PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Trout Stocking

fsa313
10-25-2015, 03:47 PM
The following lakes have been stocked with Tiger Trout. The stocking took place Oct 5 and I suspect that more will follow.
The source of my informations is :-http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports/documents/AlbertaFishStockingReport-Oct-23-2015.pdf
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 5,000 Triploids @ 254mm
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 6,408 Triploids @ 254mm

Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 4,897 Triploids @ 258mm
Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 3,032 Triploids @ 340mm

East Twin Lake Manning 1,000 Triploids @ 339mm
Cheers,
Neil

deerguy
10-25-2015, 03:49 PM
There is 1-2000 left to stock and after that no more will be being released. So please do not keep any.

EZM
10-25-2015, 05:06 PM
There is 1-2000 left to stock and after that no more will be being released. So please do not keep any.

why? are you hoping the triploids will find some magical and miraculous way to spawn or would winterkill be prefered?

3N are typically used in put/take fisheries or where native species need to be protected from genetic dilution/contamination.

deerguy
10-25-2015, 06:48 PM
why? are you hoping the triploids will find some magical and miraculous way to spawn or would winterkill be prefered?

3N are typically used in put/take fisheries or where native species need to be protected from genetic dilution/contamination.

When I said they will not be stocking anymore I had assumed that was pretty clear as to why you should not keep them, I guess not.

Please do not keep any, they will not be stocking more so once they are gone they are gone for good.

Does this suffice EZM as a valid enough reason not to keep the fish?

kevinhits
10-25-2015, 06:54 PM
The following lakes have been stocked with Tiger Trout. The stocking took place Oct 5 and I suspect that more will follow.
The source of my informations is :-http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports/documents/AlbertaFishStockingReport-Oct-23-2015.pdf
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 5,000 Triploids @ 254mm
Lower Chain lake Athabasca 6,408 Triploids @ 254mm

Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 4,897 Triploids @ 258mm
Black Nugget Pond Thorsby 3,032 Triploids @ 340mm

East Twin Lake Manning 1,000 Triploids @ 339mm
Cheers,
Neil

Any reason why these trout were not stocked all over Alberta...Particuliarly down South?

deerguy
10-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Any reason why these trout were not stocked all over Alberta...Particuliarly down South?

High mortality rate of the young and expensive to produce

http://afgmag.com/let-loose-the-tigers/

Randyandkim
10-25-2015, 08:02 PM
I thought they picked lakes that were likely to overwinter??

Randyandkim
10-25-2015, 08:06 PM
would be nice to be able to go next year and see some big ones.
X2 on please don't keep... Tiger trout are a treat to see here.

RavYak
10-25-2015, 10:51 PM

SRD is asking people to release them, at least until they can put proper regulations in place(not sure why they didn't get that in place first...).

Tiger trout cannot spawn, they are sterile... They are triploid so they grow faster and can hopefully provide us in Alberta with a fun colourful fish to catch.

I hope that people will respect these tiger trout and let them grow into what they can become. If all you need is a feed of fish there are tons of other water bodies and fish species to target, there is no reason to ruin the tiger trout fishery...

FlyTheory
10-25-2015, 11:32 PM
Let me know when they stock 3n taimen :thinking-006:

But seriously it will be nice to have a variety that isn't potentially harmful. Some people have already caught them and said it was very easy (since they're so aggressive). I wonder it that will be their downfall; poached out within a season?

chriscosta
10-26-2015, 07:41 AM
Tiger trout are not listed in the regs for the lakes they been stocked ..so that would make them illegal to keep I would think ..and at black nugget we caught rainbows that were easily older than this year's stock so I think it might last the winter

Bushleague
10-26-2015, 08:02 AM
edit

Bushleague
10-26-2015, 08:09 AM
High mortality rate of the young and expensive to produce

http://afgmag.com/let-loose-the-tigers/

Are we talking about the Black Nugget Pond by Tofield? Not aware of any Black Nugget Pond by Thorsby. Isnt that a private lake where you must pay a day rate to fish it? Did the campground pay for the tiger trout to get stocked there or did we? Sounds like a huge load of BS to me, I'd keep every damn tiger trout I caught out of that dump.

deerguy
10-26-2015, 08:34 AM
Sounds like a huge load of BS to me, I'd keep every damn tiger trout I caught out of that dump.

This attitude is why we dont have better fishing in Alberta. The faster this province goeS C&R THE BETTER.

Dom4
10-26-2015, 09:15 AM
Putting everything else aside why would they not get the regulations ready before they stock the species into lakes? :thinking-006:

fsa313
10-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Yes, Tofield not Thorsby
Neil

McLeod
10-26-2015, 09:28 AM
You do not have to pay to fish there. Tiger Trout are not yet on Alberta list of trout that can be placed under regulations as that has to be approved by the feds first but should be in the regs for next year. So for now you can keep as many as you want but why would you .they would taste like garbage as they are right out of the hatchery. They are easy to catch and fishing will stop very soon with the freeze up. Whiether they make it to next spring in the nugget we will see as most winters it winter kills what rainbows do make it to the winter. Everyone i saw yesterday was lettting them go !

TroutSlam
10-26-2015, 09:29 AM
I think if someone is claiming there are no regs on these fish it is playing ignorance.
The regs state 5 trout at most stocked trout ponds. It doesn't break them down to species at most(Birch as a example). I believe at the lakes these trout were put in the regs are listed for 5 trout and not 5 Rainbows. So if a guy is keeping more he is poaching. That being said people should be C&R fishing for these or we aren't going to have this opportunity in AB very long.

Dak1138
10-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Are we talking about the Black Nugget Pond by Tofield? Not aware of any Black Nugget Pond by Thorsby. Isnt that a private lake where you must pay a day rate to fish it? Did the campground pay for the tiger trout to get stocked there or did we? Sounds like a huge load of BS to me, I'd keep every damn tiger trout I caught out of that dump.

You can pay to go there, nobody else did yesterday. Campground was closed so there were some gates blocking access but still plenty of parking by the lake.
And if it is such a dump please don't set foot anywhere near it.

FlyTheory
10-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Heads up on keeping them: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=269088

McLeod
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
I think if someone is claiming there are no regs on these fish it is playing ignorance.
The regs state 5 trout at most stocked trout ponds. It doesn't break them down to species at most(Birch as a example). I believe at the lakes these trout were put in the regs are listed for 5 trout and not 5 Rainbows. So if a guy is keeping more he is poaching. That being said people should be C&R fishing for these or we aren't going to have this opportunity in AB very long.

Hopefully no one is keeping any but again they are not a listed species of trout for the purpose of regulations just the same as carp in this province.
Lets leave it at that.

TroutSlam
10-26-2015, 11:21 AM
I think me and my friend were the only ones that left one of the lakes both days this weekend without several in a bag. This fishery will be amazing if it lasts.

