PDA

View Full Version : Sinking flyline, recomendations?

Cal
02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm going to get a sinking line this year, I've never owned one b4 so I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I fish mostly pothole lakes with the odd trip out grande cache way to fish the rivers. I do alot of casting from shore but would like to use it for trolling as well. What rate of sinking line am I looking for?

troutpirate
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
type 3 full sink is great for what u want to do.

Big.Bear
02-08-2009, 04:28 PM
if you can get the cortland camo line. I really like it.

ICE HOLE
02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Type 3 Full Sink for lakes and a Sink Tip for the rivers. I find a full sink in the rivers is difficult to pick up and cast after the drift. But, if you are only going to get one get a full sink and struggle in the streams. You can get away with a dry line and weighted leader in most streams.

Just my thoughts.

uicehole
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
I like a type 4 for trolling from my float tube. It gets me down to 20ft or more for those dog days of summer. If you're doing mostly casting from shore, then the other members' recomm for type 3 is the way to go.

Cowboy Al
02-08-2009, 09:59 PM
GD advice so far. another recommendation I would add is to buy a good quality flyline don't cheap out or you'll be disappointed. I bought Scientific Anglers floating and type 3 sinking lines over 5 years ago, (after using some "bargin" line, nothing but frustration!!)take good care of them (washing them in soapy H2O, rinse em in fresh H2O at least once per season) and they'll last for 1000's of fish.

Kingfisher
02-09-2009, 02:00 AM
if you can get the cortland camo line. I really like it.

I'd also say get the 444 Cortland Clear Camo line. I use mine all the time for casting or trolling it doesn't matter. It's a nice all round line.

Here's Corland's blurb on the line.
The 444 Clear Camo is the top choice for Stillwater anglers all over the world. The super stealthy "clear camo" blends into any sub-surface environment to virtually disappear in the water and will not distort the water surface. The slowest full sinking line on the market with a sink rate of 1.5 - 2 inches per second. This allows the fly to stay in the feeding zone longer than any other line. The 444 Clear Camo is ideal for the shallow water conditions and spooky fish. This super supple line will remain supple in the coldest conditions

**** WARNING**** DO NOT GET THE 555 line though. They are just slinky's. The only one I ever bought never ever straightened out. From the day I bought it, to the day I threw it into the fire from frustration. Tried every trick in the book to straighten it out too.

Cal
02-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks all. If I think I might be doing a fair bit of trolling from my canoe would it be advisable to get a faster sinking line? Would getting a type 3 for general use and picking up a cheap non tapered line for trolling deeper be a good solution?