PDA

View Full Version : Can you drive on pigeon yet?

rapalaman
12-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has been driving around on mulhurst bay yet id like to go out today after work for the last light walleye bite. Just thougjht id check first.

thanks. Greg.l

Mitchthefisher
12-15-2015, 01:49 PM
Not even close i would not even put a skidoo on. Only 5"s in some spots and ice is rotten underneath, breaks in big chunks when drilling holes.

Mitchthefisher
12-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Maybe after a really cold week

PlayDoh
12-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has been driving around on mulhurst bay yet id like to go out today after work for the last light walleye bite. Just thougjht id check first.

thanks. Greg.l

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/15/51005678a336bde898a7237cc5ca7349.jpg

Mitchthefisher
12-15-2015, 02:15 PM
I found 5-11"s of white ice at pigeon at 100-200 yards off shore and quit going further than 300 yards because ice really started to turn to ****.

SNAPFisher
12-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Rapalaman, now that you have the info, if you still drive out....well, Darwin award for you.

Burbotism
12-16-2015, 05:43 AM
Not even close i would not even put a skidoo on. Only 5"s in some spots and ice is rotten underneath, breaks in big chunks when drilling holes.

This statement is right, was there Sunday with ATV good thing didn't go past 20 yards from shore not worth it.

degasvegas
12-16-2015, 07:21 AM
I for one, won't be driving on any lakes for a little while still in the central AB area. The warm weather coupled with the insulating snow has made the ice unpredictable at best. Even if you measures 12" in one area, you can easily find 4-5" just a few feet awake.

Be careful out there everyone.

rapalaman
12-16-2015, 06:50 PM
i think i will wait till the weekend before checking ice thank you for the update boys.

DonTreadOnMe
12-16-2015, 07:09 PM
I would check and see what your insurance provider says about it first...
But that's just me.

Pinhead
12-16-2015, 08:17 PM
I was there today, 8-10 inches of good ice, drove out with my side by side.

1 walleye, 1 pike, 1 big burbot.

Dan

rapalaman
12-16-2015, 10:48 PM
I would check and see what your insurance provider says about it first...
But that's just me.

Lol I did they said I'm fully covered but only if the whole vehicle goes through lol I thought it was a little weird but I'll take it beside I never drive out unless I see other trucks out there I prefer 9" to 12" before I ever drive out anyway.

rapalaman
12-16-2015, 10:51 PM
This little cold snap should put enough good ice on to drive out by the weekend I saw four trucks on pigeon this afternoon but I think it's a bit early.

Mackinaw
12-16-2015, 11:10 PM
I was there today, 8-10 inches of good ice, drove out with my side by side.

1 walleye, 1 pike, 1 big burbot.

Dan

Where you out at PP or mulhurst?

Mack

Pinhead
12-17-2015, 12:50 AM
Where you out at PP or mulhurst?

Mack

PP

Dale S
12-17-2015, 05:31 AM
From someone that has been on the bottom of a lake in a truck. It's your worst nightmare. Kind of like being buried alive. It's still a vivid memory 30 years later.
I don't like these threads. Would you drive on the ice just from someone's word over the internet, saying it was good to go. Always check the ice yourself before venturing out on a lake for the first time. Be safe.

Burbotism
12-17-2015, 06:09 AM
From someone that has been on the bottom of a lake in a truck. It's your worst nightmare. Kind of like being buried alive. It's still a vivid memory 30 years later.
I don't like these threads. Would you drive on the ice just from someone's word over the internet, saying it was good to go. Always check the ice yourself before venturing out on a lake for the first time. Be safe.

This is not your thread! If you don't like it then don't quote plain and simple!:argue2: The OP is looking for some info..

DonTreadOnMe
12-17-2015, 06:45 AM
This is not your thread! If you don't like it then don't quote plain and simple!:argue2: The OP is looking for some info..

...And Dago gave some of the best advice on this thread. Haven't seen you contribute anything useful to this thread.

Dale S
12-17-2015, 06:55 AM

Thank you.

crownb
12-17-2015, 07:25 AM

I would follow dago's advice, thankyou dago for contributing. I think somebody needs to drink some happy juice.:snapoutofit:

Mackinaw
12-17-2015, 07:34 AM
PP

Thank you

Mack

EZM
12-17-2015, 04:42 PM

too much caffeine?

