PDA

View Full Version : What's the best sonar for a reasonable price?

lromanchuk
12-16-2015, 06:39 PM
What are your thoughts gentlemen?

I'm going to pull the trigger on a camera or sonar, currently leaning towards a sonar. Who's got what? and what do you like/dislike about it?

Thanks!

huntsfurfish
12-16-2015, 06:43 PM
If you have the money, by a Marcum LX-9. Camera and fish finder.:)

PlayDoh
12-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Humminbird ice 35. On sale at Canadian Tire for $350 right now. Print off the online product page showing the sale price and go into the fishin hole and they'll match the price.
Only cause CT is out of stock almost everywhere.

If you can afford a marcum go for it, but in my opinion it's not worth the extra $200-$300 or more.

AdverseCity
12-17-2015, 09:42 AM
If you have the money, by a Marcum LX-9. Camera and fish finder.:)

As much as I love having both the camera and flasher in my LX-9 I'd rather 2 separate units. Using both at once is annoying and uses a lot of battery. 2 units would mean 2 batteries and a full screen for each one. I don't often use both at the same time but when I do I'd prefer having them as separate units.

CMichaud
12-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Humminbird ice 35. On sale at Canadian Tire for $350 right now. Print off the online product page showing the sale price and go into the fishin hole and they'll match the price.

If you can afford a marcum go for it, but in my opinion it's not worth the extra $200-$300 or more.

What about the Marcum VX-1P Sonar Flasher? They go on sale at CT on occasion as well and are $349 at WSS. The VX-1 Pro Flasher System is $429 at WSS as well (not on sale though)

1bluZebec
12-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Go with the marcum vx1 or a vexilar fl8se. Only thing is vexilar doesn't include a soft case worth 40 or 50 bucks and either does hummingbird unless you get the ice 55 which is over 500

Jamie Black R/T
12-17-2015, 10:15 AM
As much as I love having both the camera and flasher in my LX-9 I'd rather 2 separate units. Using both at once is annoying and uses a lot of battery. 2 units would mean 2 batteries and a full screen for each one. I don't often use both at the same time but when I do I'd prefer having them as separate units.

I tend to agree.

Its awesome to have it all set up at times but i find myself more often than not just unhooking the camera stuff and using the flasher as it cuts the weight of thing in half.

Love the digital screen of the lx9 and lx7 and the chart ability sets them way ahead of a conventional flasher IMO.

Dean2
12-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Vexilar FL8. The original flasher designed specifically for ice fishing is still the best, and I have tried all the others. Sold the Marcum after the second time I sent it in for repair, sold the Humingbird because e of poor separation in 30' of water. Still using one Vexillar I bought in the late 80s and another I bought in 2002.

You can fish for almost a week on one charge of the battery. The units and the battery will last many years with no repairs. Great target separtion and very easy to use.

aulrich
12-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Pretty much any sonar unit can be made portable, with a dollar store back pack , battery and some scraps of wood. Find yourself a summer unit on sale and away you go.

Every unit has ice type screens either a flasher or vertical real time. You don’t even need an ice transducer , I just used a zip tie to make sure the transducer hangs correctly.

PlayDoh
12-17-2015, 11:56 AM
What about the Marcum VX-1P Sonar Flasher? They go on sale at CT on occasion as well and are $349 at WSS. The VX-1 Pro Flasher System is $429 at WSS as well (not on sale though)

The ice 35 has a larger screen, dual beam and variable depth zoom.

PlayDoh
12-17-2015, 12:03 PM
Pretty much any sonar unit can be made portable, with a dollar store back pack , battery and some scraps of wood. Find yourself a summer unit on sale and away you go.

Every unit has ice type screens either a flasher or vertical real time. You don’t even need an ice transducer , I just used a zip tie to make sure the transducer hangs correctly.

This is certainly true, yet after a while of packing around just such a rig from hole to hole, I grew tired of it. Also after a few hours my Humminbird 778 with Ice Fishing feature starts to loose accuracy, and becomes almost useless. Not entirely sure why, cause I know its not temperature related and turning it off for a while doesn't fix it.

I'm gonna grab an Ice 35 once it comes in and use my "Rig" for my Daughter or friend to use.

huntsfurfish
12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
This is certainly true, yet after a while of packing around just such a rig from hole to hole, I grew tired of it. Also after a few hours my Humminbird 778 with Ice Fishing feature starts to loose accuracy, and becomes almost useless. Not entirely sure why, cause I know its not temperature related and turning it off for a while doesn't fix it.

I'm gonna grab an Ice 35 once it comes in and use my "Rig" for my Daughter or friend to use.

Have used and still do use a Humminbird 718, Lowrance LMS 332 and 337, And HDS 5's as ice fishing sonars. Prefer them to old technology.
HDS 5 has built in GPS as well.

