PDA

View Full Version : propane augers whos got one and likes it?

brohymn2
11-15-2015, 07:47 PM
was pretty set on the ion but after talking to the guy at the fishin holeand doing some more thinking I think I might go with a propane auger, I realize they are super heavy in comparison to the ion but to me that is a moot point, im young and have a strong back and a weak mind. all of my fishing is either with a tent or out moving around a lot and im a bit worried about draining the battery on the ion if I were to drill an assload of holes. thanks for the advice guys

bwackwabbit
11-15-2015, 08:11 PM
I had a jiffy propane for 3 weeks when the hose went and they wouldn't replace it under warranty.

Eskimo now has a propane so if you are dead set against a great auger in the Ion then I'd look at them.

WayneChristie
11-15-2015, 08:17 PM
other than some cheap plastic parts like the throttle handle. the Jiffy 10 inch is great. Id keep the propane bottle in the tent or shack if it was more than minus 20ish but they start right away and have lots of power . still need sharp blades though. Ive also ran out of propane and ran it off my bulk tank with a hose.

TROLLER
11-16-2015, 10:05 AM
I had one and it was just too damn heavy for me.

Went to the lightest, Strikemaster.

kinwahkly
11-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Hard a Jiffy but Sent it back. Got an Eskimo and am happy so far.

lund17
11-16-2015, 03:29 PM
was pretty set on the ion but after talking to the guy at the fishin holeand doing some more thinking I think I might go with a propane auger, I realize they are super heavy in comparison to the ion but to me that is a moot point, im young and have a strong back and a weak mind. all of my fishing is either with a tent or out moving around a lot and im a bit worried about draining the battery on the ion if I were to drill an assload of holes. thanks for the advice guys

how many holes are you thinking of drilling in a day? lots of videos online of guys drilling holes 80 to 100 holes to see how well batteries stand up. I might drill half that on a good day.

I bought an ION last year and love it. All my buddies love using it too. The only problem is you need to keep the battery out of the direct cold. So after I am done drilling holes, I have to take it off and put in on my dash of the truck or inside pocket of my coat. I have forgotten to do that once, and all I did was warmed it up in the truck and it was good again.

Stubb
11-16-2015, 03:29 PM
I've never run out of battery power with the Ion but I would never drill more than 20 holes in a day. An extra battery is $200 if need be. The weight savings is key for me.

neilsledder
11-16-2015, 05:32 PM
You guys drill lots of holes lol. I only drill 4-6 a day lol

WayneChristie
11-16-2015, 06:40 PM
You guys drill lots of holes lol. I only drill 4-6 a day lol

all you need if you pick the right spot. once my shack is out I usually just reopen the holes and maybe put out a tipup. I get my exercise reeling in fish not chasing them around the lake :bad_boys_20:

calgarygringo
11-16-2015, 07:12 PM
Did you ever get it officially fixed or just the hillbilly fix?

other than some cheap plastic parts like the throttle handle. the Jiffy 10 inch is great. Id keep the propane bottle in the tent or shack if it was more than minus 20ish but they start right away and have lots of power . still need sharp blades though. Ive also ran out of propane and ran it off my bulk tank with a hose.

WayneChristie
11-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Did you ever get it officially fixed or just the hillbilly fix?

I got it fixed. also again after it ate the ties off my hoodie, fortunately it just ripped them out and didnt take my head with it :)

Blastoff
11-16-2015, 08:51 PM
I didn't go with a Jiffy, I bought a Husqvarna, The jiffy got that cheap plastic and breaks. Love my mine its pretty light

rena0040
11-16-2015, 09:00 PM
All this talk of keeping bottle and batteries warm etc makes me wonder whats wrong with a good old gas motor? I mix a 5l can of fuel beginning of the season add seafoam and it lasts till spring

bwackwabbit
11-16-2015, 09:02 PM
All this talk of keeping bottle and batteries warm etc makes me wonder whats wrong with a good old gas motor? I mix a 5l can of fuel beginning of the season add seafoam and it lasts till spring
Great in a truck/portable shack

Not so great in an SUV/Permanent Shack...

TROLLER
11-17-2015, 10:19 AM

I don't even need to mix anymore. Got a 4 stroke and no big deal to put some gas in it.

Kim473
11-17-2015, 10:29 AM

X2

Have left over that I use for the chain saw. Drill probably over 500 holes a season.

4x4bowhunter
11-20-2015, 02:24 PM
I have an Eskimo 10" propane auger. Used it all last season and never even changed a bottle. No idea how many holes I drilled but I went out at least 15 times. I absolutely love it. I don't find it too heavy. I fired it up last weekend just to make sure and it started on the second pull. Still on the same bottle.