PDA

View Full Version : Where to get suckers for bait?

pikehunter1989
12-11-2015, 10:31 AM
I really want to find some smaller suckers to use for bait this winter (6-12 inch). Just wondering if anyone can point in a direction of where I could buy some?

binnzer32
12-11-2015, 10:51 AM
I have trapped before. Right in edmonton

I really want to find some rusmaller suckers to use for bait this winter (6-12 inch). Just wondering if anyone can point in a direction of where I could buy some?

EZM
12-11-2015, 10:54 AM
I really want to find some smaller suckers to use for bait this winter (6-12 inch). Just wondering if anyone can point in a direction of where I could buy some?

I have never seen suckers for sale however, if you are looking for something great to use for pike tip ups, I have had great success at Superstore. They carry a great variety of whole (guts still in) mackerel, herring, etc... ranging in size from 7" to about 14" in bulk bags for $6-$8 a bag ( a dozen or so in each bag).

These oily fish definitely bring the pike around.

aulrich
12-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Most trout ponds that can over winter have suckers, but the grocery store is faster

FlyTheory
12-11-2015, 01:19 PM
I second the herring, they work well. If you're wanting suckers, they're easy to catch with a net in small creeks or catch them on worms.

HowSwedeItIs
12-11-2015, 01:22 PM
I second the herring, they work well. If you're wanting suckers, they're easy to catch with a net in small creeks or catch them on worms.

what size tackle would you recommend for suckers?

pikehunter1989
12-11-2015, 02:04 PM
I know you can find them in some trout ponds and creeks and next year I think I might try netting some. In the mean time while everything is frozen over I figured I'd see if I can find them to buy anywhere. I've heard they work awesome for lakers and pike and wanted to give them a try this winter.

58thecat
12-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Get hold of me in the spring or summer.

Mudslide
12-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Chain lakes is full of them.

pikehunter1989
12-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Get hold of me in the spring or summer.

Will do! Thanks

pikehunter1989
12-11-2015, 02:17 PM

Little bit far away from me to go get some bait lol. May just have to wait until next summer and than stock up for the following winter.

CanadianBadass
12-11-2015, 03:45 PM

Early Spring they are stacked up in Whitemud creek in the city , Just go with a net and scoop away !

drhu22
12-11-2015, 04:32 PM
I wonder if those cormorants that hang out along nose creek might know?

FlyTheory
12-11-2015, 04:50 PM
what size tackle would you recommend for suckers?

Any action rod works, but medium light with 10lb braid is good. Using a size 8 single hook, swivel, and a weight. CBA is right though, my friends and I catch many before the spawning season with nets. Although I like to leave them alone when they're gettin it on. Treat others the way you wanna be treated if you catch my drift... ;) jk haha

pikehunter1989
12-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Early Spring they are stacked up in Whitemud creek in the city , Just go with a net and scoop away !

What kind of sizes are common? I've only ever caught bigger suckers in the north sask river. I only want the smaller ones under like 12"

FlyTheory
12-11-2015, 05:13 PM
What kind of sizes are common? I've only ever caught bigger suckers in the north sask river. I only want the smaller ones under like 12"

Range from 6"-20", most common seem to be around 14". They have several spawning sites throughout the creek and you can actually watch schools of them do their thing. I only saw about 12 this year at the place I observe them. Although in 2012 I witnessed ~200 of different individuals spawning.

waterninja
12-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Most trout ponds that can over winter have suckers, but the grocery store is faster
Quite honestly I have never seen or heard of a trout pond that overwinters that has suckers. Are you thinking of those little 2" sticklebacks?

aulrich
12-11-2015, 05:52 PM
OK bad word pond , a stocked trout lake like chain has suckers

HowSwedeItIs
12-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Any action rod works, but medium light with 10lb braid is good. Using a size 8 single hook, swivel, and a weight. CBA is right though, my friends and I catch many before the spawning season with nets. Although I like to leave them alone when they're gettin it on. Treat others the way you wanna be treated if you catch my drift... ;) jk haha

Right on haha thanks

jkind
12-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Quite honestly I have never seen or heard of a trout pond that overwinters that has suckers. Are you thinking of those little 2" sticklebacks?

I have caught suckers in both Dickson and Phyllis.

Red Bullets
12-12-2015, 01:34 AM

Lots of the stocked reservoirs that are part of a dammed creek system have suckers. The dugout ponds maybe not as much.

tallieho
12-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Ashland dam has lots.bait on the btm.

58thecat
12-12-2015, 07:26 AM

Ok so just to clear this up when you mean suckers are you talking fish or leaches? I was referring to leaches.

Newellknik
12-12-2015, 09:01 AM
I had a huge supply for a couple of years . 6 to 10 in. out of a south
Canal . But still did better on 8 " black Mackerel from Super Store .
I did catch a couple of big spring eyes on those Canal suckers ...
You got to have it all ....

CanadianBadass
12-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Ive seen some as low as 10-12"

Warmbreeze
12-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Chain Lakes by Athabasca?

I have only ever seen suckers in spring creeks >24 inches. I wouldn't mind targeting them for fun when its slow in January and February. What bait do you use for them? I wonder if it would be worth it and if you can get a steady bite, or is it always random and slow.

I do great with the mackerel and hearing from Superstore for tip-up pike.

aulrich
12-12-2015, 03:24 PM
No in the south

pikehunter1989
12-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Ok so just to clear this up when you mean suckers are you talking fish or leaches? I was referring to leaches.

I was referring to suckers as in the fish.

Red Bullets
12-12-2015, 06:17 PM
You are right in collecting your bait fish next summer and fall and freeze them.
Freeze them individually on a sheet first and then bag them. Then you don't have a messy block of minnows to thaw.

In late May and early June the dacy minnows and spot tail shiners school in the shallows at lakes. Lakes like wizard or pigeon have endless schools in 2 to 5 feet of water in the spring. Collect a pail full in minutes.

Ashland dam would be a great place to collect 6 to 10 inch suckers during open water.

I think sucker fishing would be pretty slow in winter. A tip up with mealworms right on the bottom maybe.

Zip-in-Z
12-12-2015, 06:36 PM
These guys were in the order of 8-10" from Dickson Trout Pond, should of kept a few for the Sylvan Lake Gator, however, released them.

Z-z

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/Boomko1/8_zpssr4wal9p.jpg

Brandon5555
12-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Little red deer river near water valley is full of them. Head upstream from the campground and net away. Bring your spin or fly gear for some bastardly browns and whites

leloinjunior
03-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Agreed. NSR in any of the holes attached to the big cement run-off outlets. Average is smaller ones, although you will occasionally get bigger ones.

mikebossy
03-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Carson lake is full of em, and believe it or not you can catch em on the surface with flies, crazy but true, i couldn't believe my eyes when i did it

mikebossy
03-13-2016, 08:56 PM
You are right in collecting your bait fish next summer and fall and freeze them.
Freeze them individually on a sheet first and then bag them. Then you don't have a messy block of minnows to thaw.

In late May and early June the dacy minnows and spot tail shiners school in the shallows at lakes. Lakes like wizard or pigeon have endless schools in 2 to 5 feet of water in the spring. Collect a pail full in minutes.

Ashland dam would be a great place to collect 6 to 10 inch suckers during open water.

I think sucker fishing would be pretty slow in winter. A tip up with mealworms right on the bottom maybe.

do you still see these schools of minnows in Pigeon? i remember them 20 yrs ago, but as far as within the last 5 haven't seen any, think the walleye have eaten every last one