PDA

View Full Version : Getting off the shore for 2016

ETOWNCANUCK
12-15-2015, 08:29 PM
Hey guys.

After an open water season that saw many bodies of water with level drops,
And seemingly crowded areas with a lot more people around popular fishing spots close to Edmonton
Wab, Pigeon, NSR, East pit lake, etc.
I am more than determined to get off the shore next year more than ever.

So I'm looking for options.

A boat seems the logical choice, but maybe not entirely the most economical.

I live in a town house so storage is an issue.

I do own a F-150, so I have the capacity to transport anything plus my gear.

Often go fishing with two or 3 buddies so being able to accommodate other people is a priority.

Budget is a few thousand dollars, but not more than $5000

Aside from the obvious a boat, is there a means to get off the shore I'm perhaps not taking into consideration?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

EZM
12-15-2015, 08:50 PM
I would look into a used little 12 or 14 foot aluminum boat with a 9.9 to 20 hp outboard.

2 guys can rack that empty tinner on your truck and the fuel tank and outboard would slide into the box. The tinner could live in a corner in the garage or around the side yard (if you have one).

vital shok
12-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Some sort of a inflatable like s zodiac or something mines from 1978 and folds up into a minimal space really.inbet you I could store the thing under my bed if I had to.I have seen those fold up boats on Kijji as well.

ETOWNCANUCK
12-15-2015, 08:58 PM
I would look into a used little 12 or 14 foot aluminum boat with a 9.9 to 20 hp outboard.

2 guys can rack that empty tinner on your truck and the fuel tank and outboard would slide into the box. The tinner could live in a corner in the garage or around the side yard (if you have one).

I do have a canopy with a pretty good rack system

Dewey Cox
12-15-2015, 09:43 PM
I also vote for the car topper tin boat.
I have one, and don't even use it that often in a year, and I wouldn't dream of living life without it.
I only have a 5hp motor for it, and when I'm on the water I wish it was bigger. 99% of the time I touch it is to move it around in my garage, and then I'm glad its so small. Also when I'm camping I run the boat onto shore and take that light little motor to my campsite with me. I sleep a lot better knowing where the motor is. If it was heavier I'd probably leave it in the boat and worry.

RavYak
12-15-2015, 09:47 PM
If you have a garage with some wall space imo you can't beat a fishing kayak. Talk your buddies into buying kayaks too and your set lol.

My fishing buddy has a nice lund boat and we both have kayaks. We probably used the kayaks 5 times as much as the boat.

iliketrout
12-16-2015, 07:31 AM

X2. It will open up many more fishing opportunities for you! I would go for a 14' if I were you. A 12' will do, but it's nice to have the extra room if you're like me and pack every hook and lure you can think of. If the budget allows it, get the biggest motor the transom is rated for. Very rarely do you say "this boat has too much power'!

RavYak
12-16-2015, 08:42 AM
If you buy a tinner try to get a deeper v model like a mirrocraft. I had one and also a shallower one like sears model and the mirrocraft was 3 times the boat. Way more stable and it was a smaller boat too.

ETOWNCANUCK
12-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Hey guys thanks for the help

I do not have a garage

I am thinking more the tinny route myself and am concerned over stability so I will look at deeper V like Rav suggested

The Fisherman Guy
12-16-2015, 11:50 PM
Check out Marlon flat bottom Jon boats. More stable than a tinner, drafts less water and is much much wider than a tinner of the same length. Same weight too. They are made in Canada, and there's a dealer in Stony Plain. Call and ask for Ian Hlus. Great salesman, I had never met him until I contacted Marlon asking to know more.

You can buy one new, put it on top of your truck and still have plenty of cash left over for a motor and accessories.

I have a 14' and it is the best 14' I've owned - this being my 5th 14' boat.

Yes you can buy an el cheapo Tracker for half the cost - but it's less than half the boat. Tippy, thin, and fragile.

Good luck with whatever you choose, it opens up a whole new world.

TROLLER
12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
What ever boat you decide on, make sure it is the deepest V you can find.

When you get hit with a sudden wind and it will and does happen you want that deep V, it will ride the waves much safer and get you back to shore.

Good luck with your hunt.

Newellknik
12-17-2015, 09:02 AM
I'm impressed .....I like the way it doesn't plow .....

How much are these .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMY8nTozraM

The Fisherman Guy
12-17-2015, 11:14 AM
I'm impressed .....I like the way it doesn't plow .....

How much are these .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMY8nTozraM

Two 200lb+ guys can stand on one side of the boat, touching the gunwales and the boat will not tip.

A 14 ft new will run about $2400 if I remember correctly.

But the specs are incredible.

Boat weighs less than 200lbs.

Impressive load capacity of 1320lbs!!

Most importantly, the hull gauge is an unheard of 0.0785" compared to Tracker 14' topper jon boats that have a scary 0.050".

With a beam of 5'3" on a 14ft tinner, there's plenty of room for 3 guys and gear.

I have a 2014 20hp Yamaha on it and I can get 30mph on flat water. I'm sure if I re-propped it, she would do 33-35.

It gets a 5 star rating from me, and everyone who's fished out of it.

Jamie Black R/T
12-17-2015, 11:27 AM
What ever boat you decide on, make sure it is the deepest V you can find.

When you get hit with a sudden wind and it will and does happen you want that deep V, it will ride the waves much safer and get you back to shore.

Good luck with your hunt.

^^This

that marlon looks like a quality boat but wouldnt want to get caught in some 3 footers with that thing.

I had and sold a Starcraft SF14 that was nice and wide with a deep v...it was an awesome multi purpose boat. Always got back to shore safely and didnt ever feel like i was going to die.

Okotokian
12-17-2015, 11:35 AM
If you buy a tinner try to get a deeper v model like a mirrocraft. I had one and also a shallower one like sears model and the mirrocraft was 3 times the boat. Way more stable and it was a smaller boat too.

So the addresses something I was wondering about as I'm in the market for a boat too. I would assume a jon boat would be very useful on shallow rivers and very small lakes (especially with a jet outboard) , but would be hazardous on bigger lakes when the waves get up there. Jon boat users chime in?

Etown, a cartopper is nice if you have others to fish with, but with something on a trailer you would be able to go by yourself easily. That's my plan. I want something big enough for me and my two sons, but also something I could take by myself. I figure I'll shell out to keep it at a storage place. I bought a canoe to fish with a few years ago but haven't used it too much... once or twice a year.