If OP can find a good used HDS5 would make good ice finder and can be an excellent starter ff for boat too.

LumberjackLuke
12-17-2015, 12:17 PM
If you're on a budget and want high quality, go for:

Marcum vx-1i (better tech, better sonar)

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/79312/marcum-vx-1i-flasher

The Fish King
12-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Marcum showdown troller 2.0. 200 bucks. And handheld! Awesome unit. I prefer the vertical display that this one offers over the round color coded style of a typical flasher.

Cant beat it for the price!

FK

huntsfurfish
12-17-2015, 12:30 PM
These to help you make a portable unit for ice fishing or boat:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/marine-electronics/sonar-accessories|/pc/104793480/c/104707080/sc/104587380/cabela-s-sonar-hard-case/1400027.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsona r-accessories%2F_%2FN-1118472%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104587380%3FNets%3DWading-Staffs-Creels%257C

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/marine-electronics/sonar-accessories|/pc/104793480/c/104707080/sc/104587380/cabela-s-portable-sonar-bag-with-sonar-hard-case/2125581.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsona r-accessories%2F_%2FN-1118472%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104587380%3FNets%3DWading-Staffs-Creels%257C

EZM
12-17-2015, 12:49 PM
I like having a separate camera and separate sonar ..... I have a Marcum 825 and a Humminbird 385ci combo ICE. Both are outstanding units and I have zero complaints.

The sonar has built in GPS which is a HUGE asset as huntsfurfish mentions. Being able to mark a drop off, sand shoal, weed line or special spot and return precisely to the same area within a few feet will save you time drilling and speculating resulting in more time to catch fish on a proven and productive spot.

lsxfirebird
12-17-2015, 01:03 PM
Cabelas South side has a Marcum showdown troller 2.0 they are cheap and work good and very portable I have no complaints and I've had mine for a couple years pretty good target seperation

PlayDoh
12-17-2015, 01:32 PM
*sigh* I hate trying to figure out what I should do. I think I'm gonna give my rig a couple more tries. Mainly cause I'm poor, and secondly cause I'm wondering if the tons of shrimp I seen in my hole (that doesn't sound good) might have been what was making my 778 start screwing up.

I'd really like to know what makes a LX-7 cost $900. Seems like their priced in part to be what people will pay. I can buy a 50" or bigger TV for $900, or a GPS Side imaging 4000 Watt sonar unit.

*sigh*

Dean2
12-17-2015, 01:44 PM
*sigh* I hate trying to figure out what I should do. I think I'm gonna give my rig a couple more tries. Mainly cause I'm poor, and secondly cause I'm wondering if the tons of shrimp I seen in my hole (that doesn't sound good) might have been what was making my 778 start screwing up.

I'd really like to know what makes a LX-7 cost $900. Seems like their priced in part to be what people will pay. I can buy a 50" or bigger TV for $900, or a GPS Side imaging 4000 Watt sonar unit.

*sigh*

Next time you are out fishing, wander around and try the different units giuys are using. Most guys are more than happy to show off their toys so it is just a matter of asking. If you were closer to Edm I would take you out and show you the Vexillar and it would give you a real good idea of why I think so highly of them. Having fished with an number of different models side by side is certainly the easiest way to see which you like best.

Jamie Black R/T
12-17-2015, 01:44 PM

*sigh*

they are pricey but they work very well.

i fish with plenty of guys that still hand line while squatting on a bucket. To them im the dummy that spent 1500 bucks on a flasher...but when the fishing slows down, they wait to see what im doing before they move cause im the only one who knows if theres fish down there or not.

I have a bird 597ci ice and the lx9....the 597 works but is nowhere near as accurate as the marcum...esp in deep water. The multi color display on the marcums makes it so easy to know what you are looking at once you have some experience with it.

I wish I had never started ice fishing with a sonar/flasher.....i cant go without it now!

Pinhead
12-17-2015, 03:54 PM
CT has the H 35 on for $350 - $50 (card today) - $35 rebate.

There are a few in the city, I'm picking one up.

Dan

1bluZebec
12-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Also an awesome choice for the money and had a case the hummingbird ice helix5

PlayDoh
12-17-2015, 10:01 PM
CT has the H 35 on for $350 - $50 (card today) - $35 rebate.

There are a few in the city, I'm picking one up.

Dan

Thanks for reminding me of that $50 promo card deal, I would have missed out. My H 35 is in order so I should be able to use the promo on it. I just grabbed Xmas gifts to get the card. No CT south of red deer has a H 35 in stock.
So $265 for the Ice 35 is about as cheap as you can get a trusted flasher for.