Randyandkim
10-26-2015, 12:32 PM
They probably are not very good eating at this point anyhow; would a sign posted at these stocked locations asking people to catch and release until new regs are issued not be somewhat helpful? It would be such a shame to see this be so short lived. Lots of people were pretty excited about these tigers...

deerguy
10-26-2015, 12:48 PM
They probably are not very good eating at this point anyhow; would a sign posted at these stocked locations asking people to catch and release until new regs are issued not be somewhat helpful? It would be such a shame to see this be so short lived. Lots of people were pretty excited about these tigers...

Welcome to Alberta buddy, land of the take what you can and screw everyone else mentality. Can't wait for this province to go straight C&R!

Bushleague
10-26-2015, 02:09 PM
You can pay to go there, nobody else did yesterday. Campground was closed so there were some gates blocking access but still plenty of parking by the lake.
And if it is such a dump please don't set foot anywhere near it.

Lol, I don't go anywhere near it. And I wouldn't actually cross the street to fish for, or eat, tiger trout. But what you are telling me is that the fishing public of Alberta funded the stocking of a lake that access is privately owned, and must be purchased for much of the year (not sure whether jumping the gate is trespassing or not if the campground is closed, maybe you should not be setting foot there)? Or are you telling me that the campground is permanently closed and one no longer has to pay to fish in black nugget lake?

This is the source of my negativity right here, not whether one can or can not keep a trout I will never fish for. Just wondering how such a "unique" place as Black Nugget got chosen as one of two sights for the stocking of an exotic species.

EZM
10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
SRD is asking people to release them, at least until they can put proper regulations in place(not sure why they didn't get that in place first...).

Tiger trout cannot spawn, they are sterile... They are triploid so they grow faster and can hopefully provide us in Alberta with a fun colourful fish to catch.

I hope that people will respect these tiger trout and let them grow into what they can become. If all you need is a feed of fish there are tons of other water bodies and fish species to target, there is no reason to ruin the tiger trout fishery...

My comments were tongue and cheek - I realize 3N's can't spawn and the original intent, as originally communicated by the SRD was to use these fish in put/take fisheries.

My comments were about how disappointed joe meat fisherman might be to hear he shouldn't harvested them despite the fact it isn't illegal to do so.

They are obviously changing the plan, likely due to the newly discovered non aeration liability issue compounded by the fact the tigers were already ordered and purchased, ironically slated for different lakes (which now will be winter killed).

Really a commentary on the duality and complexity of mankind. (lol).

I just am shaking my head about how hard it must be to manage/balance/plan when so many issues and changing mandates evolving virtually as quickly as plans get implemented and underway only to change. A drunken merry-go-round.

Either way - you should know by now - I'm not a meat fisherman AND I have a sarcastic sense of humor.

FlyTheory
10-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Either way - you should know by now - I'm not a meat fisherman AND I have a sarcastic sense of humor.

I genuinely enjoy it.

Dak1138
10-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Lol, I don't go anywhere near it. And I wouldn't actually cross the street to fish for, or eat, tiger trout. But what you are telling me is that the fishing public of Alberta funded the stocking of a lake that access is privately owned, and must be purchased for much of the year (not sure whether jumping the gate is trespassing or not if the campground is closed, maybe you should not be setting foot there)? Or are you telling me that the campground is permanently closed and one no longer has to pay to fish in black nugget lake?

This is the source of my negativity right here, not whether one can or can not keep a trout I will never fish for. Just wondering how such a "unique" place as Black Nugget got chosen as one of two sights for the stocking of an exotic species.

Plenty of parking. Some of the road around the lake was gated off. There were no signs telling you not to walk past the fence so I guess the choice is up to you. I did walk past the gate by the way.
I still don't know what your problem is.

EZM
10-26-2015, 03:38 PM
I genuinely enjoy it.

Thanks ....

Now time for a tiger trout fish fry ..... the limit is 5

Just kidding !!!! I can only eat 3.

Bushleague
10-27-2015, 12:10 AM
Plenty of parking. Some of the road around the lake was gated off. There were no signs telling you not to walk past the fence so I guess the choice is up to you. I did walk past the gate by the way.
I still don't know what your problem is.

LOL, I don't have any of those signs on my yard either, why don't you try hopping my fence :fighting0074:

singleshotom
10-27-2015, 08:39 AM
I was out at B nugget the other day...... wanted to see how the tigers are doing
I caught one took a pic an carefully released it.
I put my rod away an watched the couple of groups of people scattered around.
I was horrified by how these "Alberta sportsmen" where handling these fish!
First off most using treble hook lures they don't pinch the barbs and drag the fish in the gravel an dirt trying to get the hook out, almost every fish is bleeding horribly when throwing them back in.
And people hiding them in the weeds an grass for later pick up....
I spoke to a group of 6 who claimed they had caught over 150 so far an it was slow, they have been out from Sherwood park an this was the 8th day for them....
How sad people are.
F/W are aware but cant be there 24-7 and are hoping people fish with respect too.
I hope they close this pond very soon.........
I know there are a lot of people who care about our fishing and future but believe me a lot of people are rotten pigs.
sst

McLeod
10-27-2015, 09:05 AM
I was there and witnessed that. i suggested they use barbless hooks which they say they were. They were a nice bunch of kids and as there are no regulations pertaining to Tigers there was nothing illegal about what they did even if they killed every fish. I did suggest that they try not to remove the fish out of the water.

I know this body of water well and the odds of any fish making the winter is about about 20 per cent.

pikester
10-27-2015, 09:14 AM
I was out at B nugget the other day...... wanted to see how the tigers are doing
I caught one took a pic an carefully released it.
I put my rod away an watched the couple of groups of people scattered around.
I was horrified by how these "Alberta sportsmen" where handling these fish!
First off most using treble hook lures they don't pinch the barbs and drag the fish in the gravel an dirt trying to get the hook out, almost every fish is bleeding horribly when throwing them back in.
And people hiding them in the weeds an grass for later pick up....
I spoke to a group of 6 who claimed they had caught over 150 so far an it was slow, they have been out from Sherwood park an this was the 8th day for them....
How sad people are.
F/W are aware but cant be there 24-7 and are hoping people fish with respect too. I hope they close this pond very soon.........
I know there are a lot of people who care about our fishing and future but believe me a lot of people are rotten pigs.
sst

Unfortunately this is the trending state of affairs in this province; bring in special regulations throughout the province as well as stocking special species that may need additional protection... and continue to gut the environmental protection agencies charged with making it all work!

It's sad but you can't introduce what some people perceive as restrictions on their rights & freedoms without increasing enforcement, & expect a fairy tale result.

singleshotom
10-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Well I also know this water body very well also, I think I first fished in 1959 or 60 and lived near it for over 60 years.
This stocking was poorly planed and regulations were not in place prior to stocking an the reg changes are in the works.
These fish were introduced to clean the lake of introduced bait fish: various minnows, and remove the stocked rainbow trout.
It will then be restocked an closed for a few years an then opened as a trophy trout lake.
The county an the F/W weren't on the same page as far as protection of the tigers.
I hate seeing this lake changed but I also understand how more an more people want to be able to catch large trout.
Just for your information I have over the years caught many over 6 lbs a few over 8 lbs an the largest was 9lb-4oz, so Black nugget has a wonderful spot in my heart.
Many years ago I was part of a High school project to turn it from a local mine site to a public park area, and at times I wonder why, because of how the fish are so disrespected.
The opportunity to catch a see a tiger are not going to happen often an to watch people out there trying to catch a 100 a day an rip an tear them is a horrible thing to witness.
sst

Battery
10-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Can you ice fish at Black Nugget?. Would be fun to take an over night trip up from Calgary this winter to at least catch one to say I caught one.

