PDA

View Full Version : Need an honest opinion on the ion ice auger

brohymn2
11-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Thinking bout getting one but still unsure. Usually only drill maybe 10 to 20 holes a day when fishing. Most the reviews I've read have been from the states where it doesn't hurt to breath when it gets really cold.

Thanks

bwackwabbit
11-14-2015, 11:39 AM
3 seasons with mine (upgraded to the model w/reverse after season 2) and I never regret it.

I drill up to 20 holes a trip and have never had issues until I moved to the 10" flight.

The 10" does reduce battery life a bit. 18 holes in 3' of ice per charge is the real life limit in my experience. Well worth the sacrifice for lightweight, quiet, quick, fume and spill free drilling.

I have acquired a nice permanent shack for this season and I am glad to have this auger for those same reasons.

spurly
11-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Very happy with my Ion, This will be the second full season, I drill up to 30 holes a day, and no longer fish past -15 or so. No issues with battery life so far. It is much lighter, and quieter than my Jiffy gas, which I have since sold.
I think it is a great auger.mine is the 8" cut. No reverse. Very happy so far.

Grayling
11-14-2015, 12:52 PM
I used mine all last year and was impressed every time I went out !!

It is so lightweight and it runs silent. All you hear is the blades cutting the ice. You will not be disappointed !

You press the trigger and it takes a second to activate and then it just comes to life and your hole is drilled in a split second.

I love mine !

Also I tried to drain mine down last year and got tired of cutting holes and it still was going strong. Ice was about 2 feet thick !!

PerchBuster
11-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Hi guys, How much does it weigh then with an 8" auger and how much does it cost for a replacement battery come time to have to replace it?

jeffrey929
11-14-2015, 03:04 PM
22 pounds and right around $200 for a replacement battery. The manual claims that you will get 700 charges out of the battery

CanadianBadass
11-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Gas ftw

cube
11-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Hi guys, How much does it weigh then with an 8" auger and how much does it cost for a replacement battery come time to have to replace it?

Should weigh 22 pounds
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=28669

Replacement batteries are $219.00 if you can find them. They can be difficult to get at times.
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=27818

So about 50 years worth of gas for the price of the battery.

CanadianBadass
11-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Should weigh 22 pounds

Replacement batteries are $219.00 if you can find them. They can be difficult to get at times.

I seen some replacement batteries for these in the CT on the westend !

bloom
11-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Going on third season with mine. Spend about 30+ days a year on the ice, but only drill anywhere from 2-10 holes a trip. Never an issue and would buy again.

I keep battery in my tent when I'm fishing.

huntsfurfish
11-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Should weigh 22 pounds

Yup but no gas to worry about.:sHa_shakeshout::)

EZM
11-14-2015, 10:22 PM
If I bought an ION, a 6" or 8" model, I wonder if the eskimo quick coupler would work so I could use my 10" eskimo flight on the occasions where I hunt lakers or big pike.

Has anyone tried fitting it up? I am curious.

I like the idea of no gas/oil.

AdverseCity
11-15-2015, 05:59 AM
Another happy Ion user here. I bought the new model with reverse last year and just bought the 10" flight a couple weeks ago. I expect it to be slower and drain the battery quicker drilling a bigger hole but should still be fine for my style of fishing. Check out some video reviews on YouTube if you're still undecided but I think you'll be happy with it.

brohymn2
11-15-2015, 08:18 AM
Thanks guys

TROLLER
11-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I looked at getting one last winter because of the weight. Then I found the Strikmaster with the Honda motor was 23 lbs.

Made my decision easy for 1 pound more weight I went with the Strikemaster

Price was a bit more but if you get it without the Honda it is very comparable in price to the Ion.

cube
11-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Yup but no gas to worry about.:sHa_shakeshout::)

Yes very true, and for those that have permanent shacks out on the ice the electrics are the way to go. No fumes when reopening holes.

Of course if you are heading out someplace along way from a major center getting a replacement battery if yours conks out ,or you happen to forget it, might be a large pain while I'm pretty sure you can get gas just about anywhere.

Like most things in life the Electrics have a few advantages and a few disadvantages.

brohymn2
11-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the advice guys picked one up on sale at canadian tire today

fishunter77
11-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Bought a 8" last year. Battery is good for 30-40 holes in 2.5 feet of ice. If you drill more, bring an inverter to charge it up in the vehicle. Also keep my battery inside the cab. The fishing hole met all advertised prices.

Got one with reverse and love it. Nice and light, No complaints well worth the money. No mixing, no fumes, no flimsy plastics that may break in the cold.

I was at Ab beach last winter looking for some nice whites and let a few other fisherman try it out. They were all impressed.

brohymn2
11-21-2015, 05:53 AM
Bought a 8" last year. Battery is good for 30-40 holes in 2.5 feet of ice. If you drill more, bring an inverter to charge it up in the vehicle. Also keep my battery inside the cab. The fishing hole met all advertised prices.

Got one with reverse and love it. Nice and light, No complaints well worth the money. No mixing, no fumes, no flimsy plastics that may break in the cold.

I was at Ab beach last winter looking for some nice whites and let a few other fisherman try it out. They were all impressed.
Thanks man still a little bit worried about battery life. Might pick up a second battery today if I can find out. Most likely won't need it but I like to overdo stuff

martinnordegg
11-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Don't even hestitate. GO GET ONE!! Might want to wait for the Christmas and Boxing day sale. Best piece of ice fishing equipment I have bought. The Jiffy is hanging retired in the shop.

I haven't bought an extra battery and we usually go out in a group of five or six. I drill all the holes for the group with the Ion. Neverhave run out of battery power.

jeffrey929
11-21-2015, 07:47 AM
Right now they are $549 at Canadian Tire.... I doubt you will find them cheaper than that ever

THEREAPER
11-21-2015, 07:53 AM
There awesome, but if your using it outside in -25 batteries seem to not last as long, just buy a second battery and the ion battery bag which holds two batteries and a spot to put hand warmers in.
PRO's super light, no fuels or fumes in your hut which is a nice touch! Also buy the 10" if you have the cash!!

Cheers

StillHunter1
11-21-2015, 09:44 AM
I used the Ion for two seasons for work where constant drilling was neccessary. I found that at temperatures colder than -10 it really began to struggle in terms of battery life. If ice is thin (less than 2 feet) and you only plan to drill 10-20 holes per trip go for it. For someone like me who drills countless holes and hole hops constantly it's a definite no-go.

brohymn2
11-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Got a second battery today. Now if it would only get cold

cube
11-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Got a second battery today. Now if it would only get cold

Have a great season, when ever it starts.

brohymn2
11-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Have a great season, when ever it starts.
You too man

brohymn2
11-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Picked up a 10 " flight today and the battery bag. Man this wait is killing me. Might go drill a few.holes at the pond down the road.for.fun

Legend Boats
12-02-2015, 10:33 AM
I bit the bullet and bought one last season for two reasons, weight and quietness. My opionion? LOVE it. I spend nearly every night on the ice and all day when the time off prevails. My 8" Ion was used in temps from -5 right down to -50 in the dead of January without any issues. I did keep my battery in the hut when not in use, and I'd probably drill an average of 15 holes a day. I've used a 10" and did see a bit of a decrease in battery capacity, however you're moving a LOT of ice. My best suggestion is if you prefer augering the larger holes, stick to a gas auger, however if you can manage with up to 8", trust the reviews you're reading, the Ion is worth it!
Cheers Becky - Legend Boats