PDA

View Full Version : Ravyak's 2015/16 Hard Water Species Challenge - Discussion Thread

RavYak
11-22-2015, 10:25 PM
This is the discussion thread for this years hard water challenge.

The challenge will run from December 1st to March 15th. I will post tokens on November 30th so make sure to check in and print your copy off.

Some minor changes this year include removal of Arctic Grayling, Suckers and RMW from the target species. Arctic Grayling because they are considered endangered now and Suckers and RMW because they are not regular hard water targeted species.

I made the minor change to the title because this challenge is not affiliated with Alberta Outdoorsmen and I figured it needs some sort of name to set it apart.

I also got rid of the Alberta Slam Award and renamed the "Ultimate Alberta Angler" award to Longest Total Inches as I feel it took away the recognition from the other awards.

Please remember to use this thread for discussions(or start a new one), the submission thread is only meant for submissions and standing updates.

Thanks and good luck to all that choose to participate. Hopefully we can get some more involvement this winter so let any pals you have know and lets try to get at least 30 members involved this year.

PS: I am still working on a couple signatures from the open water derby and will post those up when I get them all finished.

WayneChristie
11-23-2015, 07:25 AM
I think that since you have elected yourself solo judge and completely taken over this derby you would have to agree in all fairness to disqualify yourself from entering fish in this competition

PlatinumBarMan
11-23-2015, 08:15 AM
I think that since you have elected yourself solo judge and completely taken over this derby you would have to agree in all fairness to disqualify yourself from entering fish in this competition

It's a pretty unbiased derby, the pictures speak for themselves. I'll offer to "judge" Rav's entries so he doesn't need to be disqualified

binnzer32
11-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Good luck to those that enter. Having a full time job and a newborn daughter I am pretty tied up or else I would probably win!! :argue2::argue2: Plus you guys just do length and no girth which for the most part means nothing. Could catch a 44 inch pike that weighs 16 lbs and beat a guys that weighs 25 lbs and is 42 inches. Good luck and I hope to see some new winners this year.

lromanchuk
11-23-2015, 10:18 AM
It's a pretty unbiased derby, the pictures speak for themselves. I'll offer to "judge" Rav's entries so he doesn't need to be disqualified

That's exactly right. If the pictures are submitted following the outlined criteria, then there's no real "judging" going on. Ravyak is putting in all the time and effort to go through every submission and organizing this entire challenge. He defiantly deserves to participate.

Im sorry, when did this become the Ravyak derby? one official judge? count me out, this is supposed to be a fun AO derby not one persons personal derby

It's just a name...As he said, it had to be changed to something not affiliated with Alberta Outdoorsman. You nailed it... it's just for fun. So who cares about the name. He's doing all the work so we can all have a little friendly challenge this winter. If you don't like it, don't participate.

Talking moose
11-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Pretty good of you Rav for taking the time to set things up for some friendly competition for AO members this winter. Never been in any of the competitions and don't plan on it either but think it's a good idea none the less. I too do not see the need for "judges", seems pretty straight forward and self explanatory.

DonTreadOnMe
11-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Long time viewer first time poster here.
So I am assuming AO is stepping away from this derby due to the liability issues associated with open holes in the ice. Am I wrong?? Will Ravyak be liable now? Does he need to post guards at all aerated ponds now In case someone tries to get through and go for a swim??

Also since this is No longer a AO derby where can a guy go to post pics and take part without posting pics on AO, as I assume since they aren't invoked people don't need to be members of this forum to participate...Because we all know how posting pics on here gets a guy nothing but grief.

binnzer32
11-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Rav puts a lot of time and effort into these things. He does a good job. Pipe down Wayne

DiabeticKripple
11-23-2015, 12:18 PM
I think RMW should be on there. I target them all the time.

Dak1138
11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
If he didn't name the tournament after himself I bet Wayne wouldn't have a problem .
Personally I really don't care.

WayneChristie
11-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Rav puts a lot of time and effort into these things. He does a good job. Pipe down Wayne

Really? If he wants to make it "his" derby maybe he should start his own forum. If you dont like my personal opinion thats your problem not mine . This started as a fun derby for AO forum members and now its been hijacked and turned into someones personal contest. So he volunteers his time, doesnt give him the right to change it as he pleases. Enjoy your contest and good luck but dont pass it off as an AO event affiliated or not .

brohymn2
11-23-2015, 12:30 PM
so before this derails savagely and it turns into the general discussion forum can we just get back to fishing, jeez...

