PDA

View Full Version : Big trout through the ice...

Flieguy
11-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Fished on an Interior BC lake today with 3" of solid ice. I saw tons of trout, but only managed a few of the smaller ones. the only bait I tried was shrimp, which is normally killer there, and also caught one on a mini tube jig with no bait.

over the course of the day nearly 2 dozen 14" plus brookies and rainbows checked out my rig, and wanted nothing to do with it, weather I was jigging slowly, wiggling it, or dropping it on the bottom. I was going insane trying different spoons and jigs!

I think my next course of action is to bring some worms, maybe also try a bare chironomid.

thoughts?

degasvegas
11-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Maybe change up your presentation next time?

Are you keeping the bait still while they inspect? Sometimes you need to make up their mind for them. Instead of letting them come to the conclusion that they don't want what your offering. Take it away before they can make the decision. Sometimes I find playing 'take away' causes them to just react and go after the bait.

Mad_On_Fishing
11-28-2015, 05:40 PM
what line are you using? flourocarbon leader?
also, ive noticed and have been told that a snap would even scare them away and to just tie straight onto the line.

going out for bows tomorow. hopefully i can get a few on the ice!

Flieguy
11-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Maybe change up your presentation next time?

Are you keeping the bait still while they inspect? Sometimes you need to make up their mind for them. Instead of letting them come to the conclusion that they don't want what your offering. Take it away before they can make the decision. Sometimes I find playing 'take away' causes them to just react and go after the bait.

wanted nothing to do with it, weather I was jigging slowly, wiggling it, or dropping it on the bottom.

I had 6lb mono tied straight to the jig, same line that I use in the summer when fly fishing and get the big guys to hit on.

Crankbait
11-28-2015, 08:04 PM
if you have some brass beadhead nymphs copper john or princes, just move them below the ice, close to the under ice. not sure if you can get some teardrop's, little tiny blobs of chrome or brass.

another trick that works is zzzzzzzzppppping the line; moisten your fingers and as you pull the line up with one hand you'll pull the line between your thumb and moistened finger tip causing a vibration on the line, not unlike running your finger around a wine glass.

another odd bait that has worked for me is black pitted olives cut lengthwise into thirds. if there are beetles in the lake, the olives look just like them, a black sharpie used on the hook helps keep the imitation beetle looking somewhat real.:)

Crankbait
11-28-2015, 08:06 PM
also try facing the sun and bring a roll of foam or carpet to stand on and don't clear away too much snow.

morinj
11-28-2015, 09:25 PM
Just remember that if you are allowed to use bait, trout absolutely LOVE shrimp, and bacon. My trick is to heat it with a lighter for five seconds or so before I drop my hook, having had a lot of success!! Also don't be afraid to move. I know it's a lot of work drilling holes but, if a hole isn't putting out, move. I usually give it a half hour to a hour. Often times you'll find that the most of your action comes in the first few min of dropping your hook!!!

boonedocks
11-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Now this is a good thread! I'm going to try the lighter, the zing and especially the black olive tip!! One other thing, try not to be banging around and sliding your seat on the ice especially when it's thin and/ or clear as this will scare them off. Although in your case it sounds like they just wouldn't bite. My go to rainbow hook threw the ice is a 1/16 oz jig head ( usually chartreuse or black) with about 3/4" of dew worm threaded on in lieu of a rubber body. The head and tail ends seem to work best and at the end of the day I have a tub full of dead half worms!! Give it a try!

Crankbait
11-28-2015, 11:34 PM
takes a bit of practice but this picture should get you a few steps ahead.