PDA

View Full Version : Annual Ice Conditions Sticky?

drhu22
11-16-2015, 05:43 PM
Everyones itching/impatient to get on the ice every year, so I thought it would be a good idea for a permanent thread. Just updates on ice safety (especially dangerous situations) wherever you happen to go...

Skoaltender
11-16-2015, 05:45 PM
I'm all for it!

drhu22
11-16-2015, 05:52 PM
It seems reasonable to me... maybe we could prevent one of these...
http://i0.wp.com/static.bangordailynews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/1235082798_ce3d-1024x768.jpg?strip=all

WayneChristie
11-16-2015, 06:49 PM
conditions change too often and people get careless if they read something instead of being intelligent and checking for themselves. this topic comes up every year at this time.

drhu22
11-16-2015, 06:52 PM
conditions change too often and people get careless if they read something instead of being intelligent and checking for themselves. this topic comes up every year at this time.

They could always look at the date of the post, as well as keeping an eye on weather forecasts/conditions, and act accordingly.

PS: So hows the fishing this year?

WayneChristie
11-16-2015, 06:55 PM
ice can change from area to area, within feet. its a liabilty issue as much as anything. someone posts Newell is 3 feet thick and someone drives on 20 feet away and goes through a gas pocket. whose fault? we all need to check for ourselves. only takes a minute to drill a hole and may save your life. Ive watched pressure ridges come up 3 feet in a matter of hours, someone reads a post the ice is safe at 3 pm and decides to drive on at 7 after dark and hits the ridge and drowns. whose fault?

drhu22
11-16-2015, 07:04 PM
ice can change from area to area, within feet. its a liabilty issue as much as anything. someone posts Newell is 3 feet thick and someone drives on 20 feet away and goes through a gas pocket. whose fault? we all need to check for ourselves. only takes a minute to drill a hole and may save your life. Ive watched pressure ridges come up 3 feet in a matter of hours, someone reads a post the ice is safe at 3 pm and decides to drive on at 7 after dark and hits the ridge and drowns. whose fault?

Then, if you know of such areas where ice is fast changing or dangerous post it. Lots of areas arent like that, and freeze/thaw quite uniformly, but its good to know the ones that are.

AdverseCity
11-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Maybe a thread specifically for posting dangerous ice conditions and problem areas. No posts saying it's safe or ice thickness, just warning everyone of bad or deteriorating ice.

drhu22
11-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Maybe a thread specifically for posting dangerous ice conditions and problem areas. No posts saying it's safe or ice thickness, just warning everyone of bad or deteriorating ice.

Works for me, though i dont see a problem with reporting ice thickness/condition of ice.

Crankbait
11-16-2015, 08:22 PM
are we going to see ice this year? almost serious question in the southern province; http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/calgary/t2g/november-weather/52479

SNAPFisher
11-16-2015, 08:53 PM
are we going to see ice this year? almost serious question in the southern province; http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/calgary/t2g/november-weather/52479

Woah, if those predictions are accurate, its going to be into December for sure. It'll come. It always does.

Central and North is looking good for the next 2 weeks with 90% of the temps under zero. I'll bet I'll make opening weekend for Sylvan or Gull. Hoping for 8-10 inches on Gull by then. Any bets, takers :)

1bluZebec
11-17-2015, 08:54 AM
We will be good to go I think, worst comes to worse I'll be walking on?

1bluZebec
11-17-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm going to do some looking this weekend and see how things are progressing in west

Kim473
11-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Woah, if those predictions are accurate, its going to be into December for sure. It'll come. It always does.

Central and North is looking good for the next 2 weeks with 90% of the temps under zero. I'll bet I'll make opening weekend for Sylvan or Gull. Hoping for 8-10 inches on Gull by then. Any bets, takers :)

Good luck with that.
Just a skim along the shore line east of Ed. Tiny ponds have a skim on them. It better hit minus double digets and no sun for a week or two before you will be able to walk on the lakes. Was not that long ago and xmas had no snow and highs were above zero, one year. No snow till Jan.

Forecast for Ed. tomorrow is high of -5 :sHa_shakeshout:

Gotta get me a 16" Perch before xmas this year. And a buddy needs some whites for his new home built smoker.

SNAPFisher
11-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Good luck with that.
Just a skim along the shore line east of Ed. Tiny ponds have a skim on them. It better hit minus double digets and no sun for a week or two before you will be able to walk on the lakes. Was not that long ago and xmas had no snow and highs were above zero, one year. No snow till Jan.

Forecast for Ed. tomorrow is high of -5 :sHa_shakeshout:

Gotta get me a 16" Perch before xmas this year. And a buddy needs some whites for his new home built smoker.

So I'm betting an average of 9 inches on Gull on 12-Dec. What do you want to bet? And no, saying "Ill bet you fall through..." is not what I mean by bet :)

Come on cold!

Kim473
11-18-2015, 09:11 AM
So I'm betting an average of 9 inches on Gull on 12-Dec. What do you want to bet? And no, saying "Ill bet you fall through..." is not what I mean by bet :)

Come on cold!

No bets, just saying it has to hit minus double digets for a week or two. 9" seems a bit much though in a 3 week time frame. Might be 4" - 6"

huntsfurfish
11-18-2015, 11:08 AM

I agree with Wayne.

marty1
11-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Ice is sketchy at the best of times, I have seen trucks go through 30" of ice.Two years ago fishing clear Lake we were sitting on 16" of ice moved after a few hours to a new spot and by the end of the day we returned to the first spot and where we were sitting earlier that day was water she opened 20' wide and went right across the lake.Everyone use some common sense and we will all have a great ice fishing season. Don't leave home without your safety kit.cheers

kevinhits
11-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Come on cold!

You are very hopefull...9" by December 12...:)

1bluZebec
11-18-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking your damn close at 9". I'll say around 8" I'm also alittle biased as I wanna be out there like the rest of you hardcores? I'll be walking on most likely anyway. Don't need to go to far to be successfull

Zip-in-Z
11-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Forecast is +2C here on the weekend, the boat launch may still be accessible on opening day.

SNAPFisher
11-18-2015, 06:03 PM
No bets, just saying it has to hit minus double digets for a week or two. 9" seems a bit much though in a 3 week time frame. Might be 4" - 6"

Double digit lows for the rest of the week. Long term forecast is predicting nothing above double digits mid next week, and, nothing above freezing, other than a little blip this weekend, for 2 weeks.

9 inches on average is a given on Gull. All bets will be taken... :sHa_shakeshout:

SNAPFisher
11-18-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking your damn close at 9". I'll say around 8" I'm also alittle biased as I wanna be out there like the rest of you hardcores? I'll be walking on most likely anyway. Don't need to go to far to be successfull

I like the way u think :)

So far on predictions:

9 inches - SNAPFisher
8 inches - 1BluZebec
5 inches - Kim473 (just took down the middle between 4-6)
0 inches - Zip :)

This for 12-Dec.

kevinhits
11-18-2015, 06:25 PM

So far on predictions:

9 inches - SNAPFisher
8 inches - 1BluZebec

This for 12-Dec.

3.5 inches...Kevinhits:)

Zip-in-Z
11-18-2015, 08:07 PM

So far on predictions:

9 inches - SNAPFisher
8 inches - 1BluZebec

This for 12-Dec.

3.5 inches...Kevinhits:)

Fellas if you recall my 2015 Sylvan Lake Pre-Season Report, posted on Dec 09th with lots of pics that started down RR23 where there was only 7" ice that looked like large frozen blocks .

You're predictions are a bit optimistic considering we have approx. 3 weeks to Opening Day.

Z-z

Take this afternoon

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1030618_zpsfzcwlqtx.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/ZIP-IN-Z/P1030613_zpsoon6mxpk.jpg

yoteblaster
11-18-2015, 08:11 PM
8.4 inches dec12. I will go out earlier and drill some holes with cordless drill first week in Dec and post results

SNAPFisher
11-18-2015, 08:39 PM
So far on predictions:

9.0 inches - SNAPFisher
8.5 inches - yoteblaster
8.0 inches - 1BluZebec
5.0 inches - Kim473 (just took down the middle between 4-6)
3.5 inches - Kevinhits
0.0 inches - Zip-n-Z

This for 12-Dec.

yoteblaster, I rounded to the nearest .5 inch. Let's not get too crazy. :)

Zip, those pics are doctored...you just didn't want anyone to know you are already ice fishing on Sylvan :fighting0030: (joke of course)

Zip-in-Z
11-18-2015, 09:12 PM
So far on predictions:

9.0 inches - SNAPFisher
8.5 inches - yoteblaster
8.0 inches - 1BluZebec
5.0 inches - Kim473 (just took down the middle between 4-6)
3.5 inches - Kevinhits
0.0 inches - Zip-n-Z

This for 12-Dec.

yoteblaster, I rounded to the nearest .5 inch. Let's not get too crazy. :)

Zip, those pics are doctored...you just didn't want anyone to know you are already ice fishing on Sylvan :fighting0030: (joke of course)

Snap ... you got me, I'm sharpening my hooks, getting my floater suit ready for a weekend (Trout fishin) adventure with Bwackwabbit ... will post accordingly.

drhu22
11-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Thread was supposed to be about ice condition reports and tips, but have your fun.

anthony5
11-18-2015, 09:19 PM
If the forecast is right I will be fishing the bay's of Travers by the end of November😬. Be safe guys and have fun on the new ice.