I've played with the Marcums and Vex's and I guess if I had a cabin on a lake or wiped my ar$3 with money I'd drop $600-$1500 on a flasher. But I can't excuse it for the half dozen times a year I'll get to use it.
It's hard to get unbiased fair opinions on flashers IMO. One guy buys a Marcum and ends up with a lemon, returns it and gets a Vex that works great and now tells everyone Vex is best Marcum is iffy. Or vice versa.
I wonder how many guys would Honestly not trade their $800 flasher for an Ice 35 and $500? I don't expect anyone would admit it, or that every single person doesn't feel $500 is worth another 1.5" of target separation and the few extra bells and whistles.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not by any means an expert on all the brands, or won't admit I'd love a LX-7/9 or a FL-20 ect but I can't ever imagine myself dropping $600 or more when $300 will get the job done. And I'm not the type to cheap out.
Anyways, I'm preaching to the choir here I'm sure, lol.

CMichaud
12-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Whats a $50 promo card?

Edit - Never mind I see it on their site!

deerguy
12-17-2015, 11:00 PM
I like having a separate camera and separate sonar ..... I have a Marcum 825 and a Humminbird 385ci combo ICE. Both are outstanding units and I have zero complaints.

The sonar has built in GPS which is a HUGE asset as huntsfurfish mentions. Being able to mark a drop off, sand shoal, weed line or special spot and return precisely to the same area within a few feet will save you time drilling and speculating resulting in more time to catch fish on a proven and productive spot.

You find it easy to graph the lake? How much area does it do per hole? How long does it take for it to graph the area? Would like to get one to make a chart of my ice fishing haunts.

OP, I have an LX9 and an LX5, looking to trade an IPad Mini for an LX7 and will pick up the RT9 once they come down in price or I find it on an Internet sale. Safe to say Marcum is the way to go.

The LX9 is great if you are staying in the same spot for awhile, it's a pain to set the camera up if you move a lot. The flasher is the same as the LX7. Wouldn't give that up for anything.

PlayDoh
12-18-2015, 01:50 AM
I'm pretty sure he isn't "graphing" the lake, just marking spots. My 778 has a ton of spots marked and labeled like 'shelf' 'drop off', ect.

Also I think when someone asks for something "reasonably priced" their not looking for top of the line, $600-$1500 sonars.

Not sure why your after a LX-7 when you essentially already have 2, lol. But I take it your in another tax bracket than me. [emoji4]

If your planing on selling the 5 when or if you get a 7 lemme know plz. Finding a used Marcum is pretty rare around here.

PlayDoh
12-18-2015, 02:15 AM
So I had a look at the 385, and learned it does chartplot, which I know next to nothing about. So forgive my ignorance if he is graphing. Still wouldn't seem practical via ice.

Now I have another unit to consider damnit. Looks pretty slick too.

deerguy
12-18-2015, 07:36 AM
I'm pretty sure he isn't "graphing" the lake, just marking spots. My 778 has a ton of spots marked and labeled like 'shelf' 'drop off', ect.

Also I think when someone asks for something "reasonably priced" their not looking for top of the line, $600-$1500 sonars.

Not sure why your after a LX-7 when you essentially already have 2, lol. But I take it your in another tax bracket than me. [emoji4]

If your planing on selling the 5 when or if you get a 7 lemme know plz. Finding a used Marcum is pretty rare around here.

I love the 5, was using it the other day, she is my baby lol I'd sell the 9 long before I sell the 5 lol

Does your 778 have a gps function? That is something I am really looking for.

SKSniper
12-18-2015, 08:25 AM
I recently picked up the Marcum LX-3 on sale for $500 at fishin hole. I did my research first and decided this was the best bang for my buck (at least while on sale). It has the bigger battery than the Lx-1 and more output power as well. So far I am extremely happy with it, I think it was a very good investment.

35 whelen
12-18-2015, 08:40 AM
I have the ice 55 happy with it ,saw one for sale on here not to long ago.

HoytCRX32
12-18-2015, 08:49 AM

X2
I have a Marcum sonar and a separate camera...works exactly as you described although crowds up the little tent a bit

1bluZebec
12-18-2015, 09:09 AM
I recently picked up the Marcum LX-3 on sale for $500 at fishin hole. I did my research first and decided this was the best bang for my buck (at least while on sale). It has the bigger battery than the Lx-1 and more output power as well. So far I am extremely happy with it, I think it was a very good investment.
Meee tooo well wife got it for me for christmas and now I'm playing waiting game before I can use it[emoji23]

PlayDoh
12-18-2015, 10:28 AM
I love the 5, was using it the other day, she is my baby lol I'd sell the 9 long before I sell the 5 lol

Does your 778 have a gps function? That is something I am really looking for.

Ya my 778cx HD has GPS but needs an antenna. I use an older e-trex GPS I got for $20 and made my own output cable for. Used a USB wire so I can unplug it from the 778. Only cause HB wants too much for their antenna.