McLeod
10-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Well I also know this water body very well also, I think I first fished in 1959 or 60 and lived near it for over 60 years.
This stocking was poorly planed and regulations were not in place prior to stocking an the reg changes are in the works.
These fish were introduced to clean the lake of introduced bait fish: various minnows, and remove the stocked rainbow trout.
It will then be restocked an closed for a few years an then opened as a trophy trout lake.
The county an the F/W weren't on the same page as far as protection of the tigers.
I hate seeing this lake changed but I also understand how more an more people want to be able to catch large trout.
Just for your information I have over the years caught many over 6 lbs a few over 8 lbs an the largest was 9lb-4oz, so Black nugget has a wonderful spot in my heart.
Many years ago I was part of a High school project to turn it from a local mine site to a public park area, and at times I wonder why, because of how the fish are so disrespected.
The opportunity to catch a see a tiger are not going to happen often an to watch people out there trying to catch a 100 a day an rip an tear them is a horrible thing to witness.
sst

Thanks for your contribution and your insight. I just wanted to correct a couple of your comments .
You said "

All four of these statements are false. The pond will be stocked with Rainbows next year. It is not going to be a trophy lake and the county has nothing to do with fisheries put Tigers in there.
Enjoy it for what it is. Its a chance to catch a trout that most have never caught before and for the most part that's why the fish were put there.

mudbug
10-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Can someone post a picture of a tiger trout :)

Talking moose
10-29-2015, 11:18 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/29/a18b188cd56417552ac21a50b2d60c78.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/29/a960740c75174eaf1e0f1a908a9b1e13.jpg
Red belly is a male. Caught last week.

Battery
10-30-2015, 07:51 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/29/a18b188cd56417552ac21a50b2d60c78.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/29/a960740c75174eaf1e0f1a908a9b1e13.jpg

Man those are cool looking fish

singleshotom
10-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Well McLeod, What I said earlier is in fact the reason for the Tigers in BNugget.
Just for the purpose of confirmation Please take the opportunity to call the County of Beaver at 780-663-3730 and ask to speak to Susan you can tell her you spoke to me an don't believe what I've said on this site.
Ask her what the purpose of the tigers in the pond, and how their working on regs now (probably not in effect until early spring), the reason for cleaning out the lake, and how it being a trophy lake in the future, etc. she is the contact for the county in this project.

The alternative to tigers was poisoning the lake which no one wants anymore but might be require if these tigers are destroyed...
And then respond here once again please.
tom

singleshotom
10-30-2015, 06:13 PM
If what the County is telling us is false they are spending a lot of our tax $ making up **** at the council meeting an talking about what is being done.
Sitting in council meeting talking about the Tiger trout, an plan should not be on the agenda if they have nothing to do with it.
I also spoke to the provincial fish Biologist (Owen Watkins) about these tigers an due to area changes Black Nugget is in his area now.
He says yes their put in also for a test.
And claims there should have been a Zero limit put on them, an that is in the works for the spring regulations.
Due the fact that area changes have occurred he is unsure as to who was dealing with the county from F&W.
Possibly one of the bureaucrat's in the Dept. I would think.
I've spoken to 11 F&W dept. staff and got 9 different stories from them.
As you know due to the party change a couple of the appointed bureaucrats would not respond to the questions this week due to the fact their unsure if they are still employed, I think.
So I only state what I have been told, by who should be in the know.
I'm curious to know who has informed you differently?
tom

mudbug
10-30-2015, 07:44 PM

Thanks to those are a nice looking trout :)

FlyTheory
10-31-2015, 12:23 AM
Sounds like Tom knows his sh!t well!

SNAPFisher
10-31-2015, 08:15 AM
Sounds like Tom knows his sh!t well!

For sure! Thanks for posting where you got the information Tom.

wind drift
10-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Tiger trout are being evaluated as a means to provide diversified fishing opportunities, not "clean out" any waters. The County of Beaver is not the correct source of information about fisheries management. To get the facts, it's better to start here:
http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports/TigerTroutStocking.aspx

Talking moose
10-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Tiger trout are being evaluated as a means to provide diversified fishing opportunities, not "clean out" any waters. The County of Beaver is not the correct source of information about fisheries management. To get the facts, it's better to start here:
http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/StockingReports/TigerTroutStocking.aspx

Agreed. Clean out waters is rediculus. Why would they want to clean out baitfish/minnows?(feed for trout) and the rainbows don't breed and could be fished out fast by upping the limit to the lake.

singleshotom
10-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Yes, I've read that many times and have tried to contact the author Jim Wagner....I have emailed and phoned but have no response returned..
And the county will be in contact with F&W on Monday morning for clarification to what they have been told about the Park.
So we'll just have to see where the **** will settle.
But all agree there should be zero limit!!
like Antler1 said this province has such a ******ed up Government an employees
running our F&W its sad........with the bureaucrats the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.
Anyway Ill dig until I'm dead.........Because all the Bastards are spending out money. And don't care..
tom

wind drift
10-31-2015, 11:08 AM
Yes, I've read that many times and have tried to contact the author Jim Wagner....I have emailed and phoned but have no response returned..
And the county will be in contact with F&W on Monday morning for clarification to what they have been told about the Park.
So we'll just have to see where the **** will settle.
But all agree there should be zero limit!!
like Antler1 said this province has such a ******ed up Government an employees
running our F&W its sad........with the bureaucrats the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.
Anyway Ill dig until I'm dead.........Because all the Bastards are spending out money. And don't care..
tom

Wow. Even when doing something like stocking tiger trout, which clearly is intended to benefit anglers, in consultation with anglers, there is still such criticism and vitriol from some. Unbelievable.

huntsfurfish
10-31-2015, 11:22 AM
Wow. Even when doing something like stocking tiger trout, which clearly is intended to benefit anglers, in consultation with anglers, there is still such criticism and vitriol from some. Unbelievable.

Agree!

singleshotom
10-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Well sir, if you see the rape an pillage of these fish by so called sportsmen an ask F&W and the County's Bylaw and legal reps to do something even the RCMP and all say there is nothing they can do!! Just p****** me off.....
This a golden opportunity for all in Alberta to enjoy a special fish I the future.
Some days several hundred are ripped apart dragged in the dirt an kick back in the water, other remove all they can and take home.
You would try to do nothing???????????????
And everywhere you go you get a different story......
You think its out of line to go after those who should be responsible?
These fish cost money to raise, and people responsible forgot to put limits in the regulations, prior to stocking, whos fault is that the "taxpayer" or the people getting paid to take care of our resource?
I personally don't care whos responsible for their protection but someone has to step up before these fish are history.
Maybe it better to sit back an say nothing because you might hurt someone's feeling.
sst

RavYak
10-31-2015, 11:35 AM
Agree!

