PDA

View Full Version : Hike in Ice Fishing

waterfowler
12-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Just trying to see if I can get any info on lakes in the foothills/Mountains to snowshoe into and ice fish? Found a couple lakes using an old article by ACA but most of the other lakes I've looked into are inaccessible due to highway 40 closure. Preferably lakes near the Crowsnest Pass or South of Canmore.

bigfis
12-15-2015, 11:45 AM
I hiked up to elbow lake on Nov 29 and the brookies were plenty hungry and had a great time. I would also be interested if any one else has any hike in lakes to give a try.

JReed
12-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Always wanted to try a hike-in ice fish, but I don't have a hand auger to pack, just a heavy gas auger.

What i've found in browsing the regulations is that the hard to get to alpine lakes are open all year around. The easier accessed lakes like elbow or chester usually close for the winter or have a hurdle like winter gates to keep people out.

I have a couple alpine lakes in mind that wouldn't be too hard to access, PM me if you guys want to set something up

Commander B
12-16-2015, 12:16 AM
Hector Lake just past Lake Louise at the junction of 93 and 1 has had my interest for a while. At 3 km not a serious hike but is said to have a river crossing. Not sure if bridge is included. Any one ventured in?

B.

Scott N
12-16-2015, 06:07 AM
Just thinking out loud here, but you might be able to snowshoe up to Window Mountain Lake near the Crowsnest Pass. I'm not actually sure if that's advisable since I've never gone up in winter, but it might be worth some more research. It's gorgeous up there, the hike in isn't overly long or steep, and I believe it's open to fishing all year (double check the regs on that one).

Pikecrazed
12-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Hector Lake just past Lake Louise at the junction of 93 and 1 has had my interest for a while. At 3 km not a serious hike but is said to have a river crossing. Not sure if bridge is included. Any one ventured in?

B.

The river tends to freeze up later in the season and if it doesn't you can get across on a section where the river splits into a bunch of different smaller creeks and that tends to freeze well I backcountry ski off the lake a bunch

Kingfisher
12-16-2015, 01:30 PM
J Reed I am in Calgary. Many years ago I used to snowshoe into some remote lakes and ice fish. I still have a 6" auger that I bought more than 30 years ago. It folds up so it is easy to carry. Send me a PM.

Heavy K
12-16-2015, 05:20 PM

B.

There is no bridge, and unfortunately, you're not allowed to ice fish in the National Park. There's lots of places to go in K-country and environs though.

HK