PDA

View Full Version : My 2015 Open Water Season

hippietrekker
11-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Well, I must say that I had such an awesome open water season and I am a little saddened to see it go. This year marked: a) personal best pike (North Buck Lake 95 cm); b) personal best walleye (Lac La Biche 64 cm); c) first ever sucker (Pembina River). Unfortunately, I do not have pictures - I usually have a camera but forget about it until after the fact.
This was the first year my wife went fishing too, I had a lot of fun teaching her techniques (starting with the basics of... how to cast). She may not be as enthralled with fishing as I but she has time to come around. We also bought a canoe this year so getting off the shoreline was nice - we had a lot of success at North Buck, not many large fish but the numbers were there.
The highlight of the year, heading out with my Dad, brother, and brother in-law mid way through September. Spent a day on Lac La Biche - first time fishing that body of water but wow, perhaps the most enjoyable day of fishing I've had. We caught plenty of fish and many were of decent size.
Also tasted Walleye for the first time this year - I caught some nice ones at Pembina River that were above legal length. It is a tasty fish to be sure.
I look forward now to the ice fishing season, last year marked my first season of this - I am hoping that my skills improve and I have more success. But let us be real, any day outside is better than a day indoors.