PDA

View Full Version : For those who dont know

Bonescreek
11-30-2015, 07:06 PM
IF you fish a big lake..
1. Do you plan on a Laker and use a stout pole? Just in case.
2. Do you go with a middle of the road rod and hope for the best ?

What does one do if they catch a really big fish on light tackle,
thru the ice no less ?

What do you all do then ?

Pray ?

:)

Zip-in-Z
11-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Why is it .... that I/me thinks you already know?

As well, praying won't hurt, regardless of the circumstances ... OMG.

Talking moose
11-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Just read on Facebook, guy was after whites, had 8 lb test and a wire worm, hooked and landed a 31lb pike today, had his daughter running the end of a shovel to keep the shovel end between the line and the edge of the sharp ice.... He landed it! Nice pic of it.

tight line
11-30-2015, 07:55 PM
I like to try and catch the big fish on light tackle! Its all in the Drag!

Kim473
12-01-2015, 08:45 AM
Just read on Facebook, guy was after whites, had 8 lb test and a wire worm, hooked and landed a 31lb pike today, had his daughter running the end of a shovel to keep the shovel end between the line and the edge of the sharp ice.... He landed it! Nice pic of it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=272981

cube
12-01-2015, 08:54 AM
I like to try and catch the big fish on light tackle! Its all in the Drag!

Possible yes, but is it ethical?

binnzer32
12-01-2015, 10:40 AM

i like to try and catch the big fish on light tackle! Its all in the drag!

TROLLER
12-01-2015, 11:55 AM
What has using lite tackle got to do with ethic's.

I use light tackle only. 6 lb. braid with a 12 lb leader on a light 34 inch St Croix rod with a s 500 Shimano reel. Never had an issue with it and release 95% of my catch.

No issues fishing deep at Spray for lakers or shallow for large pike.

Tell me what is ethical about horsing a fish up with a tip up where is the sport in that.

cube
12-01-2015, 12:12 PM
What has using lite tackle got to do with ethic's.

According to the biologist quite a bit. Even more if your planning on releasing them.

Kyle
12-01-2015, 12:23 PM
What has using lite tackle got to do with ethic's

Using lite tackle for the species usually means a long or longer fight. That will build up lactic acid in a fish and even though it swims away, it might not survive. This is for catch and release of course.

Tell me what is ethical about horsing a fish up with a tip up where is the sport in that.

Ever try hand bombing 40"+ pike on a tipup? That is fun :sHa_shakeshout:

cube
12-01-2015, 12:53 PM
According to the biologist quite a bit. Even more if your planning on releasing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tuxRI7r-GE&list=UUvAwkDAVBPDd6_UWyoKeB9Q&index=2

binnzer32
12-01-2015, 01:42 PM
The biologists that have stunted almost every lake in alberta..... no thanks I would rather trust the guy working at Domo

Newellknik
12-01-2015, 01:57 PM
B 32. X2

For Lakers 10-12 lb test ....HD ice spinning Rod.....Adequate
Spinning reel . Definitely round off the ice on the bottom of
Hole . It has been my experience that a big laker ( 20 plus )
By time you get him up through a hole , he's done get the pan
Ready . Those big ones smoke really well .

Sorta like this one ...

cube
12-01-2015, 02:28 PM
The biologists that have stunted almost every lake in alberta..... no thanks I would rather trust the guy working at Domo

Good chance the guy at the Domo is a biologist.:)

By the way the biologists don't make most of the decisions in this province, politicians do. But I digress.

Have a great season.

Zip-in-Z
12-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Agreed, the guys I worked with at Fisheries and Oceans, Freshwater Inst. in WPG, always said apply common sense to protect our fishery resources. Use the proper gear and avoid totally stressing out big fish, which could result in serious harm to the fish.

ETOWNCANUCK
12-03-2015, 06:59 PM

Just let the fish know the type of gear you have, and politely ask the big ones to stay away from it.

Og Dumi
12-03-2015, 07:29 PM
:shake2:Just let the fish know the type of gear you have, and politely ask the big ones to stay away from it.

Goater
12-03-2015, 09:19 PM
I snagged a ice fishing rod (Mitchell ) from CV years ago it must of had 50 lb braided line spooled on it.

TROLLER
12-04-2015, 09:49 AM
I cannot help but wonder about the big ass sturgeon caught in BC that run 10 or 11ft.

They are caught on heavy duty equipment but still take a long long time to get to the boat.

It is not considered by some to be ethical if I fish with a light rod and fight a fish for upwards to maybe 3 minutes but OK to fight a huge one for up to an hour.

Seems kinda like a double standard going on.

tight line
12-04-2015, 10:57 AM

Let me clarify a bit.... Im not talking anything crazy light, my lake trout set up is a 34" and 38" laker Pro and i run Okuma HT 30 & HT 40s on them with either 10-12 lb Flouro. No leader. Not all that light really, but when it comes to big fish everybody seems to think going bigger is going to land more fish, in my opinion it scares a lot of them away when the water is clear.

I play my fish with decent drag and steady pressure, and let them tire a bit.. Nothing crazy, to me this is easier on the fish as compared to watching someone winch in a 15lb class laker yard him through the hole, have a Wrestling match with him when he goes nuts on the ice..bear hug the fish, remove all of its slime and get it covered in snow and freeze its eye balls... If i had a nickle for everytime ive seen this ... But i suppose light tackle could be regarded as unethicle..