Do it right or do it twice as the saying goes.

Problem here is we don't know if there will be a 2nd chance...

huntsfurfish
10-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Well sir, if you see the rape an pillage of these fish by so called sportsmen an ask F&W and the County's Bylaw and legal reps to do something even the RCMP and all say there is nothing they can do!! Just p****** me off.....
This a golden opportunity for all in Alberta to enjoy a special fish I the future.
Some days several hundred are ripped apart dragged in the dirt an kick back in the water, other remove all they can and take home.
These fish cost money to raise, and people responsible forgot to put limits in the regulations, prior to stocking, whos fault is that the "taxpayer" or the people getting paid to take care of our resource?
I personally don't care whos responsible for their protection but someone has to step up before these fish are history.
Maybe it better to sit back an say nothing because you might hurt someone's feeling.
sst

Seriously?

huntsfurfish
10-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Do it right or do it twice as the saying goes.

Problem here is we don't know if there will be a 2nd chance...

Or dont do it at all.:)

wind drift
10-31-2015, 11:46 AM
They didn't forget to put regulations in place. Tiger trout are not included in the legislation that regulates fisheries. The federal government needs to make the amendment. This has been delayed by the election. In the meantime, the fish had to be removed from the hatchery, due to their size and space limitations. The choice was to kill the fish in the hatchery because the regs weren't in place, or stock them and request voluntary release until the regs could be amended. F&W made the right decision, as far as I'm concerned. They can't be criticized for issues with angler buy-in and behaviour.

huntsfurfish
10-31-2015, 11:48 AM
They didn't forget to put regulations in place. Tiger trout are not included in the legislation that regulates fisheries. The federal government needs to make the amendment. This has been delayed by the election. In the meantime, the fish had to be removed from the hatchery, due to their size and space limitations. The choice was to kill the fish in the hatchery because the regs weren't in place, or stock them and request voluntary release until the regs could be amended. F&W made the right decision, as far as I'm concerned. They can't be criticized for issues with angler buy-in and behaviour.

Once again agree.

CNP
10-31-2015, 12:03 PM
sst

They are a sterile hybrid. Introduced into lakes (ponds) only. So why a zero limit? The act in your op that disturbs me is the poaching. But they are stocked to be fished to an established limit/season. In my mind it's not meant to be an enduring fishery.......................it's like a box of chocolates. You eat them until they're gone........and then you buy some more. They aren't cutties or bull trout. They're knockoffs that can be mass produced any time we want them.

singleshotom
10-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Now that's a great analogy, "like a box of chocolates". Eat them an someone will buy more.
I guess that's the new theory for resource management. But now that you mention it, your probably right......
It's just that easy, I guess.
Thnx
sst

Talking moose
10-31-2015, 01:06 PM

Tom..... This is the realistic scenario. All your answers are in this quote right here. Mission over. Lol. This quote reeks of probable truths!

singleshotom
10-31-2015, 02:30 PM
This will be my last post on this issue an I have to reply to you Moose.
I agree with the statement you quoted but like I question the new Dept. Minister, as to who's responsible.
These fish weren't hatched by accident and they weren't hatched 6 months ago either. So why did the hatchery hatch them with no plan to release and why and who didn't do their job in the last 12 months more or less?
Someone had to know what was going to happen due to the fact there was a hatching plan in early 2014.
Did no one care about the fish and the cost until all of a sudden, OOh my god we have fish that are too big an have to go!!!!!! Oh God, we have no regulations, Oh now an election. Federally and Provincially.......Ahhhh, turn them lose, and "let the **** fall as far away from us as possible".
This in-fact is only one simple example of Government waste and lack of accountability.
F&W had 18 to 24 months to plan this event.
If everything is run like this, would any business, company, even personal affairs be successful? If so you'd see most cars on the side of the road because the operator forgot to get fuel.
I know many here don't care, and I know some that don't care because they never paid much for taxes an looked to the government for support, but that's not going to continue. Its time to change at least a few little things.
Any way what ever happens, happens cause "its like a box of chocolates".
Eat them all an the good ol Government will get you more.

All the Best an Bless the Tigers

RavYak
10-31-2015, 02:41 PM
Tom..... This is the realistic scenario. All your answers are in this quote right here. Mission over. Lol. This quote reeks of probable truths!

Shouldn't SRD have got the paperwork in place before they started raising the tiger trout knowing they would have to stock them in the fall?

And you can't blame the election lol. SRD has been unable to fix the "accidental" removal of barbless for how long now? How many months/years until Tiger Trout correctly gets added as a game fish species? Just soon enough for these ones to have died off with no future stocking planned? Wouldn't surprise me...

Talking moose
10-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Shouldn't SRD have got the paperwork in place before they started raising the tiger trout knowing they would have to stock them in the fall?

And you can't blame the election lol. SRD has been unable to fix the "accidental" removal of barbless for how long now? How many months/years until Tiger Trout correctly gets added as a game fish species? Just soon enough for these ones to have died off with no future stocking planned? Wouldn't surprise me...

Yes. But it is still the most realistic scenario I've heard.....vs. Planted to clean up the pond. Why would they want to kill the baitfish(Minnows) off that trout can feed on? Why would they try to kill off rainbows when they are unable to reproduce anyway? Makes 0 sense.

CNP
10-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Why should a sterile fish ever get added as a game fish species? Just tossing that out there. Naturally occurring tigers are regulated? Where?

Donkey Oatey
10-31-2015, 05:12 PM

The problem with your point is you are pointing the finger in the wrong direction.

Barbless hooks and tiger trout classification and limits have to come from the FEDERAL government, not the provincial Department of Environment and Parks (btw SRD hasn't existed for the last 3yrs)

wind drift
10-31-2015, 06:34 PM

Your logic is flawed. You are assuming that there is a desire to reinstate the barbless hook regulation. I'm happy that it's left up to anglers to decide when to go barbless.

RavYak
10-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Your logic is flawed. You are assuming that there is a desire to reinstate the barbless hook regulation. I'm happy that it's left up to anglers to decide when to go barbless.

"The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from Alberta Environment and Parks and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released."

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Regulations/BarblessHooks.aspx

Stop "asking" and start getting the laws changed... Same with Tiger trout...

huntsfurfish
10-31-2015, 09:36 PM

Agree. Doubt barbless will be back.

does it ALL outdoors
11-04-2015, 02:40 AM
In the meantime, we encourage Alberta’s anglers to continue to use barbless hooks and remember that we are promoting proper handling techniques for all fish to best ensure their survival once released."
Well said. To bad a lot of "anglers" will still tear fish up with their barbs and poor release technique. I was ok with the barb ban.

does it ALL outdoors
11-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Finally made it out to black nugget to check out the Tigers. Glad I did, were 4 kids there yelling up a storm all afternoon dropping really loud F-bombs when there were kids across the pond and they were keeping everything they caught no matter how small. We ended up leaving as it was just to much and we stopped on our way out to try and explain conservation and respect for everyone around them, clearly it went in one ear and out the other. Just before we left someone came around surveying everyone about the Tigers and asking what we caught and if we kept any. Was proud to tell her all 3 of mine went back in and one was a nice little fatty. It's really to bad some people are hellbent on ruining fish stocks. Funny thing is it's the same people that will be complaining in a few years that there's no fish left, go figure

Sundancefisher
11-08-2015, 09:07 AM
"The Government of Alberta is asking Alberta’s anglers to keep barbed hooks out of our waters.

