PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing rods/tackle?

neilsledder
11-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Just wondering what everybody uses for is fishing? I got and use those black plastic ice fishing rods from Canadian tire and the little mini rods with an open faced reel, but I wonder how those would handle a 10+ pound fish? I got a couple basic tip ups to. Just thinking there's got to be a better rig to use. What do use guys mainly fish with? Pictures please lol

SKSniper
11-10-2015, 07:41 AM
My only advice is DON'T buy a cheap rod. I finally hooked into a really nice pike at Wabamun last winter and it snapped my cheap p.o.s. rod clean in half and got off the hook :(

neilsledder
11-10-2015, 07:54 AM
My only advice is DON'T buy a cheap rod. I finally hooked into a really nice pike at Wabamun last winter and it snapped my cheap p.o.s. rod clean in half and got off the hook :(

That's what I am worried about! I am going to check out the fishing hole and stuff to see what's there.

Kim473
11-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Small light rods, 4 - 6 lb test for Perch and whites. Heavy duty small rod for everything else. Tip up with 12 lb plus, braid for large pike. You want a reel with a fair drag system for everything if useing a rod. Even large perch.
Ive pulled in a few 5lb plus walleye and pike with my heavier small rod with 10 lb test. My rod and reel combos are Wallmart cheapies and have worked good for the last 5 years or so. One heavy and one light. I added a wire strike indicator on both for the light biters.

Kim473
11-10-2015, 08:09 AM

Lighter drag needed. At Wab I would only use a tip up with a heavy braid line for the pike.

EZM
11-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Last year I decided to get a few heavier and slightly longer ice rods and I'm glad I did.

A bigger fish decides he is going for a burn you better be able to get that rod tip below the edge of ice hole or you can get snapped off or cut off on the sharp edges.

It also helps when those sneaky little Pike decide to come in, steal your bait and tie everyone's lines together under the ice !!!!

I will always have a few longer ice rods around - they make life easier when fighting bigger fish.

For Perch a small sensitive rod, with light monofilament line, is my choice there.

TROLLER
11-10-2015, 10:48 AM
You can buy an ugly stik ice rod

I prefer the St. Croix around 30 inches and I pair it with a 500 Shimano. Have a few of them and a 38 inch rods with 500 Browning

Never have used tip ups as I release almost 100%

Not much more fun than catching a heavy one on a good light ice rod.

yetiseeker
11-10-2015, 12:22 PM
One recommendation; be careful using braided line for ice fishing. When you reel braided line onto your spool, it will wet the remainder of the line, and with the cold weather, can freeze your spool. When a fish bites, and the line is frozen on your spool, it can spoil a good day pretty quick. If you intend to only fish in a heated hut, or with a tip-up with the spool submerged in water, you'll be ok. Otherwise, be cautious where you use braided line.

Myself, I like fluorocarbon for ice fishing. Mono has its' place, but I would still suggest a fluoro leader especially in clear water.

Skoaltender
11-10-2015, 12:29 PM
I don't go for the cheapest rods on the market but definitely not a top of the line guy either. I spent $30-$60 on all my ice rod/reel combos
I mainly target perch/pike/walleye.

Rods I own are:
1x marmish palm rod (perch)
2 x 24" ultralight rods (Perch/whitefish)
2 x 28" med/heavy (walleye/pike)
2 polar thermal tip-ups always rigged for pike.

Some of these $30 combos have lasted me 6+ seasons so far, and they have taken their fair share of abuse.

TROLLER
11-10-2015, 01:57 PM
One recommendation; be careful using braided line for ice fishing. When you reel braided line onto your spool, it will wet the remainder of the line, and with the cold weather, can freeze your spool. When a fish bites, and the line is frozen on your spool, it can spoil a good day pretty quick. If you intend to only fish in a heated hut, or with a tip-up with the spool submerged in water, you'll be ok. Otherwise, be cautious where you use braided line.

Myself, I like fluorocarbon for ice fishing. Mono has its' place, but I would still suggest a fluoro leader especially in clear water.

Interesting all I ever run is braid on all my ice reels with a good 3 ft. of fluorocarbon leader and cannot remember the braid freezing on the spool. the first few ft. will always gather up ice out of the tent but not to the point where it has froze on my spool

yetiseeker
11-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Interesting all I ever run is braid on all my ice reels with a good 3 ft. of fluorocarbon leader and cannot remember the braid freezing on the spool. the first few ft. will always gather up ice out of the tent but not to the point where it has froze on my spool

When I think back on this, it might be mostly when Laker fishing in deep water. I suppose the depth would have an impact. The more line let out, the more water retention and hence the build up of water and ice.

I have moved away from ice fishing with braid as I have lost fish due to the frozen spool....

Adwittoutdoors
11-14-2015, 12:23 AM
I have 3 Fenwick rods at $45 a piece ( different sizes ) and I bought two sienna ice reels $50 a piece. Today I bought a Abu Garcia S5 for $40. They handled 5 to 7 lb whites no problem. ( 8 lb floro ) I've bought cheap rod / reel combos but they freeze up and wear out quick. I even fell on my Fenwick and told them and they still warrentied it !!!!! You can't go wrong with Fenwick. You know they should hire me !!! Lol

ROA
11-14-2015, 02:24 AM
For an all round rod that can handle everything I like solid Fiberglass call it old fashioned but they give the best service The worst rods are the cheap hollow graphites that break easily and without warning.

My favourite was the older ugly sticks with the cork handle and clear tip. Easily one of the best Rods I have ever used and the reel they came with was awesome. I don't like the new ugly sticks too soft of a tip can't feel the bites and a weird transition into a stiff butt.

There is a cheap orange Zebco rod out now that looks really good solid fibreglass should be tough enough for most every thing,, don't know about the reel on it though. Honestly would take it over some of my $$ fancy rods for bouncing around in the sled in the morning and then hooking into a hog at -30 c in the afternoon.

Brandon5555
11-14-2015, 02:50 AM
If you wanna keep it cheap go for a medium action ugly stick combo from Cambodian tire. 34.99. and for perch I use a ht very light action rod. 15.99 at fishin hole. Its about a foot long. As for tip ups the 2 for 15.99 deal bass pro has will work, although poor quality. Bought me a windlass this year, hoping that treats me pretty good. 17.99 for that so can't complain