PDA

View Full Version : Rod building help

Murr15
02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I would like to try and build my own rod. Does any one know where to buy kits in canada. I tried online at a few stores but they cant ship them from the states.

Thanks in advance
Murray

packhuntr
02-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I was on the St Croix website awhile back and remember coming across/seeing kits there, if I remember right anyways. Maybe check it out. They are great rods, I ordered another just after Christmas, (my third now) but from a supplier obviously. Im not sure why you cant get anyone to ship something like that?? I have had all manner of things shipped without issue.

Big.Bear
02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I used to buy stuff from cabelas.....have you tried there?

ICE HOLE
02-08-2009, 05:25 PM
packhuntr is right you can get them shipped but the cost is determined by the length of the piece. A one piece 6 foot rod would be very expensive by mail a 5 piece 9 foot not so much. If the blanks are offshore made the duty will add to the cost as wel as the Canadian dollar which is another reason to search out a Canadian source.

Try Flys Etc in High River 403 601-6120. He has a good selection of rod building components, rod blanks, handles, reel seats and the like. He can put a package together for you and ship it via Fedex or???? I know he has some St Croix & PacBay blanks. He has mostly fly rod blanks but can get any blank you want if he doesn't have it in stock. He also gives rod building classes for those who are building their first rod or need the tools and materials.

Scratch
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Rod Builders Supply out of Victoria BC has some great stuff and at very reasonable prices. Most of the parts for my last rod (7' 4wt 2pc with single foot guides) came from Andy. Great guy to deal with, good stuff, good prices.

http://rodbuildersupplies.com/

Kingfisher
02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I own a small rod building company. I build custom rods and also sell all the guides, epoxies, thread, components and books. I just do it on a small scale at the moment. But am going to expand the company this year. Just bought my partner out last year. I have lots of blanks to choose from. If you want I can put a kit together for you and give you a price. I have spey rod blanks, fly blanks and I will be bringing in some nice St Croix spinning rod blanks this spring.

Send me a PM and let me know what your looking for. I'd be happy to help. Or you can call me directly at (403) 831-FISH (3474)

I am in Calgary.

Rob