Told you I'm cheap. I'll macgyver anything to save from buying what IMO is over-priced.

It doesn't chart-plot but saves tracks automatically which really helps when zippin around sketchy lakes.

I'll post a pic of my "rig" to give you guys a laugh. AGM battery from a mobility scooter, on foam, in a milk-crate along with the 778 & e-trex, and transom ducer mounted on a broom-stick.

I might be a red neck. lol. Works quite well and easy to pack. The ducer used to give me grief and I considered getting the ice-ducer. But at $100 it seems more practical to spend $300 for the whole package Ice-35. And I need a 2nd unit for buddies and kids.

the pilot cock
12-18-2015, 10:33 AM

The fishin hole will only price match if there is a CT location that has it in stock locally. No retailer will price match on hypothetical sale prices where the flyer goes out but the place only has one in stock...unless they can phone the store and confirm current stock you're out of luck.

PlayDoh
12-18-2015, 11:52 AM
The fishin hole will only price match if there is a CT location that has it in stock locally. No retailer will price match on hypothetical sale prices where the flyer goes out but the place only has one in stock...unless they can phone the store and confirm current stock you're out of luck.

I've never had a place call up another store and check stock of sale items at every location. And I've price matched a lot. Yet I wont pretend to know what every retailer will or wont do......

Its not a "hypothetical" sale, its an advertised price. CT will order any amount you want in and give you rainchecks for them.

Only takes a week to come in, if everyone and his uncle goes out and buys the instock supply up. Happened to me on my Eskimo tent too.

Bottom line is if Fishin hole wouldn't match prices, then its their loss really. I guarantee you Cabela's or BPS wont be calling around town.

lromanchuk
12-18-2015, 01:45 PM
What about for lakes like Cold Lake?

Would the humminbird 35 be advanced enough for a lake of that depth?

I'm sure depths like that would narrow flashers down to a few that would work..

ROA
12-18-2015, 02:57 PM
Not sure about the 35, but I used a 55 and seemed to be ok but needed to be on the narrow transducer cone to be able to see anything down deep (150ft) and needed the gain set pretty high, even then it would loose the jig somtimes. I got the feeling it was not as powerfull as my summer time fish finder. The 35 has less power so it might be border line at 150ft, would like to know as I am in the marker for one as well.

Problem with the Marcums is that they only go to 160ft in the actual non-Lcd flasher models. The Vlexiar's only have zoom in the fl18's and better and the transducers they come with are only single cone width.

PlayDoh
12-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Product info says the 35 is good for 200'
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/ICE-35/

JohninAB
12-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Might have to make a trip to the local Canadian Tire and check out the Humminbird sonar.

PlayDoh
12-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Neither have done that for my price matches. I guess it depends on who you get.

deerguy
12-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Not sure about the 35, but I used a 55 and seemed to be ok but needed to be on the narrow transducer cone to be able to see anything down deep (150ft) and needed the gain set pretty high, even then it would loose the jig somtimes. I got the feeling it was not as powerfull as my summer time fish finder. The 35 has less power so it might be border line at 150ft, would like to know as I am in the marker for one as well.

Problem with the Marcums is that they only go to 160ft in the actual non-Lcd flasher models. The Vlexiar's only have zoom in the fl18's and better and the transducers they come with are only single cone width.

Where are you fishing deeper then 160' ?

lromanchuk
12-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Where are you fishing deeper then 160' ?

Cold Lake.

calgarygringo
12-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Do your research and you will see why an 800 watt with a wide beam is not ideal for plAces like cold lake no matter what some sales guy pitches you.
What about for lakes like Cold Lake?

Would the humminbird 35 be advanced enough for a lake of that depth?

I'm sure depths like that would narrow flashers down to a few that would work..

the pilot cock
12-20-2015, 03:32 PM
I've never had a place call up another store and check stock of sale items at every location. And I've price matched a lot. Yet I wont pretend to know what every retailer will or wont do......

Its not a "hypothetical" sale, its an advertised price. CT will order any amount you want in and give you rainchecks for them.

Only takes a week to come in, if everyone and his uncle goes out and buys the instock supply up. Happened to me on my Eskimo tent too.

Bottom line is if Fishin hole wouldn't match prices, then its their loss really. I guarantee you Cabela's or BPS wont be calling around town.

I have had both Cabela's and the fishing hole confirm stock. There is currently an item at WSS that I'd rather buy at the fishin hole and I was told that they will only price match once they've confirmed stock. There are stores that post sales in flyers but have no stock just to get people in the door... Case in point, Cabela's October flyer had a candle that the wife wanted. Great price but not a single one in stock at any store in Canada and the item was on backorder with the vendor. It's a common retail strategy. Might not be something CT does, but it definitely happens.