PDA

View Full Version : water clarity

Bobby B.
12-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Yesterday, I was out fishing at Carson. In 12.5fow, visibility with my Marcum vs824sd was much poorer than expected. Even at 7.5fow, visibility appeared reduced in comparison to what I recall from last season.

Is the water clarity less now than what it will be in a month from now?

Bobby

Fishslayer99
12-07-2015, 08:46 AM
I have noticed with early season ice, water clarity can be crappy. It could be due to a few things like if it was very windy while the lake was freezing, or weed die off clouding up the water. That said it usually clears up within a few weeks from what I have observed.

Kim473
12-07-2015, 08:55 AM
I was at a lake last week that is usualy pretty clear. Lots of green algee kind of stuff in the water and couldn't see the bottom where you usualy can. I think the lakes may have had a turn over and stired the bottom up. Should clear up some what over the next few weeks. Hopefully sooner than later. I Noticed that Gull was quite cloudy most of last winter compared to other winters.

http://thescientificfisherman.com/lake-turnover-stratification/

Dean2
12-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Early after ice forms the water is cloudy from left over algae and the beginning of weeds and other vegetation breaking down. A month in it will be a bit clearer and be really clear just before ice goes off in the spring. This happens on all lakes every year. Even ones that are really clear during open water cloud up when the weeds start to break down.

Bobby B.
12-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks, guys. Good to know it's not my camera or my 58 year old eyes.

Bobby

woolly7
12-07-2015, 03:10 PM
How was the ice at Carson? I am thinking of heading there Saturday.

Bobby B.
12-08-2015, 08:25 AM
How was the ice at Carson? I am thinking of heading there Saturday.

Carson had a full 8" of ice. There's 1" of snow on top of the ice, less in some spots.

Last Thursday, I missed 9 fish, iced 5, plus had one break my line at the hole. This was in 5 fow.

Last Sunday, I never saw a fish on the camera at either 12.5 or 7.5 fow. Guys fishing deeper were catching fish.

Bobby