PDA

View Full Version : Best Ice Fishing Tub towed behind Snowmobile

Mangosteen
11-19-2015, 06:04 PM
Looking for opinions on where and which model of ice fishing tub to buy. Will tow behind snow machine when ice fishing. Want something built that is not flimsy.
Can shop either Edmonton of Cowtown. No differences to me.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RavYak
11-19-2015, 06:43 PM
I have an otter sled which I know is a well respected brand. I don't use it behind a snowmobile but it is a very solid sled and I am sure it would work good behind a sled if you got the hitch to go with it.

PerchBuster
11-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Looking for opinions on where and which model of ice fishing tub to buy. Will tow behind snow machine when ice fishing. Want something built that is not flimsy.
Can shop either Edmonton of Cowtown. No differences to me.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6 ft long "Calf sled". Hitch already attached ready to go. Peavey Mart or UFA. Heavy duty plastic built to last. You can probably find hyfax runners or something to attach to the bottom as well but I didn't and the wear is minimal, plastic is thick and lasts a long time. Lots of space but seems impossible to find a cover. Might have to make one from a tarp. 2 of them can fit side by side in a 6'6" truck box.

SNAPFisher
11-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Hands down, this one:

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/Sled_-_Trapper__w_Hitch__24_H_x_24_W_x_76_L/i_1_0_/_ACSLEDTRAPPER

Hardtop so you don't have to mess around with those flimsy covers like an otter. I've had mine going on 7 seasons now. Tons of room and tough. Pulls behind a skidoo like a dream.

If you don't like any buddies wrapping their arms around on the skidoo, there is a musher upgrade so they can stand on the back of the sled :)

RoosterRed
11-19-2015, 07:20 PM
I've owned one of my otter sled for more then a decade. Used and abused. Use to pull it behind my trike with a bunch of friends in it, up hill, gravel roads and everything in between. Last year I finally put some hyfax on just so it pulled nicer by hand. Have owned a Eskimo tub sled before and cracked it the first time on the ice. Replaced the Eskimo with another Otter sled. I pull two sled behind my sxs all winter long. Last year I put on approx 400 miles on the ice with the sleds in tow.

Boogerfart
11-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Has anyone here ever tried building there own? I've been debating building one, a buddy of mine that grew up in the NWT said most of the sleds or sleighs they had when he was younger were all homemade. I was actually thinking of starting a thread on it when I noticed this one.
•Please don't take this as a attempted derail, I only hope to expand the conversation.

kreator
11-19-2015, 10:10 PM
I have the big one from Cabelas. Wide, deep, lots of room. Had to make a custom hitch for it, though.

bobalong
11-19-2015, 10:52 PM
I have an Otter II sled that I have been using for a couple of years now, seems to be holding up pretty good. Pulled the grandkids around in it a bit as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Ice%20Fishing/IMG_2802_zpsc8ce576a.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bobalong/media/Ice%20Fishing/IMG_2802_zpsc8ce576a.jpg.html)

Added some brackets and tie downs for coyote hunting.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Hunting/IMG_3209_zpsab296faf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bobalong/media/Hunting/IMG_3209_zpsab296faf.jpg.html)

CMichaud
11-19-2015, 11:13 PM
CanadianTire has Pelican Snow Track 75 with runners coming on sale Nov 20

139.99 marked down from 199.

ATV hitch assembly and cover can be purchased as well

neilsledder
11-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Just a tip if you get one of those plastic tub ones or any of them, put a "mud flap" or "deflector shield" on the hitch the hole length. That way it stops the track on your sled from throwing snow into it.

TROLLER
11-20-2015, 09:45 AM
6ft. otter been pulling behind my atv for going on 10 yrs.

SNAPFisher
11-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Just a tip if you get one of those plastic tub ones or any of them, put a "mud flap" or "deflector shield" on the hitch the hole length. That way it stops the track on your sled from throwing snow into it.

Yep. The link I posted above comes with that. It is flexible so you fold it right over and it is dry inside.

Mad_On_Fishing
11-22-2015, 10:01 AM
costco pellican sleds come with everything you would need for i think 120 and they are sturdy as all hell

lromanchuk
11-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Halfords Hide and Leather.

Best quality for sure.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/items/items-5-S1-lV1T-lV2T-SNOWOUTD-lV3T-SLED-lV4T-SLEDPULL-lV5T-SLEDPULL.aspx?store=

I have the Trapper 2 and it's fantastic.

lromanchuk
11-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Has anyone here ever tried building there own? I've been debating building one, a buddy of mine that grew up in the NWT said most of the sleds or sleighs they had when he was younger were all homemade. I was actually thinking of starting a thread on it when I noticed this one.
•Please don't take this as a attempted derail, I only hope to expand the conversation.

I attempted to build my own and it didn't turn out very well. Ended up being too heavy. Built the base out of plywood and welded a hitch together. Unless snow conditions were prefect the skidoo would just spin. Not ideal.

Tracker2 from Halfords was unreal.

Mangosteen
11-24-2015, 05:32 AM
I ended up picking up the Medium pro Otter for 142 dollars at Bass Pro along with the perfectly fitting Clam hitch. This size fits well in the back of the SUV if needed and it will be a tandem system I will be towing with the Frabil two seater sled behind it.

I did stop by the UFA to first see the calf sleds but the smaller ones had no hitch options.

The Halford sled looks really good but it's very costly and your stuck with a lid. Good for many I suppose but two feet high and not a seemingly wide footprint. Good for trapping lines for sure and protecting your gear on long journeys into remote lakes with the snow machine.

Speaking of snow machines the normal non mountain ones are getting rare. All you see in the dealers in both Edmonton and Calgarysre mountain aggressive machines. Not so much for trail riding and ice fishing. I am not the mountain riding type except for dirt biking and motocross bikes.

Kaz Dog
11-24-2015, 09:12 AM
I have an Otter Magnum, with a fitted Otter cover, and hitch/tow bar (with an installed snow deflector by me). Tows excellent everywhere I take it.

One thing I learned after purchasing my first toboggan/tub for behind my sled, purchase one as wide as possible. My first was narrow, and tipped over at high speed and on curves. I have never tipped my Otter Magnum.

JRuel
11-24-2015, 10:20 AM
costco pellican sleds come with everything you would need for i think 120 and they are sturdy as all hell

Just bought one of these Sunday. 157 bucks including hitch and cover. Can't go wrong!

Mike_W
11-24-2015, 10:54 AM
I have the otter magnum and hitch but even with the cover it gets a lot of snow on top....I think snapfisher is onto something

Mangosteen
11-25-2015, 06:28 AM
The Halford model being only 24 inches wide and 24 inches tall seemed to me to be at risk for stability. Now if they made it 32 or 36 inches wide that would be very fine. For now will live with the cheap Otter and will store the snow sensitive stuff in the Frabill hold which will travel behind the Otter. Stuff like the ice auger and propane bottle. Also all the fish on the way back to shore!!

SNAPFisher
11-25-2015, 06:38 AM
The Halford model being only 24 inches wide and 24 inches tall seemed to me to be at risk for stability. Now if they made it 32 or 36 inches wide that would be very fine. For now will live with the cheap Otter and will store the snow sensitive stuff in the Frabill hold which will travel behind the Otter. Stuff like the ice auger and propane bottle. Also all the fish on the way back to shore!!

Stability is not an issue. Comes with a spring loaded tow bar. Tougher than nails. I never installed any runners underneath and have pulled it around across some of the worst ice conditions for 8 years. Looking forwards to season 9, good luck with your otter though :)