RavYak
11-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Really? If he wants to make it "his" derby maybe he should start his own forum. If you dont like my personal opinion thats your problem not mine . This started as a fun derby for AO forum members and now its been hijacked and turned into someones personal contest. So he volunteers his time, doesnt give him the right to change it as he pleases. Enjoy your contest and good luck but dont pass it off as an AO event affiliated or not .

*In official judge voice* SILENCE lol

This derby has never been an "AO event". In fact when I took it over I tried to reference AO and was told not to do so because of potential legal issues.

I cannot reference a derby on AO if it doesn't have a name and I can't reference AO... I am highly original(not) hence the name... Yes perhaps it should have its own website but I am not going to set one up at this point in time(maybe if it gets some more involvement and I can get prizes, legal stuff, sponsors etc figured out to make it into an actual tournament).

Believe me I thought long and hard about discontinuing this derby. Limited involvement, no AO affiliation, not able to offer prizes etc. This derby has a lot going against it and I thought it best to let it die.

But then I was messaged by past participants and potential new participants asking if there was going to be a hard water derby. Some friends said I should keep it going and then I looked back at my pictures from the last couple years and realized most of those pictures were because of these derbies. Without these derbies I wouldn't be half the angler I am now and if these derbies will give other anglers on here the motivation to get out and learn how to catch some more species or bigger fish then that is worth it to me.

Regarding judging, to this point there has never been a need for other judges and the previous judges have not been active. When I have a measurement or entry that is questionable I message the entrant directly and discuss the issue with them and come to an agreed upon conclusion. That said if others such as PlatinumBarMan want to volunteer I will accept 2 volunteers as official judges, I don't expect they will be needed but since I am such a slimy guy maybe they are needed to keep me in line lol.

Wayne, I hope you will compete and in fact I wish you would step out of your comfort zone and go get a couple of these other species you don't normally target.

Binnzer, stop complaining about girth and go get that biggest pike or walleye lol. Largest pike or walleye in this derby is a big achievement, you don't need to get all the species and if someone beats you with a long skinny fish you and most of us will still know who caught the most impressive one.

DiabeticKripple, no RMW's were submitted last winter and I want to stick with the more accessible and targeted species at least this year. If this derby continues in future years I will look at adding them back in.

Hopefully that answers everyones questions and we can get these politics behind us and focus on having a good time and catching some nice fish...

DonTreadOnMe
11-23-2015, 02:10 PM
So once again I ask where else can a person enter into this contest?? Since it has nothing to do with AO.
I Know a few people that want nothing to do with AO and will not post pics to this forum, but could easily have a shot at the title.

SKSniper
11-23-2015, 02:13 PM
So once again I ask where else can a person enter into this contest?? Since it has nothing to do with AO.
I Know a few people that want nothing to do with AO and will not post pics to this forum, but could easily have a shot at the title.

Tough shat for them I guess??

Thanks to Rav for doing this again!

RavYak
11-23-2015, 02:33 PM

Obviously you have to post in the official thread.

This derby is not affiliated with AO but it is hosted on their forums as the site admin has agreed upon.

Btw, #4 really? Sigh, I moved on a long time ago wish you would too...

WayneChristie
11-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Well everyone who enters ravyaks derby play safe on the ice, have fun and good luck.Im only competing with myself this winter and maybe that guy who lives just up the road. Rav I hoope you catch a fish as big as your ego, that would definitely be one for the record books:sHa_shakeshout:

burbotman
11-23-2015, 04:34 PM
RavYak, I for one appreciate you explaining and providing background on the derby. Good on you and thank you for doing this.

lromanchuk
11-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Well everyone who enters ravyaks derby play safe on the ice, have fun and good luck.Im only competing with myself this winter and maybe that guy who lives just up the road. Rav I hoope you catch a fish as big as your ego, that would definitely be one for the record books:sHa_shakeshout:

Couldn't control yourself hey? Had to get your little shot in. Pretty sad Wayne.

RavYak
11-23-2015, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the kind words Wayne. Have fun this winter.

brohymn2
11-23-2015, 06:05 PM
I don't see how putting his name gives him a big ego. Maybe he's better at fishing than coming up with tournament names. Either way let's get back to talking about fishing

Dale S
11-23-2015, 06:20 PM
I checked the lakes down south today (Nov.23). It's going to be awhile before we'll be on the ice.

RavYak
11-23-2015, 07:20 PM
The ice up here probably won't be great with this snow we are getting now too.