Last fall, an inadvertent federal amendment to the Alberta Fishery Regulations removed the barbed hook ban. The omission was not immediately noted and has affected about 600 Albertans who were ticketed for using barbed hooks.

Officials from Alberta Environment and Parks and Justice and Solicitor General are working to rectify the problem by withdrawing charges and reversing wrongful convictions and fines for those individuals affected since September 2011.

We’re working with the Government of Canada to determine the appropriate next steps as we consider the current lack of a barbed hook ban.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Regulations/BarblessHooks.aspx

Stop "asking" and start getting the laws changed... Same with Tiger trout...

Tons of evidence that proves barbless regulation is a waste and unnecessary.

Reason for the reg in the first place was because Ralph Klein loved fishing northern Manitoba. Thought the reason why the fishing was so good was because of barbless hooks. He then forced the reg even though biologists tried to explain it was not needed.

Now we have fish cops looking to snare one little wool fibre to make some poor angler cry.

Stupid rule. Needs to stay away.

SNAPFisher
11-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Wow, for once a volatile post is going the right way.

I like the comment about anglers making up their own mind about barbless.

For the tigers, I'm not sure if some of the people here witnessing the slaughter have actually called it in? Whether it is under the rules or not, be the eyes and voice. How about half of a dozen on here simply call the local F&W and bring attention to it. I'll do that and bring attention to this post.

Cheers all!

huntsfurfish
11-08-2015, 12:16 PM

For the tigers, I'm not sure if some of the people here witnessing the slaughter have actually called it in? Whether it is under the rules or not, be the eyes and voice. How about half of a dozen on here simply call the local F&W and bring attention to it. I'll do that and bring attention to this post.

Cheers all!

Must also realize these are put and take lakes.

Talking moose
11-08-2015, 01:21 PM

Cheers all!
What are you going to call in exactly?

RavYak
11-08-2015, 02:00 PM
What are you going to call in exactly?

The law abiding citizens I guess...

There might be someone with SRD worth contacting to potentially speed up their process in protecting these fish like they should be but I am not sure who that would be. At a minimum they need to get Tiger Trout listed as a game species here in AB, imo they should also place special restrictions on them as well.

Must also realize these are put and take lakes.

And you have to realize these anglers are taking advantage of SRD's incompetence to load up on an expensive fish that we taxpayers paid for...

These aren't your regular put and take lakes or rainbow trout of which there are plenty that these anglers could go catch. Instead they choose to take advantage of this poorly handled situation to load up their freezers...

The Tiger trout were meant to be a diversification to allow anglers the opportunity to target another species here in AB not just to fill a handful of anglers freezers... SRD has asked for them to be released but they shouldn't be asking they should be telling...

Bhflyfisher
11-08-2015, 03:44 PM

There might be someone with SRD worth contacting to potentially speed up their process in protecting these fish like they should be but I am not sure who that would be. At a minimum they need to get Tiger Trout listed as a game species here in AB, imo they should also place special restrictions on them as well.

And you have to realize these anglers are taking advantage of SRD's incompetence to load up on an expensive fish that we taxpayers paid for...

These aren't your regular put and take lakes or rainbow trout of which there are plenty that these anglers could go catch. Instead they choose to take advantage of this poorly handled situation to load up their freezers...

The Tiger trout were meant to be a diversification to allow anglers the opportunity to target another species here in AB not just to fill a handful of anglers freezers... SRD has asked for them to be released but they shouldn't be asking they should be telling...

Bang on. Such a ridiculous way of handling their first and likely only tiger trout stocking. People just dont get it.

SNAPFisher
11-08-2015, 06:51 PM

That is exactly what I meant. I'm not talking at all about nailing those that are killing them, that is their right. Just to get F&W to understand what is happening and that they might want to do something about it...earlier rather than later. A few "hot" calls might just get some action. Also, I'm not looking to blame F&W....somehow |I'll bet they will be a bit surprised about what others are reporting here.

TroutSlam
11-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Try calling F&W. I bet they try and nail themfor keeping over 5 trout from a stocked lake. Or what about the province wide trout possession limit.
Any officer worth a Sh@t would. If I see it I know I will be.

Donkey Oatey
11-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Try calling F&W. I bet they try and nail themfor keeping over 5 trout from a stocked lake. Or what about the province wide trout possession limit.
Any officer worth a Sh@t would. If I see it I know I will be.

Guess you haven't been paying attention.

Tiger Trout are not a named species under the Act (FEDERAL ACT BTW) so there is no season or catch limits on them.

The FEDERAL government is the one that has to change the FEDERAL law.

Put and take lake. Didn't have the regs in place and now we see what happens. Big screw up all around.

Seems a lot of posters keep blaming the Province and wants them to do something, but all they can do is ask the Feds to change the law. Sucks but that is the way it is.

TroutSlam
11-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Oh I have been watching this thread & this is people pleading ignorance. The law states 5 trout from a stocked pond. That's all it says. It doesn't say they have to be rainbows or sportfish for that matter, it states 5 trout.
I want to see what happens if F&W show up what their take on it actually is ,rather than just the AO court of public opinion.

Deep
11-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Black nugget yesterday- Enjoyed my first tiger,and like I almost always do-released them. The fisheries tech. was there completing creel surveys. She said these were her project over the past while( they were moved from Calgary to Cold Lake where they grew to 10-12 inch size). Sadly she tells me they do not have a catch limit. I too am displeased with the lack of regulation and the attitude of "catch and keep" everything as witnessed at the lake. I hope there may some left to overwinter and be a nicer size next year.

CMichaud
11-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Can someone tell me who sets the limits (particularly for trout) for the lakes in Alberta?

Thanks

RavYak
11-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Oh I have been watching this thread & this is people pleading ignorance. The law states 5 trout from a stocked pond. That's all it says. It doesn't say they have to be rainbows or sportfish for that matter, it states 5 trout.
I want to see what happens if F&W show up what their take on it actually is ,rather than just the AO court of public opinion.

They aren't listed as a game fish nor as a Alberta trout species as per the federal legislation. There is no limit as such.

Can someone tell me who sets the limits (particularly for trout) for the lakes in Alberta?

Thanks

From my understanding it is SRD via the Alberta Fishing Guide. The actual limits are not laid out in the fisheries regulations act but it does say the following.

