PDA

View Full Version : Puppy advice requested

double gun
11-10-2015, 02:27 PM
I recently got a young puppy and she loves to gnaw on my hands. I bought her multiple chew toys which she will play with when alone but as soon as I am there she goes for my hands. She only does it to people she is comfortable with, and it's not like she is biting hard - (but her teeth are like little needles.) I assume it's teething?

Question is:

Should I try to stop this, or will she quit as she gets older?

catnthehat
11-10-2015, 02:30 PM
More than likely that will stop once it gets older, but if it bothered me, I would discourage it!:thinking-006:
Cat

gumby567
11-10-2015, 02:41 PM
More than likely that will stop once it gets older, but if it bothered me, I would discourage it!:thinking-006:
Cat

Those needle teeth are the worst!

Our Lab pup used to do this all the time, pressing the pad of my thumb to the roof of his mouth to cause a little discomfort with a firm "no" seemed to do the trick.

Then try give her a toy to focus her on something else. Praise her when she plays with the toy instead.

Good Luck with the Pup

fish_e_o
11-10-2015, 02:44 PM
i would put my dogs paw or tail in my hand then when they went for a nibble i'd put the paw/tail in their mouth.

they learn quick that when they bite it hurts

A Sittn Duck
11-10-2015, 02:48 PM
imitate another dog yelping and then walk away/ ignore it. After the puppy clues in that it "hurts" replace the yelp with a loud "ouch". The dog will learn what ouch means and should immediately stop in the future should it get too rugh during play time... worked great for my dog

Og Dumi
11-10-2015, 03:00 PM
imitate another dog yelping and then walk away/ ignore it. After the puppy clues in that it "hurts" replace the yelp with a loud "ouch". The dog will learn what ouch means and should immediately stop in the future should it get too rugh during play time... worked great for my dog

X2 yup

drake
11-10-2015, 03:04 PM

completly disagree....you are the boss not the puppy. A flick on the nose or a pinch on the ear should cure it pretty fast

Acting like a dog by "yelping" is pathetic

Purple Farmer
11-10-2015, 03:08 PM
i would put my dogs paw or tail in my hand then when they went for a nibble i'd put the paw/tail in their mouth.

they learn quick that when they bite it hurts

This, repetition and repetition.

Nova
11-10-2015, 03:26 PM
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php

EZM
11-10-2015, 03:33 PM
completly disagree....you are the boss not the puppy. A flick on the nose or a pinch on the ear should cure it pretty fast

Acting like a dog by "yelping" is pathetic

Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then kick it around a little bit to show her who's the man !!!!!!

:)

Kim473
11-10-2015, 03:44 PM

X2

We just said ouch from the beginning. They learn that fast. It's good when they are playing and get too aggresive too. Good for later on when they are playing with kids and the mistaken nibble and a kid says ouch. They back off emediatly.

Pudelpointer
11-10-2015, 04:29 PM
I use a different approach then others here. I just stick my fingers way back in the pups throat until they gag: dog doesn't feel punished, they just associate biting with an unpleasant experience. Besides the slimy fingers, it has worked well for me.

tri777
11-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Put some lemon juice on your fingers when pup
comes running..then vinegar if that don't work..

alacringa
11-10-2015, 06:16 PM
When Schaffer was at this stage, I would pinch his lip between my hand and his teeth. The pain is only for an instant (the dog quickly releases) and the dog learns quickly.

rugatika
11-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Worked great for both my pups when they were pups.

Hydro1
11-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Just say nope, then walk away or otherwise get it through to the pup playtime is over if he bites... Or.

Lots of "trainers" encourage you to yelp.
Not the way I do things and I have gotten by just fine.
Some of the more mouthy pups have me carrying around a tug or chew toy. They get mouthy, shove the tug in their mouth and praise when they chew on that instead.

Easiest method to curb mouthiness Imo is redirection.

Chungo
11-10-2015, 07:17 PM
The best luck I've had is using your hand and fingers as though you are the mom/alpha and a quick nip back and a stern "NO" will do the trick and soon enough the "NO" is all that is required. Consistency is key with everyone your pup is socializing with and no matter what method (I've used ones mentioned above with success) is used so your pup learns its limits. Personality and different breeds can dictate what works and what doesn't so don't be afraid to try a few different methods and when one seems to work stick with it.

Rancid Crabtree
11-10-2015, 09:29 PM
He's playing with you like a littermate.
I don't want my working (herding) dogs thinking we are playmates. I'm the boss and we become friends as you earn my trust.
I'd handle as his mother would - eye contact followed by a low growl and if needed a firm grip of the scruff of the neck.
As soon as he stops then you release pressure and pet him, walk away with him. Soon he will know better.

grouse_hunter
11-10-2015, 10:34 PM
I use a different approach then others here. I just stick my fingers way back in the pups throat until they gag: dog doesn't feel punished, they just associate biting with an unpleasant experience. Besides the slimy fingers, it has worked well for me.

My exact approach with the pups. Worked like a charm.

fordtruckin
11-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Put a bit of Tabasco sauce on your hand and then let them nibble, they'll learn quick.

Red Bullets
11-10-2015, 10:55 PM
It is obvious you need a dog psychologist but the pup has to want to change. :sHa_sarcasticlol: :sHa_shakeshout:

Kim473
11-11-2015, 05:44 AM
Put a bit of Tabasco sauce on your hand and then let them nibble, they'll learn quick.

Then rub your eyes.

58thecat
11-11-2015, 05:49 AM
It is normal, keep her busy with chew toys, they eat, play, sleep and poop lots:)

recce43
11-11-2015, 07:42 AM
I say ouch and a stern no . if she doesn't stop I put her in her back and kneel over and say no sternly. show that iam dominant one

raab
11-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Pinch her jowls into her teeth and say no. Then redirect her to a toy. After a bit try just using the no command, if she responds give her a treat to positively reinforce it. It should also soften up her bite.

Redfrog
11-11-2015, 02:15 PM
He's playing with you like a littermate.
I don't want my working (herding) dogs thinking we are playmates. I'm the boss and we become friends as you earn my trust.
I'd handle as his mother would - eye contact followed by a low growl and if needed a firm grip of the scruff of the neck.
As soon as he stops then you release pressure and pet him, walk away with him. Soon he will know better.

The first steep to fixing antisocial behaviour is to get the pup to admit he has a problem.:thinking-006:

A shock collar will also deter this kind of behaviour.:budo:

Or you could do what Rancid and the pups mother does to discipline the pup.

It isn't complicated and won't require therapy or a couch. Pups interacting in a litter or with a parent are disciplined very quickly when their actions are deemed inappropriate, A growl or nip or scruff shake is administered quickly and the lesson is learned quickly.

I don't bite my dog, but i will give him a "touch' or nip and a growl.