The start date is Dec. 1st but most anglers won't get out till the weekend on Dec 5th so hopefully we have a little bit better ice by then.

If anyone is thinking about going out in the first few weeks of the competition please be very careful and make sure to choose small shallower lakes that will freeze quicker for your first few outings.

Brandon5555
11-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Holy moly, need too print a copy just for all the rules

RavYak
11-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Holy moly, need too print a copy just for all the rules

Just take a photo showing measurement of fish in a healthy state and with your token present. If you do that you will be fine.

Eagle Trapper
11-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Holy smokes is there some belly aching or what.

I haven't joined before but looks like fun, looking forward to it.

Thanks rav

Rikkles Fisher
11-23-2015, 11:29 PM
I think I'm gonna sit this hardwater derby out I was ripped off on biggest perch this summer and I'm still bitter about it hehe il stick to beating RavYak in personal bets instead lol 😉 Sorry I had to Rav. Lol

slivers86
11-24-2015, 03:26 AM
Hey Ravyak,

If all the weekend warriors wants to itch and scratch... ya see what i did there... than why not just make a facebook group and invite those who want to participate. That way all the arm chair soliders can keep to themselves, and the rest of us who want to be part of it, can be part of it!

Og Dumi
11-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Gotta sit out too, working full time against some who dont work at all and fish 24/7 is hard to compete! Good luck everyone.

binnzer32
11-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Agreed bums like Wayne.

Gotta sit out too, working full time against some who dont work at all and fish 24/7 is hard to compete! Good luck everyone.

jacenbeers
11-24-2015, 10:01 AM
It makes no sense why Rockies would be excluded? They are fished for all the time. Including them should loose a challenge to competitive fisherman and excluding them just seems ridiculous

FlyTheory
11-24-2015, 10:37 AM
I'd also add no jaw grippers, they do so much damage to fish. Something that harms fish shouldn't be included in a C&R photo.

WayneChristie
11-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Agreed bums like Wayne.

No sensible comments as usual. I work as many hours as most people but I work 12 hour shifts not that its any of your business. I have no problem with rav doing the work he does for the derby but to just arbitrarily name it after himself is ridiculous. Thats my opinion and if you dont agree thats your right. Maybe grow up a bit

wags
11-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Hey Ravyak,

If all the weekend warriors wants to itch and scratch... ya see what i did there... than why not just make a facebook group and invite those who want to participate. That way all the arm chair soliders can keep to themselves, and the rest of us who want to be part of it, can be part of it!

Not everyone has Facebook.

Talking moose
11-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Not everyone has Facebook.

Only takes about 2 min to sign up... Throw a pic of a walrus up, call yourself Barry Juice, and good to go. Your set.

THERICARDO
11-24-2015, 01:35 PM

I agree 100%

THERICARDO
11-24-2015, 01:37 PM

hahah Nice work My Christie...

Talking moose
11-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Fishing is no longer fun when it quits becoming fun... Eh boys?

Crankbait
11-24-2015, 01:40 PM
how about the alberta friendly hardwater derby where everybody gets a say on species and rules then have a start and end date and the post pics?

how can rmw's or suckers not be included? suckers are a blast thru the ice.

how about, no ice rods/jawjackers (man that must kill a lot of fish), only hand bombing the line?

THERICARDO
11-24-2015, 01:41 PM
I find it ridiculous this guy names it after himself, ego much? wow some people are too much...

CanadianBadass
11-24-2015, 01:57 PM
That's exactly right. If the pictures are submitted following the outlined criteria, then there's no real "judging" going on. Ravyak is putting in all the time and effort to go through every submission and organizing this entire challenge. He defiantly deserves to participate.

It's just a name...As he said, it had to be changed to something not affiliated with Alberta Outdoorsman. You nailed it... it's just for fun. So who cares about the name. He's doing all the work so we can all have a little friendly challenge this winter. If you don't like it, don't participate.

You are 100% correct, He does all the work, and labeled it Ravs Challenge, WHO GIVES what its called. ! Call it what ever, it is the same derby. Its not like he did it to be the best and show his enormous ego... Man guys get so bent out of shape over nothing. If you don't wanna participate. then DONT ! posting stupid garbage makes you look like an idiot and a childish one at that ! I know a few of the idiots who have bashed Rav truly are Idiots so it is par for them.. But seriously guys. Its just a name, Same derby !.

SMH !

And very few replies like this one below !

He Rav man, Awesome job and thanks for doing all the work, Any way we can change the name, I find it weird that its named after you, Thanks again for all the effort put forth on your part...

