit to moving perch where they don't belong.

fishingallday
10-17-2015, 10:47 PM
That makes sense. People are always wrecking small ponds throwing new species in. It would be nice if they stocked somewhere with perch that you could keep.

Adwittoutdoors
10-17-2015, 11:35 PM
I agree. If they stocked enough ponds then our trout ponds wouldn't be destroyed.

fishingallday
10-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Exactly and if they designated isolated ponds say with carp or perch then people won't wreck the trout ponds. I guess there's always someone leaving something behind wether it's their garbage or a new species. Pretty sad

Don Andersen
10-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Perch grow large for a few years till they overwhelm the food resources. At that point, the perch shrink to <> 4".
Then the bucket brigade moves on stocking another lake that gets destroyed over time.
At this point, Phylsis, Tay, Struble, Twin, Cow & Crimson lakes have been destroyed in the Rocky area. Several of these lakes raised 10+lb. trout that rarely exceed 14" now.
Further, other in-named ponds in the Caroline area have been perched.
I have never seen any kids fishing the perched ponds.

Regards,

Don

Nova
10-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Exactly and if they designated isolated ponds say with carp or perch then people won't wreck the trout ponds.

You have a tad bit too much faith. There are too many people who are too stupid, lazy, selfish and inconsiderate. They think their favorite species needs to be right at their back door. The possibility always exists.

I was following some discussion about a few stocked trophy trout lakes in Manitoba that were having issues with pike. Apparently they know who put them there, just didn't catch them in the act. The individual has been arguing for years that the lakes should have pike in them because they are close to home. The really stupid part is 10km or so in the other direction is Lake Of The Prairies, which is a top notch walleye and pike lake.

TROLLER
10-18-2015, 10:03 AM
The bucket brigade never seems to make it to the res. or lake that could actually use the perch.

PCR comes to mind.

fishingallday
10-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Is there a reason why their growth stunts? Maybe just over populated and stressed?

Very true I like to think people would respect the land a bit more but someone will wreck it. There's always empty beer cans and food wrappers around. It isn't even as heavy when it's empty people need to clean up so that when I have kids we still are aloud to fish.

Donkey Oatey
10-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Is there a reason why their growth stunts? Maybe just over populated and stressed?

Very true I like to think people would respect the land a bit more but someone will wreck it. There's always empty beer cans and food wrappers around. It isn't even as heavy when it's empty people need to clean up so that when I have kids we still are aloud to fish.

Lack of predation causes the population to out grow the ability to sustain that biomass so what you get is smaller and smaller fish. Kinda like gold fish in a tank. Will only grow to the size that can live in that environment. Move them to a larger tank or pond they will start growing again.

fishingallday
10-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Lack of predation causes the population to out grow the ability to sustain that biomass so what you get is smaller and smaller fish. Kinda like gold fish in a tank. Will only grow to the size that can live in that environment. Move them to a larger tank or pond they will start growing again.

I see that makes sense. scary the sizes those goldfish can get to after they're flushed seen a picture of one the size of a large plate.

fishingallday
10-19-2015, 10:04 PM
I was just reading the regs again. The part talking about not wasting any of the flesh is saying that burbot is a exeption. Is there just too many of them that they don't care or do they do damage to the environment?

Wild&Free
10-20-2015, 12:38 AM
I was just reading the regs again. The part talking about not wasting any of the flesh is saying that burbot is a exeption. Is there just too many of them that they don't care or do they do damage to the environment?

burbot will lay 250'000+ eggs a season, and that's the first time they spawn.

a Walleye or Pike, about 1/10 that amount the first time they spawn.

fishingallday
10-20-2015, 01:07 AM
burbot will lay 250'000+ eggs a season, and that's the first time they spawn.

a Walleye or Pike, about 1/10 that amount the first time they spawn.

I'll have to start trying for those then

Supergrit
10-20-2015, 06:54 AM
Why would anyone want to stock perch in a trout lake the perch always end up so small you can't do anything with them if you could keep them. P

cube
10-20-2015, 10:02 AM

That is because the commercial fishermen could not find a market for the burbot and lobbied for that exemption. Of course there may be no commercial fishing in the future and that loop hole should be closed ( this will be after all the appeals etc. have been exhausted).