PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Flasher in Shallow Water

Pike fisher
11-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Started fishing whites last winter and did OK considering I started the year knowing next to nothing about how to catch them. I was fishing shallow (3-7 FOW) in a location where the water was quite murky/milky, so my camera was useless...plus I have heard that they are a little camera shy.

I have the OK to invest in a flasher, but I am wondering how useful it will be in shallow water. I have never fished with one before, but would like some advice on which one to buy, how shallow is too shallow for a flasher to be helpful, etc.

Thanks

Lund rebel
11-21-2015, 10:16 PM
It was odd using my flasher last winter for whites I was in 4 fow but I wasn't in a tent so couldn't sight fish for them. The flasher let me know they were there and when whey wernt didn't do much for locating in the water colour depth wise. But I knew they came looked and didn't like so they left a quick change and I hooked up

Wes_G
11-21-2015, 10:44 PM
I am not sure about any of the higher end models but the Marcum VX-1 Pro that I use doesn't seem to mark much in the 1-3' range. Anything deeper then 3' though it marks.

RavYak
11-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Most dedicated flashers are a 20 degree wide beam cone angle.

In say 5 ft of water you will only be looking at less then 1 ft in each direction. You will pick up fish that swim right up to your lure but if they are hitting hard you won't get a ton of notice.

You can determine your bottom radius by the following formula. Radius = Depth*tan(Cone Angle/2).

A flasher is definitely a worthwhile investment if you enjoy ice fishing. Cameras are nice too but you can do a lot with a flasher you can't with a camera.

Kim473
11-22-2015, 06:55 AM
I find a flasher not good in under 6 fow. Should be able to lay on the ice and sight fish at that depth in most lakes.

Mad_On_Fishing
11-22-2015, 09:59 AM
i would sudgest the ice 55. used it last year and was phoenominal! but if you buy a sonar, make sure it has the multiple transducer ranges, you would want to you a wide angle when in shallow waters.

deerguy
11-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Pick up an LX5. Can Get them used for $400 - $500.

honker_clonker
11-22-2015, 11:50 AM
From my experience using flashers in shallow water (<6 feet) they give you that split second of a heads up before a fish hits turning it from a reactionary hook set to an anticipated one which usually means more fish landed. And as mentioned above you can tell if you are getting rejected or not which can help you to find a productive lure instead of jigging unproductively.

Pike fisher
11-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was looking on the Marcum website at the various models - can anyone tell me the difference between the VX-1i and the VX-1P?

Or the difference between the LX-3TCi and the LX-3tc?

RavYak
11-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was looking on the Marcum website at the various models - can anyone tell me the difference between the VX-1i and the VX-1P?

Or the difference between the LX-3TCi and the LX-3tc?

The i is a new thing this year. All I can find distinguishing difference between the old and new models is

"larger display, increased viewing angles with reduced snow buildup"

You will be happy with any of them. The biggest thing to consider is if you will fish for lake trout or other deep water fish. If so and you plan on doing so a fair bit then you will want to consider a dual beam model like the LX-5.

Edit: You can see differences on their website. http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/flasher-ice-systems/?id=10

calgarygringo
11-23-2015, 05:04 AM
To add to this click on the guide at the bottom left and you can see the differences on their comparison charts. Power, separation, battery sizes etc. are the main features at that level.

The i is a new thing this year. All I can find distinguishing difference between the old and new models is

You will be happy with any of them. The biggest thing to consider is if you will fish for lake trout or other deep water fish. If so and you plan on doing so a fair bit then you will want to consider a dual beam model like the LX-5.

Edit: You can see differences on their website. http://www.rapala.com/marcum/fish-finders-sonar/flasher-ice-systems/?id=10

Legend Boats
12-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Check out Marcum or the Hummingbird Ice units. They offer great battery life, compact design and easy to use in the cold. Flasher at shallow depth won’t really do you too much justice in 7ft or less. You can also cover the hole and see right to the bottom. A Flasher is a great investment if you plan on exploring many different lakes this winter.
Cheers Henry-Legend Boats

kinwahkly
12-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Ive got a hummingbird ice 55 and I've fished any where from 1 foot to 100 ft no problems .

Game Hunter
12-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Like others have said if in shallow water you won't mark anything 3 ft or less with the vx1 pro.
I've got that unit and fish lots in 4-6 ft with success marking. It does give you a few seconds heads up at times. Just be careful not to move too quickly and spook the whites. That unit is a good bang for your buck.
I've never fished at cold lake but because of the wider cone angle with no duel transducer you don't have the advantage of narrowing how close the fish is to your hook in deep depths. For that case I've always thought if I mark the fish I would treat it as it was right beside my hook. Some letdowns yes butt you would still land them. At least you have a idea on depths to fish for them.

FishHunterPro
12-22-2015, 06:22 AM

It has a new LED display, very disappointed they never put a digital depth on these new models.

-JR-
12-22-2015, 06:32 AM
Had my LX7 in the water this last weekend in 9ft of water ,cone was set at 20 degrees and only had a 2 ft view ,wish i had 5 ft . Glad I bought it for lakers in 100 ft as it is useless in shallow water.

FishHunterPro
12-22-2015, 06:34 AM
You can't go wrong buying a new flasher, i fished in under 6' of water lots and its fine. I own a marcum lx-5 for many years now and its been a great tool. I've also used my friends marcum lx-3 and it was a very good unit. I just ordered a new vexilar flx-28 and im looking forward to playing with that new toy. From the videos I've seen on youtube the hummingbird flashers look pretty nice too so dont get to hung up on a brand and just find a flasher in the price range you can afford, anyone will be 10x better than fishing without one.

FishHunterPro
12-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Had my LX7 in the water this last weekend in 9ft of water ,cone was set at 20 degrees and only had a 2 ft view ,wish i had 5 ft . Glad I bought it for lakers in 100 ft as it is useless in shallow water.

must be set up wrong, how did that vertical flasher work on that depth?

calgarygringo
12-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Here is a link to flasher viewing areas.
http://s306.photobucket.com/user/servocam/media/Fishing/Flasher_DoC.jpg.html

HoytCRX32
12-22-2015, 09:00 AM
I am not sure about any of the higher end models but the Marcum VX-1 Pro that I use doesn't seem to mark much in the 1-3' range. Anything deeper then 3' though it marks.

That's weird...I have a VX-1 Pro as well and it markes beautifully, even in 1-3

Mike_W
12-22-2015, 09:58 AM
I can't even count the number of whites I have caught fishing with a flasher. I have caught aggressive whites and light biting whites is 4-14 fow.
Once you get use to using a flasher you can "see" what's happening down below. While you cant see the bite you should be able to anticipate the lightest take and set the hook.

I have also used a flasher in shallow water for perch with success. I find that sometimes the shadow of your tent can make fish spooky and more hesitant to bite. also the use of a flasher allows you to hole hop quicker. I also just like not straining my back and neck all day staring down a hole.
When fishing shallow water you want to make sure you get the most out of your cone angle and lower your transducer to the bottom 5" of ice. This gives you the biggest footprint yet no interference from the ice.

Good luck
Mike

huntsfurfish
12-22-2015, 11:58 AM
For shallow water fish just turn camera to view vertical down. Adjust so just about at bottom of hole less visible and no cable to show. Much wider view than fish finder or flasher. No straining the neck or back to see. Need fair to great water clarity though, but even a few feet would be enough in 3 feet of water.

All my regular fish finders read very shallow, not sure why flashers dont.