PDA

View Full Version : Is Blood Iced over yet?

6mmhunter
11-08-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm going to be out hunting that way this week and was wondering if anyone knows if Blood Indian is iced over yet. Wouldn't mind a little fishing after my hunt!! Thanks

pinelakeperch
11-08-2015, 11:35 PM
I haven't been out there yet, but I would imagine that it isn't.

TROLLER
11-09-2015, 12:04 PM
December at the earliest most likely after Xmas

6mmhunter
11-09-2015, 12:10 PM
December at the earliest most likely after Xmas

Actually I was hoping that it would still be open water to fish from shore.

pinelakeperch
11-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Actually I was hoping that it would still be open water to fish from shore.

You're probably in luck. If anything, the shores may be starting to ice up.

pinelakeperch
12-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Anyone been out?

6mmhunter
12-17-2015, 12:31 AM
I fished blood from shore in mid November after my hunting trip. Fishing was good then, since the ice went on I haven't heard anything.

slipbobber
01-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Have not ice fished for Rainbows for 20 years when I lived not far from here. Is the fishing good this time of year and what is the go to bait? Used to be corn back in the day.

pinelakeperch
01-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Have not ice fished for Rainbows for 20 years when I lived not far from here. Is the fishing good this time of year and what is the go to bait? Used to be corn back in the day.

Blood has been good the 2 or 3 times I've been out this year. Minnows, worms, cheese, power bait, etc. I wouldn't recommend corn as the fish cannot properly digest it. The 1in Berkley Gulp minnows on a small jigging spoon work excellent. My dad and I limited out with that method a week ago. Good luck!

TROLLER
01-10-2016, 09:52 AM
I too was under the belief that trout could not digest corn and mentioned it to a fella that was releasing 100,000 fingerlings at a lake I was at a few years back.

He said they fed corn to one pond of trout to prove the theory and no problems. He told me corn was never going to harm the trout. That being said I still don't use it but lots still do.

pinelakeperch
01-10-2016, 01:00 PM
I too was under the belief that trout could not digest corn and mentioned it to a fella that was releasing 100,000 fingerlings at a lake I was at a few years back.

He said they fed corn to one pond of trout to prove the theory and no problems. He told me corn was never going to harm the trout. That being said I still don't use it but lots still do.

I'm not saying he's wrong, as I haven't done any sort of experiment. What I have noticed is almost every trout I clean out of Blood has corn in their stomachs that is completely undigested. I'm not necessarily saying that it kills the trout, but there are other baits that are better digested and are equally (or more) effective.

Here's a short article:
http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm