PDA

View Full Version : Ice in calgary/cochrane area

spinN'flyfish
12-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Hey folks, as much as I want, I'm excited to go ice fishing, haven't been out on the ice yet, unlike most of the lucky folks out there. Would it be safe to head out there this weekend, its been pretty warm and I don't want to risk anything out on the ice just for a few fish. Any ice still holding well and is >4''? I'm likely heading east/south/north(west) with some worms for trout and perch.
Good Luck to anyone who is heading out there this weekend as well. Be safe out there folks!

slabm7
12-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Saw some people taking quads out on the ghost reservoir yesterday, not sure if I would trust that ice yet but they seem to thing it's good.

TROLLER
12-05-2015, 11:40 AM
death wish is maybe what they had in mind. 5-600 lbs quad at Ghost this early is taking a huge chance for sure.

Must of been a few young guys with no worry about thin ice.

Don K
12-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Lol! Ghost is a crap shoot at the best of times. Taking your life in your hands when you go on it this early, especially with the warm weather we've had...

270WINCHESTER
12-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Was checking out ghost last week. It was only 3" then, and i doubt it has gotten much thicker since then with the warm weather. Where the pressure ridge usually is from the boat launch to the dam was still 1-2 meters of open water. I didn't even want to walk on the ice yet, let alone take a quad on. Not the smartest move by those guys