Dago was offering his honest advice and caution to those people who would seek to drive on the ice in early season.

I'm sure many members, like myself, appreciate the experience and advice other members can share with us.

I agree with him - check it out for yourself - I am cautious (perhaps overly cautious, when driving on the ice). Better safe than dead. It's a preventable tragedy that is 100% preventable that happens every year.

SNAPFisher
12-17-2015, 05:29 PM

The attitude of some on this board is pathetic. You being one of them. No compassion, no guts, and no sense. Too bad it has to be this way.

SNAPFisher
12-17-2015, 05:32 PM
I agree with him - check it out for yourself - I am cautious (perhaps overly cautious, when driving on the ice). Better safe than dead. It's a preventable tragedy that is 100% preventable that happens every year.

X2, also need to point out the original OP post which is hardly...well thought out to begin with. Driving on the ice??? This early and with warm weather leading up to it??? Good luck to the OP!

rapalaman
12-17-2015, 07:45 PM
X2, also need to point out the original OP post which is hardly...well thought out to begin with. Driving on the ice??? This early and with warm weather leading up to it??? Good luck to the OP!

Lol really snap? Not well thought out did you even read it? I think you need to change the language setting in your computer from huskavarnian to English!

I never stated or suggested anything I asked a bloody question that's it that's all

Can you drive out on pigeon lake? The next time you read a ? Fu$&en answer it with a yes or a no or say nothing and let those with real answers do it.

rapalaman
12-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Sorry you didn't deserve that I apologize I had a ton of smarts asses at work today and it boiled over a bit.

I think it s a very good idea to walk out drill holes and measure the ice and decide for ones self thank you for the ice thickness chart that was awesome!

I also think you guys are right the above normal temp with the added snow will keep the ice from forming even and consistent so everyone has to be diligent and carful.

huntsfurfish
12-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Sorry you didn't deserve that I apologize I had a ton of smarts asses at work today and it boiled over a bit.

I think it s a very good idea to walk out drill holes and measure the ice and decide for ones self thank you for the ice thickness chart that was awesome!

I also think you guys are right the above normal temp with the added snow will keep the ice from forming even and consistent so everyone has to be diligent and carful.

Better.:);)

SNAPFisher
12-17-2015, 08:54 PM

Really, then why post what you did to begin with? I think I called this exactly right and the proof is in your post above. Have a nice season.

rapalaman
12-17-2015, 09:19 PM
The original post only asked if anyone has drivin out at mulhurst yet? Is that really that bad of a question? And ya I will have a good season...:bad_boys_20:

RavYak
12-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Been fishing smaller and shallower lakes lately and there is no way on earth I would consider driving on them let alone pigeon. At the rate our ice is taking maybe in a month or so...

rapalaman
12-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Yep no prob I just haven't been able to get out there yet and the only reason I am asking is last weekend there was a full size truck driving all over wabuman lake with 6 inches of ice I just thought since pigeon is so much shallower it would have more ice but I guess not.

2alarmfishing
12-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Out yesterday. 7" of black ice. 3 inches of solid white ice. However where the wind kept snow blown off there is only 7" of black ice. This was at provincial park. Quadded from poplar bay to provincial park no problem.

headchef
12-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Couple of us drove out from Mulhurst Bay with our side x side's and popped a few holes and are seeing about 10". Ice shavings were quite damp and figured with a week of cold weather it should strengthen up. But with that said we'll be dragging our shacks out with our side x side, it's not worth the risk taking the truck yet. **** can go side ways so fast. Cheers and tight lines

bobalong
12-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Couple of us drove out from Mulhurst Bay with our side x side's and popped a few holes and are seeing about 10". Ice shavings were quite damp and figured with a week of cold weather it should strengthen up. But with that said we'll be dragging our shacks out with our side x side, it's not worth the risk taking the truck yet. **** can go side ways so fast. Cheers and tight lines

Bought a used sled a couple years back, don't take the truck on the ice at all anymore, except to park on the edge when there is lots of ice. Between the poor ice, and flood water the last few years I just find it easier and more relaxing just using the sled.

You can pick up a used sled or quad for around 3K, and the chance of going through is pretty rare unless you are trying really early in the year with only 2-3" of ice. Also much easier and quicker moving around the lake with a sled.