PDA

View Full Version : Which fluorcarbon line for whites?

Pike fisher
11-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Was fishing for whites on Saturday (with Couleestalker). Him and my son were picking up a few whites, but of the first eight whites that I saw, none of them even bumped my hook, they just swam past. I even changed colors of wire worms multiple times. After the fact, I realized that I had been using 6 lb blue Trilene Cold Weather line, while they were using clear 6 lb mono and 8 lb fluorocarbon.

Questions
1. Are whites picky enough that they will shy away from colored line?
2. I am looking at trying fluorocarbon line to see if it makes a difference. What brand do you recommend if hand fishing for whites? Also what weight?

It's kind of expensive, so I want to buy the right stuff first time.

Thanks for the advice.

Crankbait
11-30-2015, 08:54 PM
I like mono but if I go the fluro route I like a mono-fluoro blend. seagars or p-line, I forget the brand.

Mitchthefisher
11-30-2015, 09:03 PM
I use 6-8lb clear mono depending on size of whites , whites are very picky and line shy, they can be camera shy as well.

ineptflux
11-30-2015, 09:46 PM
can always use a leader too, i used blue last year but tied line-to-line fluoro as a lead. this year i'm using 8# fluoro and like it so far.

man i love them whites!

WayneChristie
11-30-2015, 10:05 PM
can always use a leader too, i used blue last year but tied line-to-line fluoro as a lead. this year i'm using 8# fluoro and like it so far.

man i love them whites!

what brand are you using? I want to try using fluoro for walleye but the stuff Ive seen so far was coiley as a spring and I want to find some thats limp

ineptflux
11-30-2015, 10:20 PM
what brand are you using? I want to try using fluoro for walleye but the stuff Ive seen so far was coiley as a spring and I want to find some thats limp

i'm using suffix invisiline but really it all coils, i've tried different stuff - what i haven't tried is the spray you use on the line to take out line memory kinks and such. but yeah as soon as i open the bail 10-15ft pops off.

what you can do for walleye is use fluoro leader material instead, it's a bit pricey but it's what i use for walleye and lakers. comes in like 25ft rolls and it's decent. they have it as most of the stores, here's a link to stuff i had (i bought a few different various tests) http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berkley-line-fluorocarbon-berkley-pro-spec/1290572.html

EZM
11-30-2015, 11:23 PM

All of the fluoro I've used is pretty stiff - certainly far less supple compared to mono but it is far less visible and has better abrasion resistance.

I run 8lb P Line FluoroIce ..... it seems to be the least stiff and easiest to tie small knots into. So far so good .....

http://p-line.com/line/specialty/floroice

I would only ever use fluorocarbon as a leader - spooling it up all the way onto your reel would just lead to nightmare.

chriscosta
12-01-2015, 07:07 AM
To each their own but since I switched to flouro I can't live with myself to use anything other ..I would use like 6 pound vanish or the suffix florocarbon seems much stronger .. but yes abrasion resistant and invisible under water

338Bluff
12-01-2015, 10:43 PM
4 pound leader of Berkley Pro Grade or Seguar. I don't like vanish it breaks to easy.
If I start to get break offs I switch to 6 pound.

You will get way more hook ups with 4 pound. Need a good medium action rod to take up the shock. Not for hand lining.

SNAPFisher
12-02-2015, 06:23 AM
I use maxima ultra - green - 6 lb as my lead. They say it disappears in water.

vic1
12-02-2015, 10:56 AM
I usually look for thinnest line that I can find in 4 – 6 lbs range. I don’t care for type or brand as long as is clear or olive color and around 0.14 mm thick. You can find them in fly fishing section on 30 yards spools. Most of the 4 – 6 lbs lines that you find in general fishing areas are almost double that size, around 0.20 – 0.22 mm thick. For whitefish you want to be as stealthy as you can get.

Frozenflyguy
12-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Wayne ...

I would recommend using tippet from a fly shop! Thinnest, strongest and most supple compared to any "ice" lines. My favorite is RIO ... and I swear by it!

http://www.rioproducts.com/tippet/freshwater/fluoroflex-plus/

I also use Suffix flouro as a main line on some of my rods but for deep water (laker fishing) I use braid.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/60301/sufix-832-ice-braid-ice-fishing-line

I doubt I will ever change this habit as many big toothy fish have come to the top without issue ... save a few stupid pike that annihilated my jigs on Newel last year ... pesky little b%st@rds!

buckman
12-02-2015, 01:07 PM
I use Vanish 6lb or 8lb.Only as a leader though.

I notice a big increase in bites.

Penner
12-02-2015, 01:10 PM
I use maxima ultra - green - 6 lb as my lead. They say it disappears in water.

X2. The best by Test.

SNAPFisher
12-02-2015, 05:43 PM
X2. The best by Test.

Hey Penner! This is "the" comeback year for Pigeon. I can feel it in my bones.

Mitchthefisher
12-02-2015, 06:37 PM

Pigeon sucks. Only good for walleye.

RoosterRed
12-02-2015, 06:50 PM
I don't fish for white fish(in fact I leave the hole when they do show up). I use a 25lb 2-3' leader of seagar. After a few good good hook set and the leader will stay straight.

SNAPFisher
12-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Pigeon sucks. Only good for walleye.

Dis be true. I was speaking hypothetically :)

Penner
12-08-2015, 01:07 PM

SNAP, I'm certainly going to give Pigeon a honest try. Need some cooler weather to get that ice thicker.

Mitchthefisher
12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
SNAP, I'm certainly going to give Pigeon a honest try. Need some cooler weather to get that ice thicker.

Dont do it, waste of time..:bad_boys_20:

ineptflux
12-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Dont do it, waste of time..:bad_boys_20:

summer killed :bad_boys_20:

Mitchthefisher
12-08-2015, 05:23 PM
summer killed :bad_boys_20:

This year was one of the worst years for summer kill, be surprised if any survived.

Zip-in-Z
12-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Questions

1. Are whites picky enough that they will shy away from colored line?

Based on past experience .... "Yes" - in Sylvan and not so much in Gull.

2. I am looking at trying fluorocarbon line to see if it makes a difference. What brand do you recommend if hand fishing for whites? Also what weight?

I use Sufix 10 lb braided line with a 6 ft Sufix Fluro clear leader in 4 or 6 lb. That said, it's not the line, it's whats tied to end of the line that produces.

http://sufix.fishing/products/invisiline-ice-fluorocarbon

Cheers

ineptflux
12-08-2015, 08:37 PM
This year was one of the worst years for summer kill, be surprised if any survived.

a few years ago it actually happened, dunno if you recall that or not.

Mitchthefisher
12-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Yeah man, floaters everywhere!

SNAPFisher
12-08-2015, 08:55 PM
a few years ago it actually happened, dunno if you recall that or not.

You don't say. No wonder it is so dead! At least no one else knows not to waste their time here. In the words of SafetyD "It's dead!".

Speckle55
12-08-2015, 11:02 PM
I use Vanish 8# fluorocarbon

David:)

BPman
12-09-2015, 10:13 PM
I have found the flourocarbons very expensive and over rated but I do believe whitefish can be line shy. The blue ice line and yellow Stren work for many species but not for whites in my experience. Clear line of any brand seems best but I have settled on Magnathin because it stays quite limp in the cold so not only uncoils quite easily but doesn't have loops jumping off the spools of my U-L spin reels. I use 10 lb Magnathin and have caught hundreds of whites on it in Sylvan, Gull and Macgregor Lakes.