PDA

View Full Version : fishing in the dark

savage21
12-09-2015, 09:09 AM
since it is dark by the time we all get off work during the week we usually reserve our ice fishing trips for weekends. well what about taking off after work to hit up the nearest fishing hole? why not fish in the dark? gave it a shot last night and didnt catch anything. tried all kinds of different lures, depths, baits and styles of fishing. maybe i was doing something wrong? any advice, tips and opinions are valuable and very appreciated. and go!:test:

waterninja
12-09-2015, 09:18 AM
You must be hitting trout ponds. In all my years of fishing trout I have only caught one trout when it's dark. Trout just don't bite after dark.

On the other hand, if you try a lake with pike and walleye you have a very good chance of catching fish. Pike and ESP. Walleye really come alive after dark.

savage21
12-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Was fishing in a lake with pike, pickerel, perch, burbot, and whitefish. No luck. Perhaps it was just that the bite wasn't on?

Mitchthefisher
12-09-2015, 09:46 AM
I have caught rainbows, burbot and walleye during the dark.

Fishslayer99
12-09-2015, 09:55 AM
In my experiences night fishing has its "golden hours: like day fishing, regardless of what species your targeting. If your going to night fish, give it a honest effort and put in your time...it may be a slow time from when the sun sets to midnight or 3 am but when the bite is on its on.

Dom4
12-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Alright so for someone who has never night fished would you guys recommend giving it a try?

billycap
12-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I usually only night fish for rainbows or burbs. Rainbows are pretty easy i find. Tiny jig with half an orange power bait nugget on it. Get into 8-15ft of water. Drop jig to bottom slowly raise about a foot then drop. I always get better action when i move the hook as slow as possible at night for some reason.

cube
12-09-2015, 01:26 PM
since it is dark by the time we all get off work during the week we usually reserve our ice fishing trips for weekends. well what about taking off after work to hit up the nearest fishing hole? why not fish in the dark? gave it a shot last night and didnt catch anything. tried all kinds of different lures, depths, baits and styles of fishing. maybe i was doing something wrong? any advice, tips and opinions are valuable and very appreciated. and go!:test:

You will see less action at night. Walleye, Rainbow and Burbot are known to bite at night but certainly not in the numbers you'd see during the golden hours.

The fish might not be where you'd find them during daylight hours and you will probably have to do a fair bit of searching to find where the active fish are in the dark. Might be very shallow or they might move out to the middle of the lake.

Good luck in your quest.

neilsledder
12-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Can a guy use a hook that glows in the dark?

rafhone
12-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Can a guy use a hook that glows in the dark?

Absolutely. I love these glow propeller jigs from Cabelas.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/57588/cabelas-fisherman-series-whirly-jig

neilsledder
12-09-2015, 04:06 PM
I didn't know the legalities about glow in the dark or lighted hooks in the night. I am pretty sure a big old spot light down the hole is frowned on lol

rafhone
12-09-2015, 04:50 PM
page 25 of the regs:

(it is unlawful to) Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling. This includes visible lights that are emitted by underwater
cameras.

PlayDoh
12-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I agree that night bites are more than not better than daylight bites, for me atleast. 11/midnight till 3ish is the ticket.
Only walleye and Burbot though. Only caught burbs at night and never caught a pike.
Get yourself a good spotlight type of light preferably with a large flat surface. And lay your glow jig and glow jig-head in the light a few mins before you switch it with one you have on. I do it around 10 mins apart.
Fishin hole usually has good glow jigs. Those and small crankbaits, like #5 raps or jigging raps. Or whatever you have that makes noise.
I'll often use a rattler to bring em in, then switch to a glow jig with minnow. That way your using sight, sound and taste/scent.

Newellknik
12-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Some lakes in Alberta closed to night fishing . It has been my
Experience that Burbs will bite all night , walleye in that last hour after
Sunset up shallow . Pike not an issue at night .
South Alberta reservoirs with out much structure , this theory seems
To go all to hell .

WayneChristie
12-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Ive caught pike after dark, was actually rather surprised .

BPman
12-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Was fishing in a lake with pike, pickerel, perch, burbot, and whitefish. No luck. Perhaps it was just that the bite wasn't on?

Try jigging spoons with glow-in-the-dark paint for walleyes, burbot and whitefish - they work very well for us. Concentrate on being near (within a foot) of the bottom

rafhone
12-09-2015, 10:16 PM
If the sky is clear of clouds and on a full moon pike will feed . It is about the only time I've caught Pike at night. 2 years ago had a hell of a time on Tobin Lake catching big pike all night on a full moon. My biggest pike last year was caught 3 hours before sunrise on a full moon.

PlayDoh
12-09-2015, 11:07 PM
If the sky is clear of clouds and on a full moon pike will feed . It is about the only time I've caught Pike at night. 2 years ago had a hell of a time on Tobin Lake catching big pike all night on a full moon. My biggest pike last year was caught 3 hours before sunrise on a full moon.

Awesome info bro. Werewolf vs Northern Pike going down this hard water season.

savage21
12-10-2015, 08:59 AM
what about the rules of structure? is it the same as day fishing? should i stick to quick depth transitions or fish the edges of weedbeds?

niwrek
12-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Last time I went fishing in the dark I had a kid!!!!:thinking-006:

Legend Boats
02-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Night fishing can yield some of the best and biggest bites in the winter months. I have great luck fishing for pan fish at night, Live bait seems to be the ticket but a little flash from jigging a spoon can entice a “tough Bite” condition.
Cheers Henry - Legend Boats

RavYak
02-20-2016, 09:37 AM
I fish many nights overnighting on lakes and you can catch trout burbot and walleye but other species are rare. The fishing can be slower then daytime fishing(except burbot) but you can still catch fish.