3. (1) If a close time, fishing quota or limit on the size or weight of fish is fixed in respect of an area under these Regulations, the Director may, by order, vary that close time, fishing quota or limit in respect of that area or any portion of it.
(2) If a close time, fishing quota or limit is varied under subsection (1), the Director shall give notice of the variation to the persons affected or likely to be affected by it, by one or more of the following methods:
(a) broadcasting the notice over a radio station that broadcasts in the area or vicinity of the area affected by the variation;
(b) communicating the notice by telephone to those persons;
(c) posting the notice in the area or in the vicinity of the area affected by the variation;
(d) having a fishery officer give oral notice of the variation to those persons;
(e) transmitting the notice via electronic means to those persons; or
(f) publishing the notice in
(i) a newspaper circulated in the vicinity of the area affected by the variation,
(ii) the Alberta Gazette,
(iii) the Guide to Sportfishing Regulations published on behalf of the Department, or
(iv) the Guide to Commercial Fishing Seasons published by the Department.

Which to the guy saying it is the feds fault it is not... SRD has the ability to control this situation. Just think back to this summer when they closed fishing due to warm temperatures.

If they don't feel they are legally able to change the quota simply because they are not a game species then they still have the ability to close these lakes to fishing and imo they should until they can get their federal issues taken care of(something that should have been done as soon as they decided to stock tigers...).

FlyTheory
11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Has anyone actually seen people keeping tigers? Just curious.

Talking moose
11-09-2015, 12:54 PM

Yes.

wags
11-09-2015, 12:57 PM

Yes.

TroutSlam
11-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Yes just not in excess...

huntsfurfish
11-09-2015, 01:14 PM

And you have to realize that those people might be there as a result of being posted online(maybe even from here).:) 3664 views so far, just on here.

How expensive were they Rav? Do they cost more than RBT? Mistake(s) may have been made, but that happens sometimes! Maybe Alberta should just say no more new species.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Another point, are they expected to survive in the water bodies they were put in this year?

huntsfurfish
11-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Im betting they will get more to put in! So everyone just chill:);)

RavYak
11-09-2015, 01:48 PM
How expensive were they Rav? Do they cost more than RBT? Mistake(s) may have been made, but that happens sometimes! Maybe Alberta should just say no more new species.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Another point, are they expected to survive in the water bodies they were put in this year?

Yes they are more expensive then RBT... I don't know the exact numbers but I do know they are harder to raise and cost more for that reason alone.

Yes they are expected to survive in these lakes, they were initially planned to be stocked in a few more popular aerated lakes but then the aeration issue came up so they stocked them in these natural over winter lakes instead.

These fish were stocked with the intent of monitoring them for 2 years. There are no future stock planned at this point in time except for the 2000 that are still at the hatchery.

EZM
11-09-2015, 02:33 PM
A couple comments .....

1) Federal jurisdiction, as far as I understand it, has nothing to do with catch/keep limits within a province pertaining to tidal or maritime waters. Alberta has neither, so I thought the feds had zero jurisdiction over provincial keep limits with the exception of federally listed (protected) species. That doesn't apply in this case either. I would think the "feds" have no say in any argument/policy/law let alone jurisdiction related to this thread.

2) I would think "logically" that a 5 trout possession limit out of stocked watersheds would apply to Tigers as they are, indeed, trout. Contrary to that, I think the regs. do state that if a fish is nor specifically listed it is classified as a non-game species and no limits apply. Prosecution of someone taking more than 5 Tigers could be problematic in our courts and likely wouldn't stand up. It's likely an oversight. Someone screwed up here. It's clear as mud.

3) The recent issue surrounding liability for winter aeration, and the fact that these watersheds will likely not be aerated leads me to believe all of the Tigers will likely die if the lake winter kills anyways.

Talking moose
11-09-2015, 03:12 PM
People in white lab coats creating strains of trout. Not my thing. Each to their own I guess.

italk2u
11-09-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm having a tough time understanding what all the fuss is About here.
Many of you say there's a pretty damn good chance the tigers will winter kill anyway. That being the case, other than the ethics issue, why not take home as many as you can carry.
Atleast that way they get to be somebody's food source for a meal or two, instead of ending up on the lake shore stinking to high heavens or in some seagull's stomach in the spring.
Besides, those same takers will probably discover the hard way that they taste like ****, hatchery raised fish usually do.

TroutSlam
11-09-2015, 04:18 PM
They were put into lakes that don't usually/ very seldom winter kill, so that thinking just doesn't cut it. Let them grow and show so we can continue to have this fishing opportunity for years to come. If we fish them out in the first 2 yrs, why would the powers that be continue to waste money on something that we are just going to deplete as soon as we get the chance. Makes me sick some people...

RavYak
11-09-2015, 04:27 PM
A couple comments .....

1) Federal jurisdiction, as far as I understand it, has nothing to do with catch/keep limits within a province pertaining to tidal or maritime waters. Alberta has neither, so I thought the feds had zero jurisdiction over provincial keep limits with the exception of federally listed (protected) species. That doesn't apply in this case either. I would think the "feds" have no say in any argument/policy/law let alone jurisdiction related to this thread.

2) I would think "logically" that a 5 trout possession limit out of stocked watersheds would apply to Tigers as they are, indeed, trout. Contrary to that, I think the regs. do state that if a fish is nor specifically listed it is classified as a non-game species and no limits apply. Prosecution of someone taking more than 5 Tigers could be problematic in our courts and likely wouldn't stand up. It's likely an oversight. Someone screwed up here. It's clear as mud.

3) The recent issue surrounding liability for winter aeration, and the fact that these watersheds will likely not be aerated leads me to believe all of the Tigers will likely die if the lake winter kills anyways.

1) The regulations are federal. If you google Alberta Fishery Regulations you will find them. The possession limits in them do not make sense though(lists all species as having limit of 1) but there is the law that I posted before which gives the province the ability to control limits and post them in the fishing guide which is for the most part not a legal document(other then I believe the limits and season closures).

This is also where one finds the list of Alberta Game fish(schedule 1) which specifically lists the trout species of which Tiger trout is not included.

Furthermore if you look in their definitions you will find the following.

“game fish” means a fish of a species set out in Part 1 of Schedule 1.

and

“trout” means a fish of a species set out in item 9 of Part 1 of Schedule 1.

That aside it is my understanding that it would be the province that is responsible for proposing changes for the feds to incorporate. What is holding up this federal process(Feds not making changes or Province not proposing them early enough) is unknown to me.

2) As above Tiger trout legally are not considered a trout in AB. Other then that you are correct.

3) That would be true but my understanding is that the reasons these lakes were considered and eventually chosen is because they do overwinter.

brown trout
11-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Here's what I don't get... Tigers aren't a "species" to be classified, but are rather the result of two existing, separate species. For example and comparison, so are walleye and sauger, rainbows and cutthroat, bull/brook crosses which are so common on the foothills rivers, or whitetail and mule deer too. All of those exmples have verified hybridization cases (saugeye, cuttbows, bull/brook with no name, and a who-knows-what deer).

Good luck explaining in court that your saugeye or cuttbow was a sucker and has an unlimited limit. Same for the bull/brook. Ditto for the deer. You should be OK in the latter, provided you had a tag for one of the aforementioned species. As far as saugeye Or trout go, you will be OK provided you can justify the correct ID of the fish (I.e. no black on the dorsal fin, even if it has vermiculations on the back).

