PDA

View Full Version : McGregor or Travers?

LutherDLG
10-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Hey All,

Going to head out on Sunday with the girlfriend and puppy for probably the last time this year before ice. Trying to find somewhere with fairly consistent walleye action (trying to keep her interested in fishing), so I'd normally go to CVR, but would love to try my luck at a whitefish (won't be crushed if I fail).

Was looking at Travers by the dam or by LBPP or at McGregor - looks like there's a couple decent shore access points in the NW corner. However, I haven't been to either. We'll be fishing from shore.

If you all think I'm crazy for trying to catch a whitefish on open water, might just head to Spray for lakers.

Not looking for any honey holes, but any thoughts/advice is welcome as always.

Cheers.

marty1
10-28-2015, 12:19 PM
Hey All,

Going to head out on Sunday with the girlfriend and puppy for probably the last time this year before ice. Trying to find somewhere with fairly consistent walleye action (trying to keep her interested in fishing), so I'd normally go to CVR, but would love to try my luck at a whitefish (won't be crushed if I fail).

Was looking at Travers by the dam or by LBPP or at McGregor - looks like there's a couple decent shore access points in the NW corner. However, I haven't been to either. We'll be fishing from shore.

If you all think I'm crazy for trying to catch a whitefish on open water, might just head to Spray for lakers.

Not looking for any honey holes, but any thoughts/advice is welcome as always.

Cheers.
I can't comment on those lakes, , but what I've started doing when I'm out fishing for walleye and whites I add a small bead head nymph (brassi for example) 10" up from let's say a jig and minnow, slowly work that and you will eventually be awarded. This is something I've started doing lately and I'll catch almost as many whites as I do eyes, I always do this now as it works very well.Cheers

LutherDLG
10-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the response, Marty.

I was planning on using a jig or p-rig set and a wireworm and bobber set up separately (there will be 2 of us), but that's a pretty interesting idea.

marty1
10-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the response, Marty.

I was planning on using a jig or p-rig set and a wireworm and bobber set up separately (there will be 2 of us), but that's a pretty interesting idea.

Ya it's pretty cool I get hacked on by my buddies about this method all the time but I caught whites doing this in newell,sylvan and Gull and my personal opinion is I think the whites put up a better scrap but I still go for the eyes and the whites just always seem to be with them.