PDA

View Full Version : mexico fishing

el sparko
12-08-2015, 01:21 PM
any of you guys ever fished in mexico? i'm thinking about heading down in February and was wondering the how-tos ect.

Gary K
12-08-2015, 03:28 PM
been down there lots,

where yah heading?

mooseknuckle
12-08-2015, 05:03 PM
was down in PV last April. the Sheraton had one of those Peninsula type things for wedding go and stuff. guy from Toronto I met was casting spoons and such every morning and did very well. not sure what species he was catching but he was hauling in all sorts of fish! just in the morning though he said around 930 it just stopped?

curtis_rak
12-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Caught barracuda, snapper, king mackerel and Bonita in Mayan Riviera 2 weeks ago.

Water was rough, and it was not fun. At least the fish were biting. No Amberjack or Mahi though which was disappointing.

SamSteele
12-08-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm heading to Cancun in Feb too. Subscribing to this thread.

raw outdoors
12-08-2015, 11:04 PM
I surf fished 12 days straight 4 hours every morning just north of PV I caught a couple fish one jackcravel that was a 10 min battle. But all the other fish were just perch size on a pickrel rig. For big fish topwater plugs that you can cast far are best. The big fish can be seen just out of casting distance. Most people i have seen fishing use pickrel rig type things. Last two years i have borrowed a kayak two years ago I could not keep the snapper off with just a jig and sented tail off the bottom, last year tried the kayak and not a bite. No clue.
I will be back in February 10-21

aulrich
12-09-2015, 09:39 AM
I'll be in the area punta de mita, mid February, my last trip I surf cast at mazatlan , had fun just dipping bait. The 12' surf rod did help. The thought of renting a yak has some merit. Don't think a deep sea trip is in the budget this trip.

SamSteele
12-09-2015, 09:47 AM
I've been looking into the inshore/fly trips as an alternate to the deep sea route. Looks to be about 3-400 per 8 hour day with up to 2 people on the boat.

SS

Tofinoguy
12-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Fishing is great in Los Cabos with Dream Weaver charters!!

Settle&release
12-10-2015, 07:35 PM
What are the licensing costs to just fish off the pier or out of a small boat? Just curious

Okotokian
12-10-2015, 08:18 PM
What are the licensing costs to just fish off the pier or out of a small boat? Just curious

Seriously, not sure there are any. Lots of people fish from the beach without issue. I tried to find info but never did find any. When I fished with a fly fishing guide there was never any talk of licenses.

aulrich
12-10-2015, 09:20 PM
No licence for shore fishing , iirc I did on a panga did for sure with the off shore trip, but it's peanuts compared to the cost of the charter

Settle&release
12-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Cool! I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in Mexico. I've fished there with charters but didn't catch more than snapper lol

aulrich
12-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Just a little intro to some of the surf fishing lures, if folks are interested.

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215725/Lures%20for%20adventure%20surf%20fishing

raw outdoors
12-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Be sure if you rent a kayak or find somebody to borrow one from when you are pushing kayak out past the surf or paddling in through the surf strap everything down or when you flip it will be lost to davy jones locker. I only lost $800 in gear my first trip.
I fish out in the unoccupied beach between villa el lestancia and bucerious but this feb i will try to fish the rocks out by puntamenta at least once.

el sparko
12-17-2015, 05:34 PM
wow lots of interest!
i'm thinking about Puerto villarta or Mazatlan 10 days in early feb. I've seen 4-6 hour charters that run about $150. per head. my only fear is seasickness, years ago while on a cod charter in maine I managed to stomach chum that passed year's xmas dinner!!
i'm told the bay tends to be a bit calmer.

raw outdoors
12-18-2015, 09:28 AM
I booked a trip for $150 per head with mikes fishing. there was five of us we slowly taxied all the way out to the islands just off the punta mitta shore. It took forever to get there and forever to get back pretty much idled to save fuel. There was five if us we caught 40 bonitto and one mako shark. Can't complain about price at $150 but i see the boats that pay $700 going just as slow. Half a day of fishing is used up leaving the marina to the fishing hole. If i was to do a day trip again i would find a company with boats running from punta mintta. that would save alot of time to hop the bus to punta then getting on a boat. If you can find a local guy with a panga head out to the islands and troll with rappelas and squids with your pike fishing gear your will never have a better fight cathching a 8lb bonitto on medium tackle. Our drag was set for pike when we got there and thise little fish spooled our reels. To much fun

waterninja
12-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Only advice I can add here is that if you want to do any shore fishing like I did in a nice bay by the marina, Bring all the gear you'll need. Last year I waent to Mexico, and stayed outside of Cancun. It was almost impossible to find any fishing gear in or around Cancun.

aulrich
12-18-2015, 01:17 PM
I have been doing a bit more digging, and here is another shore fishing options, the video is from California but I think it should be applicable. On my last trip one evening I did run into a whole bunch of "salt water catfish" and did have fun with them. The advantage is that I would think the small fish are less prone to seasonal migration and the gear is a little less specialized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC7VzbkABV8

SWMBO says we are going south for the next few years for a week in the winter so I better figure this out or I'll be stuck sitting by the pool drinking.

rocpilefsj
12-18-2015, 03:46 PM
If you are going to PV check out fishing rebels on trip advisor, my buddy has used them about half a dozen times. Says you can't beat their price and always have you on fish. Was going to try them out myself in January but decided to head to the other side between Akumal and Tulum instead.

SamSteele
02-11-2016, 02:43 PM
Thought I would follow up on this thread. My son and I went fishing in the lagoon behind Cancun and caught 12 barracuda and a couple of jacks. No tarpon that day, but I did have a snook hit my popper at the boat.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/751d943d62a2b8f1007444029dbe892c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160211/9c54cd98d0c1b10173255a8d53020b84.jpg

SS

dodgeboy1979
02-11-2016, 03:57 PM
went out on a fishing trip in PV recently, caught a 400+ lb blue marlin and a Mahi Mahi, awesome time, and beautiful boat.