Why is the same logic not pertaining to "tigers" which are really not a different species, but the mule of browns and brookies. I'll say first hand, that there would be no way to ID nearly 50% of them as NOT browns (I.e. more than 50%would or could be IDed as browns if you didn't know tigers had been stocked) from a pure phenotypical view. Besides, they are the direct offspring of two verified game species.

If walleye and saugeye are 3 combined, and brown/brook are 5 combined (as far as still waters go), then why would saugeye and "tigers" be any different.

If the stocking reports showed BKBR instead of TgTr or whatever, would make a lot more sense.

And, if this is what it has come down to, best get used to not using common names in the regs.

"I sure don't get no 'brook trout' in this here Crick, but there are a lot of those ol' squaretails...".

Seems ripe for ignorant excuses to me.

Talking moose
11-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Here's what I don't get... Tigers aren't a "species" to be classified, but are rather the result of two existing, separate species. For example and comparison, so are walleye and sauger, rainbows and cutthroat, bull/brook crosses which are so common on the foothills rivers, or whitetail and mule deer too. All of those exmples have verified hybridization cases (saugeye, cuttbows, bull/brook with no name, and a who-knows-what deer).

Good luck explaining in court that your saugeye or cuttbow was a sucker and has an unlimited limit. Same for the bull/brook. Ditto for the deer. You should be OK in the latter, provided you had a tag for one of the aforementioned species. As far as saugeye Or trout go, you will be OK provided you can justify the correct ID of the fish (I.e. no black on the dorsal fin, even if it has vermiculations on the back).

Why is the same logic not pertaining to "tigers" which are really not a different species, but the mule of browns and brookies. I'll say first hand, that there would be no way to ID nearly 50% of them as NOT browns (I.e. more than 50%would or could be IDed as browns if you didn't know tigers had been stocked) from a pure phenotypical view. Besides, they are the direct offspring of two verified game species.

If walleye and saugeye are 3 combined, and brown/brook are 5 combined (as far as still waters go), then why would saugeye and "tigers" be any different.

If the stocking reports showed BKBR instead of TgTr or whatever, would make a lot more sense.

And, if this is what it has come down to, best get used to not using common names in the regs.

"I sure don't get no 'brook trout' in this here Crick, but there are a lot of those ol' squaretails...".

Seems ripe for ignorant excuses to me.
Because cut bows and saugeye and whitetail/Mule are breeding in the wild naturally. Tigers are "built" and raised in hatcheries.

brown trout
11-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Because cut bows and saugeye and whitetail/Mule are breeding in the wild naturally. Tigers are "built" and raised in hatcheries.

There have been natural tigers caught in Alberta. My inquiry is about how the federal regulatory wording can so severely limit the provincial government's ability to control its own resource. Seems that by default the offspring of game species should be species. Or else the very rigid wording of fish ID in Alberta will result in many, many poaching cases that can be untried.

Talking moose
11-09-2015, 05:14 PM
There have been natural tigers caught in Alberta. My inquiry is about how the federal regulatory wording can so severely limit the provincial government's ability to control its own resource. Seems that by default the offspring of game species should be species. Or else the very rigid wording of fish ID in Alberta will result in many, many poaching cases that can be untried.

I don't know, just a guess. Myself, I am not into any fish not native to Alberta. Browns and brooks and tigers, non native. I feel our financial resources should be put towards native fish in some way. My opinion.

wildman
11-09-2015, 06:22 PM
This whole story is brutal.....
From fisheries doing a horrible job yet again and making a mess of a good opportunity to the anglers abusing resources yet again....brutal....

deerguy
11-09-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm having a tough time understanding what all the fuss is About here.
Many of you say there's a pretty damn good chance the tigers will winter kill anyway. That being the case, other than the ethics issue, why not take home as many as you can carry.
Atleast that way they get to be somebody's food source for a meal or two, instead of ending up on the lake shore stinking to high heavens or in some seagull's stomach in the spring.
Besides, those same takers will probably discover the hard way that they taste like ****, hatchery raised fish usually do.

Some people care about the fisheries and want to see a future, others can't see past tomorrow and have a gimme gimme attitude. Soon enough the province will go C&R and we won't have this crap to worry about.

wind drift
11-09-2015, 07:21 PM
This whole story is brutal.....
From fisheries doing a horrible job yet again and making a mess of a good opportunity to the anglers abusing resources yet again....brutal....

If you read the whole story, you read my post #54. What exactly is the horrible job yet again?

338Bluff
11-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Some people care about the fisheries and want to see a future, others can't see past tomorrow and have a gimme gimme attitude. Soon enough the province will go C&R and we won't have this crap to worry about.

This Province isn't going catch and release any day soon. More trophy fisheries that offer that option are always welcome, but at the end of my day I don't play with my food. I catch enough to eat and then I quit. Catch and release can be just as or more abusive on our fish stocks than catch and kill.

Talking moose
11-09-2015, 10:46 PM
This Province isn't going catch and release any day soon. More trophy fisheries that offer that option are always welcome, but at the end of my day I don't play with my food. I catch enough to eat and then I quit. Catch and release can be just as or more abusive on our fish stocks than catch and kill.

Agreed.
A guy might go out, catch 1 fish, go home and eat it.
Another guy may go out, catch and release 100 fish, and have several end up dying.
In reality, the guys out catching and releasing 100's of fish may be doing more damage than the old timer that catches a fish and goes home and eats it.
It's best not to point fingers.

wildman
11-10-2015, 01:10 PM
quote - If you read the whole story, you read my post #54. What exactly is the horrible job yet again?

the fact that fisheries raised and fed these trout for how long and stocked them without regulations in place and didn't think of it until it was too late is just another sign of rampant incompetence. setting regs should have been one of the first things dealt with the moment they took this project on. waste of resources. extremely mickey mouse. typical for the alberta fisheries track record.

huntsfurfish
11-10-2015, 02:23 PM
quote - If you read the whole story, you read my post #54. What exactly is the horrible job yet again?

the fact that fisheries raised and fed these trout for how long and stocked them without regulations in place and didn't think of it until it was too late is just another sign of rampant incompetence. setting regs should have been one of the first things dealt with the moment they took this project on. waste of resources. extremely mickey mouse. typical for the alberta fisheries track record.

Rampant incompetence?
How bout a minor oversite. Did you know it had to be mentioned? This may have been a first for them(probably was).

Careful how you whine, lots of people(fishermen) that would rather see this money spent on native fish!

The fish have been stocked, they are not wasted! Dumping them would have been wasted.

Sorry "Alberta Fisheries" do not live up to your expectations.:) They tried to do something that some wanted to see happen(stock TGTR). Maybe they had it right before - no new species.:thinking-006:

wildman
11-13-2015, 09:57 AM
brutal.
the fact you're defending all this as a "good try" speaks volumes about just how bad a track record fisheries has.
the more people keep their heads in the sand the less things will change.
par for the course I guess.

huntsfurfish
11-13-2015, 10:35 AM
brutal.
the fact you're defending all this as a "good try" speaks volumes about just how bad a track record fisheries has.
the more people keep their heads in the sand the less things will change.
par for the course I guess.

