PDA

View Full Version : Lost PAL?

Lost PAL?
12-24-2002, 09:22 PM
I lost my wallet back in Sept which contained my pal license. I have been trying ever since to get through on the 1 800 number, and have sent numerous e-mail to report it lost. Legally you have to report it missing, so how are you suppose to do this when no one can be reached. Do I risk confiscation of my firearms if I am unable to produce my license?

Don Meredith
12-26-2002, 09:28 AM
Kevin,

As far as I understand the law, a peace officer can seize your firearms if he asks to see your licence and you do not produce one. You then have 14 days to produce a valid FAC or possession licence to get your firearms back. If you do not produce the required documents (including registration certificates starting on January 1) in that period, you lose your firearms.

I don't know what to tell you about contacting the firearms centre. But if I was in your shoes I would be making sure that I document every attempt to contact them. The sending of a registered letter (with copies going to appropriate politicians) might not be a bad idea. If push comes to shove, a lawyer would want to see a record of what you tried to do.

They may have received all your e-mails, and may indeed be trying to produce a duplicate licence for you. But they are understaffed and overwhelmed. So, your paper work is probably buried in a pile with a whole bunch of others from equally concerned citizens.

I wish I could be more helpful! Good Luck!

Don