^------------- That's how you talk like a big boy, and have a serious conversation ...... That's all it takes !

Talking moose
11-24-2015, 02:04 PM
You are 100% correct, He does all the work, and labeled it Ravs Challenge, WHO GIVES what its called. ! Call it what ever, it is the same derby. Its not like he did it to be the best and show his enormous ego... Man guys get so bent out of shape over nothing. If you don't wanna participate. then DONT ! posting stupid garbage makes you look like an idiot and a childish one at that ! I know a few of the idiots who have bashed Rav truly are Idiots so it is par for them.. But seriously guys. Its just a name, Same derby !.

SMH !

And very few replies like this one below !

He Rav man, Awesome job and thanks for doing all the work, Any way we can change the name, I find it weird that its named after you, Thanks again for all the effort put forth on your part...

^------------- That's how you talk like a big boy, and have a serious conversation ...... That's all it takes !

Yup, suggestions are always a good place to start, rather than into a full blown rant.

wags
11-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Only takes about 2 min to sign up... Throw a pic of a walrus up, call yourself Barry Juice, and good to go. Your set.

It isn't the effort - i avoid it on purpose :)

RavYak
11-24-2015, 02:58 PM
I am done discussing the rules. Unfortunately I cannot make everyone happy so I have to make a decision and this is the one I have made. If you have an issue with the rules, me or this derby I sincerely ask that you please choose to ignore these threads rather then try to wreck it for everyone else...

For those that know nothing about me and obviously have never met me I am not in this for my ego... They say actions speak louder then words though so I will not include myself in this seasons competition. If I can accomplish a couple of the goals I have for this winter I might post a couple fish just for fun.

Edit: And stop posting in the official thread. I hate having to ask mods to erase your inconsiderate posts...

hacman
11-24-2015, 05:06 PM
I am done discussing the rules. Unfortunately I cannot make everyone happy so I have to make a decision and this is the one I have made. If you have an issue with the rules, me or this derby I sincerely ask that you please choose to ignore these threads rather then try to wreck it for everyone else...

For those that know nothing about me and obviously have never met me I am not in this for my ego... They say actions speak louder then words though so I will not include myself in this seasons competition. If I can accomplish a couple of the goals I have for this winter I might post a couple fish just for fun.

Edit: And stop posting in the official thread. I hate having to ask mods to erase your inconsiderate posts...

The rules are simple enough, catch a fish, take a quick measurement photo, release it or bash it in the head if you like. Done, simple as that. Don't like the rules, or the species listed, or heaven forbid the name of the derby then don't participate. Or, take it for what it is, just for fun!

Rav, you should not have to exclude yourself from anything. I don't know you personally but from what I can tell you are passionate about fishing and enjoy being in the outdoors, just like the majority of us on AO. You took on a responsibility that was abandoned and nobody else stepped up to do it. More thanks is in order than what you're getting.

I've caught many new species, fished a lot of new waters, and met some great people because of my participation in the derbies. I may not have done so otherwise.

Hydro1
11-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Pretty pathetic guys.
Good on you rav.
I live a whopping 10 minutes from gull so I guess I'm obligated to enter.:sHa_shakeshout:

Bonescreek
11-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Hat's off to you RavYac, sounds like a wonderful thing your trying to do.
A friendly competition with comeradidy in mind without a need for prizes or
money or agendas.

Some will be concerned and or skeptical but I think they too will come around
as they see how this unfolds this winter.

No reason a group of well and like minded people can't get together for
something like this. Friends, neighbors and family sharing the wintertime and
the holidays and the fishing. I see no harm in that.
:)

huntsfurfish
11-24-2015, 06:23 PM

Just sayin.
Previous years, rules and fish and dates were discussed. :thinking-006:

However, the Rav has spoken.:)lol

RavYak
11-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I don't have a problem with sitting this one out though. I don't do this for the poorly made signature lol...

I took this derby over because I thought it was a good thing to have on this forum. If you agree and want it to stay all you guys have to do is one thing and that is participate.

kevinhits
11-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Agreed bums like Wayne.

Pretty ****ty comment you have to add to the discussion...Thanks for your valueable contribution...As usual!

RavYak
11-24-2015, 10:54 PM
Screw it. I have other things I need to deal with right now and I am sick and tired of the drama both here and behind the scenes.

This derby will not continue as planned. I am stepping down and will not continue to run these derbies anymore.

Sorry to the few that were actually looking forward to the derby...