PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening ice auger blades

neilsledder
10-19-2015, 10:11 AM
Going to have to sharpen my blades this year! Just wondering what you guys use to sharpen them? I was going to try to find an old school wet stone to do it but that might take forever. Or is a grinder with a good flapper wheel good enough?

dodgeboy1979
10-19-2015, 10:31 AM
wet stone, the grinder will heat the metal and you will loose the temper of the steel.

neilsledder
10-19-2015, 12:29 PM
wet stone, the grinder will heat the metal and you will loose the temper of the steel.

That's a good point! I just need to find a good wet stone.

Sooner
10-19-2015, 05:11 PM
I just use a hand file, few swipes, get an edge and go. One always in the fishing box in case a quick touch up is needed.

iYearn
10-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Dremel Tool

AdverseCity
10-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Just get new blades, unless you know what you're doing you'll never get an edge like factory. Auger blades are really picky about having a specific angle, if you're off by just a bit they'll take forever to drill a hole. One new set of blades per season is cheap compared to what we spend on fishing on in general.

Kim473
10-20-2015, 07:30 AM
Just get new blades, unless you know what you're doing you'll never get an edge like factory. Auger blades are really picky about having a specific angle, if you're off by just a bit they'll take forever to drill a hole. One new set of blades per season is cheap compared to what we spend on fishing on in general.

X2

My blades have lasted 5 seasons now. May have to replace this year but will give them a test drive first. Take care of your auger and it will last your lifetime. A buddy has a Jiffy that he has had for close to 25 years. Still works but could probably use a carb job.

Buy new blades and keep the old ones as backup. You just never know, one day you may hit something frozen into the ice.

bubba 96
10-20-2015, 08:23 AM
I bring mine into western saw in calgary 9 bucks and just like brand new, they only do the straight blades I believe, I have the jiffy Stx blades....

RayL42
10-20-2015, 10:17 AM
I got a auger blade sharpener and it works well, but not as good as a professional shapening or new blades.

Speckle55
10-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Take mine to a Skate sharpener in town works good

last quite a long time between sharpening

David:)

GWS
10-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Chainsaw raker file followed by a speed sharp

BPman
10-23-2015, 10:34 PM
The blades need to be razor sharp to be any good. There is a shop in Bowness that can maker them like new for about $20, depending whether they are flat or curved. Don't waste your time with a DIY job.

Mudder Man
10-24-2015, 04:51 AM
Very easy to sharpen as I do mine myself. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

I sharpen all my knives, axes, chains etc.

Just use a file for these Blades and you will figure it out.

I say go for it

EZM
10-24-2015, 09:43 AM
There is a place (name escapes me) over by the Soccer Center in West Edmonton.

He does my kitchen knives, chisels and my auger blades. I am pretty sure he charged something like $6 or $8 for the auger blades last year. It's hard to beat a professional sharpening job.

Rage.0
10-24-2015, 10:28 AM
I just use a hand file, few swipes, get an edge and go. One always in the fishing box in case a quick touch up is needed.

x2

Jigger
10-24-2015, 12:11 PM
x2

Yup x3

Red Bullets
10-24-2015, 10:34 PM

X 5.

A fine 'bastard' file is good for putting edges on axes, machetes, and most any blade.

In a fix while ice fishing... if the blades won't bite the ice run your jack knife blade across the angled edge of the auger blades a couple times. The auger should bite better.

Heavy K
10-28-2015, 11:36 AM
The blades need to be razor sharp to be any good. There is a shop in Bowness that can maker them like new for about $20, depending whether they are flat or curved. Don't waste your time with a DIY job.

Carbide Saw Service. They did a great job on mine. Cost about 10$.

PerchBuster
10-28-2015, 06:52 PM
I missed what kind of auger/blade you have? You should be able to hand sharpen the jiffy, some of the Eskimo and other flat blade styles as above with a fine file enough to keep chewing. Curved blade styles like mora strike master, ion swede bore etc would suggest a pro sharpen. It's not expensive anyways. If it's a Nils forget it, go buy new blades, don't mess with a good thing! I always carry a new spare set with me on the ice anyways with a small adjustable wrench so I am never down for long if I dull them on a trip, which has happened before! As long as your auger is able to chew itself threw the ice at a good pace without you having to lean on it then your pretty well good to go. Good luck!

kevinhits
10-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Western saw in Calgary NE....I have 2 sets of serrated blades....$9.00/set...

Take them in the spring and have both sets ready for the Ice season and take them back in the fall ....small price to pay I would say:)

.270fan
10-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Pretty sure they sharpen ice auger blades at the Sportsmans Den in Red Deer, though I haven't taken mine in there yet.

neilsledder
10-29-2015, 06:55 AM
I missed what kind of auger/blade you have? You should be able to hand sharpen the jiffy, some of the Eskimo and other flat blade styles as above with a fine file enough to keep chewing. Curved blade styles like mora strike master, ion swede bore etc would suggest a pro sharpen. It's not expensive anyways. If it's a Nils forget it, go buy new blades, don't mess with a good thing! I always carry a new spare set with me on the ice anyways with a small adjustable wrench so I am never down for long if I dull them on a trip, which has happened before! As long as your auger is able to chew itself threw the ice at a good pace without you having to lean on it then your pretty well good to go. Good luck!

It's an older Eskimo. Unsure of the model but I think it's a piranha with an 8" auger. Nots sure if it's strait or curved.