PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing/winter camping

blwhunter
11-21-2015, 08:31 PM
We are looking for some info on where would be a good lake to go for a winter camping/ice fishing trip. This would be the first trip of what i would expect to become a yearly tradition. Ideally we would like to have the wall tent set up on the shore or at least within walking distance to where we could set up and fish for a weekend. We live in the Red Deer area but are willing to travel a few hours. We would be able to pack our gear in with atvs if need be. We are not picky when it comes to what type of fish we are going after so any advise/info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Brandon5555
11-22-2015, 02:38 AM
Gull!

pikehunter1989
11-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Why set up on shore? Set up right where your fishing and keep lines in all night... As for a lake... I'd say gull for in that area

the pilot cock
11-24-2015, 06:41 PM
I did my first overnight on the ice last winter and it was incredible. Don't camp on shore, stay on the ice. Gull would be perfect. Leave your lines down while you sleep and you'll have burbot popping in for a visit. I kept the bells on my line thinking they would wake me up... not to be outdone, Thorne rigged up a rape whistle. One good tug and it scared the hell out of us. Definitely woke up for that one!

Game Hunter
11-24-2015, 07:25 PM
What are you guys using? Cotts with good sleeping bags, big buddy heater in with fresh air vents?
Ide like to try this winter

the pilot cock
11-24-2015, 07:31 PM
This year I'll be in an outfitter tent with a wood stove up on a platform I'm building. Sleeping on a cot in a big warm sleeping bag. Last year I was right on the ice with the big buddy heater in a different tent. If you're using a propane heater, what I do is run an extension cord off my power inverter in the truck (I don't have a generator). I plug a carbon monoxide detector into the cord. I've never had a dangerous amount of carbon monoxide accumulate but I definitely sleep better knowing that if something goes wrong it will wake me up while I still can...

cube
11-25-2015, 08:30 AM
We are looking for some info on where would be a good lake to go for a winter camping/ice fishing trip. This would be the first trip of what i would expect to become a yearly tradition. Ideally we would like to have the wall tent set up on the shore or at least within walking distance to where we could set up and fish for a weekend. We live in the Red Deer area but are willing to travel a few hours. We would be able to pack our gear in with atvs if need be. We are not picky when it comes to what type of fish we are going after so any advise/info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I always thought that Jarvis or Fickle lake would be nice for winter camping. If the Campground is not open you can always camp on the lake. Perhaps you could also ask Speckle55 for some help with the white fish there.

Good luck