PDA

View Full Version : Jaw jacker

lilweav
12-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Looking at getting one of these, has anyone had good success with them? I most fish for perch & whites but I always throw a tip up in for pike & walleye but never see the flag go up so though about getting one of these and putting a bell on the end. What your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

EZM
12-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Looking at getting one of these, has anyone had good success with them? I most fish for perch & whites but I always throw a tip up in for pike & walleye but never see the flag go up so though about getting one of these and putting a bell on the end. What your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

They are awesome ...... work great ....... but bring extra bells and maybe some safety glasses. If not you will need an eyepatch. lol.

This thing will catapult a bell 20-30 yards no problem.

niwrek
12-07-2015, 03:16 PM
I have 5 they are the best tip up ever

Fishslayer99
12-07-2015, 03:20 PM
I have 5 they are the best tip up ever

Agree with niwrek, they out fish me sometimes. If you are handy and want to save some cash it is easy to make your own with ABS, look at YouTube for some ideas. I made 5 for $45 and trust me they are just as good as the jaw jackers.

wookie
12-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Agree with niwrek, they out fish me sometimes. If you are handy and want to save some cash it is easy to make your own with ABS, look at YouTube for some ideas. I made 5 for $45 and trust me they are just as good as the jaw jackers.
I have made some too, and the work great. I will post some pics tonight.

lilweav
12-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Didn't even think about trying to make one, doesn't look that bad the only thing I have a hard time think about how to do it is the trigger device

Mitchthefisher
12-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Video online will teach you step by step how to make one, the store bought ones seem to be slightly more sensitive to bites than my home made ones but the one flaw of the store bought ones is if they freeze up the trigger stops working, this is not a issue with my home made ones.

1bluZebec
12-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Well worth the money;)

boonedocks
12-07-2015, 06:39 PM
My last trip for rainbows ended in the score of jawjacker:6, me:0?! Even when I changed holes and used a ultralight bobber so the bait didn't move, the trout still grabbed the hook on the jawjacker! Almost depressing😜

Stonecutter
12-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Video online will teach you step by step how to make one, the store bought ones seem to be slightly more sensitive to bites than my home made ones but the one flaw of the store bought ones is if they freeze up the trigger stops working, this is not a issue with my home made ones.

How'd you manage that? Had mine out in -25C on one occasion and didn't have a problem. I usually pull it away from the hole after I pick the rod up though.

Mitchthefisher
12-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Probably got wet landing a fish would be my guess, only thing i can think of. Happened to me twice now lol.

Stonecutter
12-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Probably got wet landing a fish would be my guess, only thing i can think of. Happened to me twice now lol.

I see. That would probably do it!

SamSteele
12-08-2015, 05:55 AM
Didn't even think about trying to make one, doesn't look that bad the only thing I have a hard time think about how to do it is the trigger device

I made something similar as a kid and used a mouse trap as the trigger. Line went over the trap trigger. Fish bit and the trap sprung, setting the hook. Worked great.

SS

tonypower
12-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I have two of them, and I have had lots of strikes but no hook ups. I was using them for pike with a quick strike rig. I think I am going to down size the bait this year.

Reddin
12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Here is something for you guys that hunt also.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDAcdRXu27I

Mitchthefisher
12-08-2015, 11:46 AM
I have two of them, and I have had lots of strikes but no hook ups. I was using them for pike with a quick strike rig. I think I am going to down size the bait this year.

For the bigger baits leave like 20 feet of line for the fish to run with and give them time to take the bait in there mouth before it sets the hook, my hookup rate was like 80-90% doing this at wabuman on the weekend.

binnzer32
12-08-2015, 11:47 AM
They suck for pike.

iliketrout
12-08-2015, 02:37 PM
They work great for trout from my experiences, really work well at Spray lake on the deadstick line while jigging 3-4' away. I wouldn't use them for pike unless a long lead is given like mitchthefisher said.