Guess we should hang em.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

There was an ooops, a mistake.....

Get over it.:)

Pretty sure they will fix it just for you guys and raise and stock some more. Then all will be well.:)

wildman
11-13-2015, 03:19 PM
very accepting of mediocre performance.....are you an oilers fan???:)
I will get over it. just a really lame waste of fisheries funds is all. and this province can't afford to waste what little funds is allocated....

EZM
11-13-2015, 03:53 PM
1) The regulations are federal. If you google Alberta Fishery Regulations you will find them. The possession limits in them do not make sense though(lists all species as having limit of 1) but there is the law that I posted before which gives the province the ability to control limits and post them in the fishing guide which is for the most part not a legal document(other then I believe the limits and season closures).

This is also where one finds the list of Alberta Game fish(schedule 1) which specifically lists the trout species of which Tiger trout is not included.

Furthermore if you look in their definitions you will find the following.

and

That aside it is my understanding that it would be the province that is responsible for proposing changes for the feds to incorporate. What is holding up this federal process(Feds not making changes or Province not proposing them early enough) is unknown to me.

2) As above Tiger trout legally are not considered a trout in AB. Other then that you are correct.

3) That would be true but my understanding is that the reasons these lakes were considered and eventually chosen is because they do overwinter.

1) Like I said, as far as I know, the province legislates catch and keep limits. People who violate those limits are charged provincially (under the provincial statute and are tried in provincial court) are they not? (maybe I'm wrong). Either way - it was just a thought and comment on my part - I could be wrong (but I think you might be instead ..... wink ....). I'm going to do a little digging on this and see what we come up with ..... I am curious about this actually. I bet you a beer I'm right !!!

2) This one is weird and likely an oversight or bad timing in my opinion. Tigers are trout (or char actually). They are not listed in Alberta as a game species - so it's a catch 22. Either way I'm convinced this is a simple oversight OR, the timing didn't work as explained (theorized) in my original response to this topic.

As a side note - with a wink - To my previous point, why would the feds, who you feel govern and legislate the provincial fisheries act, need Alberta to "legally consider" or "recognize" a listed species? If they are in charge, and the Tigers are listed as a species in other jurisdictions why not Alberta? To me that makes no sense. It is my belief that the province regulates and legislates catch and keep limits for those species not federally listed as protected under the protection act.

3) Likely that was the case - I would agree - hopefully Joe meat fishermen won't catch all the fish and feel it's his right to catch and eat as many as he can. This attitude makes us all sick.

Interesting topic anyways. Let's see what I can dig up when a get a little free time.

EZM
11-13-2015, 04:03 PM
UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!

Rav Yak owes me a beer .... !!!!!

made a quick call on this and was directed to this link (as a summary ).

Looks like each province is set up differently, but Alberta manages (legislates) and licenses fisheries. I asked specifically about catch / keep limits and the was told .... yes .... Alberta makes the rules and there is no federal jurisdiction in Alberta outside of Federally listed (protected) species. In the case, specific to Tigers, this does not apply as the Tigers are not listed as protected.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/policies-politiques/op-pc-eng.htm

mmmmm ......... cold beer

One side note - just reading some other stuff here - "Officially" the Federal government "can" overrule provincial regulations regarding fisheries - but that have never done so and have a reciprocal management philosophy of non interference with the provinces who choose to self manage non tidal regulations.

So maybe a light beer is in order.

huntsfurfish
11-13-2015, 06:05 PM
very accepting of mediocre performance.....are you an oilers fan???:)
I will get over it. just a really lame waste of fisheries funds is all. and this province can't afford to waste what little funds is allocated....

:)So you think stocking tiger trout is a waste too?:);)

RavYak
11-13-2015, 07:07 PM
EZM read my post again... I clearly state the province controls the limits etc by posting them in the guide to fishing regulations...

I have looked over the actual regulations many times and I understand them. For those that haven't done so here are some links you may find of interest.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/peches-fisheries/rec/regs-eng.htm

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/FisheriesAct.aspx

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-14/

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-246/FullText.html

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=1997_203.cfm&leg_type=Regs&isbncln=9780779788040&display=html

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=F16.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779786121&display=html

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

You have to read all of them and know which governs what parts. It is a little confusing for most that is why they created and produce the guide to fishing regulations which on page 9 states it is not a legal document(although in fact I believe it is in certain situations such as lake specific quotas).

Deep
11-13-2015, 09:14 PM
I fished Black Nugget, and had a talk with a provincial Tech. that was part of the tiger trout -from their beginning. They started out in Calgary and were moved to Cold Lake to grow even larger. She sadly admitted there was not a limit on them. Her reason for being at Black Nugget was for "Creel surveys". There was an individual she expected to have hidden part of his catch.

singleshotom
02-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Such a shame how the Tiger Trout were brutally decimated in Black Nugget. These words from a Fish Biologist at the lake yesterday.......... Some of the misinformed people writing on social media are one of the big problems he claimed. Them stating that the trout were put in to take.. and had no limits...
Absolutely misinformed an a lot of people read it an believe is the law.......
If you read this entire thread its not hard to see what happens.
Shame on the people that Rape an Pillage our lakes to a point where there is nothing left. The answer to Pigs is zero limits.......

Hope you ate good .....
sst

singleshotom
02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
PS
I was told we have a new fish boss in Alberta.........
And hopefully things will be different......
Maybe
sst

Dr.Shortington
02-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Agreed.
A guy might go out, catch 1 fish, go home and eat it.
Another guy may go out, catch and release 100 fish, and have several end up dying.
In reality, the guys out catching and releasing 100's of fish may be doing more damage than the old timer that catches a fish and goes home and eats it.
It's best not to point fingers.

Sure it happens....but if you took a large sample size, catch and kill would have much higher mortality rates.

McLeod
02-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Such a shame how the Tiger Trout were brutally decimated in Black Nugget. These words from a Fish Biologist at the lake yesterday.......... Some of the misinformed people writing on social media are one of the big problems he claimed. Them stating that the trout were put in to take.. and had no limits...
Absolutely misinformed an a lot of people read it an believe is the law.......
If you read this entire thread its not hard to see what happens.
Shame on the people that Rape an Pillage our lakes to a point where there is nothing left. The answer to Pigs is zero limits.......

Hope you ate good .....
sst

Not sure who this Biologist your referring to is but Dave Park..now a section head with fisheries ...Yes Alberta Fish and Wildlife .. was in charge of this project and he clearly stated the objective of stocking Tiger Trout was to basically see what the public reaction would be .In other words would Anglers take to it and enjoy the experience of fishing for these trout. Yes they would like to have a had them listed so there was a limit but that is controlled by the Feds and the regulations could not be changed to reflect a Tiger trout limit before they had to get the fish out of the hatchery in Cold lake.
Will they be stocked again ? Yes when possible. Of course they knew they fish would not last long.