PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lake Athabasca

Bobby B.
12-13-2015, 09:18 PM
So far, I've fished Carson with success, Birch with success, and am wanting to try somewhere new. Has anyone fished Chain (trout) lately?

Bobby

Pencilweed
12-13-2015, 09:35 PM
The trout fishing at Lower Chain is outstanding, but the table quality is very poor as I've found the fillets to contain a some kind of Parisite or as if sprinkled with pepper,anyone else expierences this?

Pencilweed
12-13-2015, 09:48 PM
Oh,on a side note I caught a 26inch hog on a 4inch olive Marilou jig last march that was released just before dark.

waterninja
12-14-2015, 08:39 AM
The trout fishing at Lower Chain is outstanding, but the table quality is very poor as I've found the fillets to contain a some kind of Parisite or as if sprinkled with pepper,anyone else expierences this?
Had the same thing happen to me a couple (2?) years ago at another lake. Had a thread about it here. Took it to fish and game and they said it was a parisite but was safe to eat. I didn't and wouldn't eat it anyways with that "pepper" look. Biologist also said that parasite is more prevalent in the summer, though mine was caught through the ice.

To the OP.... You might be able to catch a Tiger Trout in Chain Lake. One of the 3 lakes stocked this year. Volunteer release program in effect (if thats the right Chain lake)

Bobby B.
12-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Yes, those black spots are a parasite commonly referred to as flukes. They are quite common in lakes with muddy bottoms. The flukes are more prevalent on the skin than in the meat of the fish. Either way, they are killed during the cooking process and are not harmful in any way to humans. For the most part, I'm a C+R guy any way.

I was chatting with a stranger at TFH. He fishes Chain quite often and claimed to catch a couple of 17" plus trout every outing.

Bobby

Safety D
12-14-2015, 10:06 AM
chains on fire right now I bet

equad4
12-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Heading up that way tomorrow, I will post results. Wondering what fish is in that Meyer lk near chain and how to access.

astepanuk
12-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Good luck have you tried crooked before thinking of giving that a **** next time I'm down

Bobby B.
12-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Good luck have you tried crooked before thinking of giving that a **** next time I'm down

Sorry, I don't know what you mean.

Bobby

astepanuk
12-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Have you tried crooked lake thought I said give it a shot next time.

Sooner
12-15-2015, 11:28 PM
Heading up that way tomorrow, I will post results. Wondering what fish is in that Meyer lk near chain and how to access.

We used to do Chain in the am, Meyers in the afternoon. Meyers has pike and perch. You can access it from a cutline off the Chain lakes road. At least you used to be able to. Been a long time since i fished there.